Thread: my 4 week old guinea pig wont eat any veggies except cucumbers and lettuce.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Star my 4 week old guinea pig wont eat any veggies except cucumbers and lettuce.

my 4 week old guinea pig wont eat anything except cucumbers and lettuce. I've
    tried giving her parsley/cilantro, carrots, and green peppers. I'm a little worried because this is my first guinea pig ever and I've researched for about 2 months before i bought her. I've been doing everything right for about a week now (that's how long i have her) and she seems to have gotten used to me already. but im afraid shes not getting enough vitamin c.
    i give her alfalfa hay and alfalfa guinea pig pellets. but i still want her to eat fresh veggies.

can anybody help me solve this problem???

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,223 Rec'd/5,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3789 Post(s)

Re: my 4 week old guinea pig wont eat any veggies except cucumbers and lettuce.

They're like kids, you have to teach them to eat vegetables. Pick one veggie -- green peppers are a great start. Dice them VERY finely, and sprinkle them on her pellets. Do this for several days, dumping the pellets and peppers when the peppers get old. She'll get enough of them by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and then you can feed peppers in bigger pieces and start dicing another vegetable. If she still won't eat it in big chunks after a week, keep doing it for another week. Don't add a new veggie at all until she'll eat the one you're working on.

I taught my two to eat veggies that way, and they'll reliably eat about 12-15 different things, and will try nearly anything I offer them.

You can also slice new veggies into matchstick-sized pieces, and roll them up in a big of lettuce. Of course, that requires you to handfeed, but it also works.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: my 4 week old guinea pig wont eat any veggies except cucumbers and lettuce.

thank you sooo much and i will try that ASAP!

User Tag List