Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Dusk and Jubilee, (an adoption story)

OK, I built my new cage and wanted to adopt a third female to go with my other two. (female cage is roughly 2.5 ft by 7 ft.). So I went to a woman's house who advertised on craiglist she had 6 guinea pigs, 6 month old females, and a male, and three babies.

When I got there she said that three of them were gone, all that was left was the two females and a male baby. They were in a 20 gallon long aquarium for fish, no hay, and the shavings were drenched with pee and feces. So being the pushover that I am, I took all three, because I just couldn't leave them like that. Imagine that just the day before there were 6 pigs in that tank!

She picks up the one who is the babies mom, and says "Ope looks like she is pregnant again! I bet the other girl is pregnant too. You get more guinea pigs for your money!" Oye!

So the information I have is this, Baby is supposed to be 5 weeks old to the day yesterday. Mom is supposed to be 6 months old tomorrow. Back to back pregnancies can't be good for her. She is very skinny, I can feel her ribs, is that normal, like they feel almost splayed outwards, could that be from pregnancy? She weighed 825grams this morning. Her belly sure is pudgy, but the rest of her isn't. She is orange and black stripes like a tiger, and we named her dusk.

What should be my next course of action for her?

I put baby in with my shadow, no quarantine because I just didn't have a cage for him. Risky I know, but I did what I could. Shadow is such a lovey boy, he has been snuggling the baby all day, its so sweet, such an easy introduction. Baby is named midnight moon by my son, and is straight black except for a couple white hairs in a spot in his nose.

The other female, I see no signs of pregnancy, but certainly don't really know much about it. I guess i will just keep en eye on her. She is lovely though, awesome personality, running around her cage, she seems so happy to be stretching her legs. I named her Jubilee. She is white and grey.

I guess I will go read as much as I can about pregnancy and babies while I wait for some replies. I never bothered much since I wasn't planning on breeding.
    Last edited by Paula; 07-21-12 at 07:49 pm.

2. "Thank you, delekatala, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    97 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Re: Dusk and Jubilee, (an adoption story)

It was so sweet that you took all 3. Now they are in a better home where they can get the care that they truly need. I'm a huge pushover as well so I would have done the same thing.

But about the pregnancy and maybe possible pregnancy, all you can really do right now is read up about it and get as much knowledge as you can and also play the "waiting game" to see if any babies arrive in a few weeks.

I hope all goes well with your new additions. Good Luck with everything and I hope the pregnant mom has a good delivery. Oh if she is really pregnant, once the babies are born you will need to sex them at 2 weeks old and separate any boys from the females at 3 weeks. Boys can be able to im-pregnant a sow as early as 4 weeks of age.

Good Luck again and keep us all posted on all your piggies. We would also love to pigtures of all them as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delekatala View Post
    She picks up the one who is the babies mom, and says "Ope looks like she is pregnant again! I bet the other girl is pregnant too. You get more guinea pigs for your money!" Oye!
    This is just the sort of thing that makes me want to choke people, or perhaps to drag them to a kill shelter and make them watch piggies being put to sleep because of careless jerks who bring more piggies into an overpopulated world.

Good for you for taking those poor things. I know others will have more advice, but the one thing I do know is that Mama and the younger pigs need alfalfa hay and pellets. Good luck with the new additions!

5. "Thank you, mufasa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

My advice is that you might want to bring mama to the vet. I've only had one guinea pig who was really skinny, except for his belly was pretty pudgy. I let my friends talk me into thinking it was "just his shape," and days later he died (I think it was because of coccidia, but I didn't have a necropsy done). That's not to say that'll happen to all guinea pigs shaped like that, but that's just my experience.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Update on my rescue piggies, and yet another question

I figured I would update on how Dusk and Jubilee are doing.

Jubilee first, I thought that we got lucky and she wasn't pregnant, even though she was housed with the male same as Dusk. Her weight had been steady. However she just had a rather large weight jump and now a bit of a pudgy belly, and I worry we are wrong. Also we noticed she had a lump under her chin. We had it lanced and drained and she seems to be recovering nicely, not as huge as some of the ones I have seen on here, but a bit scary nonetheless. She has a ton of personality, she loves to run laps around her cage, and tends to popcorn into the walls of the coroplast, its really funny. She is also a food thief and steals veggies from the other girls. She has become attached toe Genevive and they always seem to be together, which is funny because they have similar markings, people keep asking if they are sisters. Here are her stats.

Birthday 1-3-12
    Adopted 6-30-12 - weighed 832g, clipped her nails.
    7-10-12 - 780g, nails clipped, lump under chin
    7-13-12 - 782g
    7-17-12 - 781g, lump lanced and drained
    7-21-12 - 814g, notice a pudginess in the tummy in front of back legs.

Dusk is the one we were concerned about. She had just given birth 5 weeks before we got her, and she appeared to be pregnant again. I know they weren't being fed correctly and I was worried about her health with back to back pregnancies. Then to make matters worse she lost both of her bottom teeth. She couldn't pick up food. I have been hand feeding her, which actually is amazing! She went from being really skittish, to being a total lap pig. She is such a snuggle bunny now. Her teeth grew back in already too, I only fed her once yesterday to make sure she got her vitamin c, and she fed herself all day and had no issues. I really think she was malnourished and two pregnancies is taking it out of her, so she gets 50 mg of vitamin c each day, and a little extra veggies separately from the other pigs. Other than that she is very laid back, she lounges a lot and likes to sit up by my collar bone. She also likes to nose bump my cheek a lot when she is up there, LOL. She also prefers to face my left when she snuggles, no idea why, she will always face my left. We have taken to calling her mama pig. Here are her stats.

Birthday 1-1-12
    Had litter of 3 on 5-26-12
    Adopted 6-30-12 nails done, 750g
    7-10-12 - 842g nails done, bottom teeth missing
    7-11-12 - 836g
    7-12-12 - 861g ?? scale discrepancy ??
    7-13-12 - 838g
    7-17-12 - 843g
    7-18-12 - 847g
    7-19-12 - Felt tiny movements!
    7-21-12 - 904g, whoah mama! huge belly difference today.

Now, I have read if mama gets to irritable, you should separate her. However I haven't seen anywhere where it says to put her back, do I put her and babies back right after the birth? If not how long do i wait? I am trying to be as prepared as i can. vet says to separate anyhow, but i have read so many places that says not to, I am hoping to keep her with her cage mates if I can, the cage is huge, so space isn't an issue.

And lastly I sent hubby to go take a few quick pics for this post.

Here is an older one of Jubilee and Genevive, these two are peas in a pod.

And a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks
    97 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Re: Update on my rescue piggies, and yet another question

You don't have to separate them unless blood is drawn. The other sows will make good aunt's to the babies. They may also help with cleaning the babies as they are born.

Good luck with the mom(s) and babies. Post pigtures when babies arrive

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Re: Update on my rescue piggies, and yet another question

What a special person you are. To hear the stories of them playing (probably for the first time) brought tears to my eyes. They look happy with you and have a great. It is people like you who give me hope for a better world for animals.

10. "Thank you, cibrown, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

User Tag List