Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Can Guinea Pigs eat too much?

Razberri

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering if it was possible to feed piggies too much? My 5 month old male ate 3 large piles of hay yesterday and I left another big pile in there overnight and when I woke up it was completely gone, plus the entire bowl of pellets was empty, plus he ate some lettuce yesterday. I read that guinea pigs typically don't overeat, so maybe he's just growing? Or do they typically eat that much?

I put some more pellets and timothy hay in there for him this morning and he's going to town on the hay, it's almost all gone!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Yes, they eat lots of hay. They need it in their cage 24/7, so you should probably put extra in there at night. It keeps their digestive system flowing and their teeth healthy.

Pigs get 1 cup of veggies daily, and 1/8-1/4 cup of timothy pellets (KMS, Oxbow, Sweet meadow) per pig.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto Miss Jean. They can't get too much hay, but they can get too many pellets and veggies. The veggies won't hurt them, particularly, but if they eat veggies in preference to hay, their teeth won't get ground down properly, and you'll be looking at expensive vet bills.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.