Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Expect Shortages

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
I just got off the phone with my local feed store and they are already having difficulty getting quality timothy hay. I'm in Colorado. Their usual supplier is in Durango and they are already down to only having 1st cut and have NO irrigation water to grow anymore hay. They went to another supplier out of Idaho and still expect to have trouble as the summer progresses. Plus the price for a bale has already doubled.

You guys might want to make plans to stock up for your piggies or let me know what supplier is not going to have any problems with the drought and their fields.

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
I am planning to order a bale from KMS, you think she would be affected also?

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
I am planning to order a bale from KMS, you think she would be affected also?

At this time I don't know. I placed my last order with KMS for 3rd cut and my pigs love it. I only went to my local folks to save on the price and shipping costs. I'm going to email KMS and ask them how the water situation is for them. When I get a reply I'll post it on this thread and let you'all know.

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Yeah, because I am planning to purchase hay and pellets today from her. Thanks

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
The US is going through one of the worst droughts in over 25 years. Hay and tons of other crops are getting annihilated, and prices are skyrocketing. Corn and soy crops are getting wiped out all over the midwest.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Food in general is going to get very expensive. Be careful not to waste food and to buy wisely. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing more food imported from other countries this fall/winter. If you do buy food goods from other couuntries please be sure to wash it real good. The regulations for chemicles are much more lax in other countries...

animalhouse

Cavy Slave
Now, I know this is a bit off topic, But I see a lot of people when talking about KMS, talking about 1st,2nd and 3rd cut. What does that mean? Lol

Ratte

Cavy Slave
Now, I know this is a bit off topic, But I see a lot of people when talking about KMS, talking about 1st,2nd and 3rd cut. What does that mean? Lol

Her site explains it very well here (broken link removed)

rachelappel

Cavy Slave
the drought in the US has been horrid this year. thankfully up here it hasn't been as bad as other places and we can still find decently priced hay. though a lot of peoples yards and pastures are getting killed. i'm thankful we live in a swampy area so our pastures are still green for our horses. i hope every fares out well during this drought :/

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I wonder if Oxbow will be affected too much... I hope not! It's the only hay that I have available, that doesn't have to be shipped. D:

animalhouse

Cavy Slave
Her site explains it very well here (broken link removed)

Doh! Thank you! I totally missed that on her site! Thank you again!

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
Got word back from KMS and their crops are doing just fine and they don't expect any shortages. They said the weather has been so good that the crops are exploding.
Their response to me was quite comical regarding any man made or natural disasters.

So...Washington state is doing well and if the rest of the United States dries up apparently we can count of the NW sector and KMS to keep our piggies fed.

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
I wonder if Oxbow will be affected too much... I hope not! It's the only hay that I have available, that doesn't have to be shipped. D:

I don't know where Oxbow gets or grows their hay. You might want to send them an email and ask.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't know where Oxbow gets or grows their hay. You might want to send them an email and ask.

Oxbow is in Nebraska. I think most of the hay manufacturers have vast fields and store their hay. With big operations like that, they must have irrigation systems to water the fields.... NE is close to you so you should check into buying boxed hay from them and having it delivered. It would be fresher and you'd probably end up paying less buying in bulk.

hlover100

Cavy Slave
I have horses as well as my guinea pig (I need to get him a buddy) and the the shortages in hay is significant this year. I can normally get away with buying the amount of hay I need when I need it, but this year I'll be buying enough to make it to first cutting next year. I also plan to do this with my horses' grain feeds and my guinea pig's feed. It's not just hay that there's a shortage of, it's basically every crop.
Am I the only one doing this? If you have the funds for it, I would really recommend it simply for the peace of mind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.