Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Compatibility/personality matching

So since Pigson is peeking out of his depression and he's wheeking more often, I've been looking into getting him a friend.
    I found a rescue of foster homes in IL (I live on the WI/IL boarder) and they have a TON of piggies. My only question is what kind of personality should I be looking for to match with Pigson.
    I'm prepared in the case that they don't get along, but i'd rather not have to separate them (of course)
    I don't think I should have problems, Pigson's still very young (I don't know if he's considered an adult yet) but he's still really playful and fun and extremely easy going. When Pignatius was alive Pigson didn't seem to even care or want to be dominant, so Pignatius was in charge.
    I don't want a pig whose TOO dominant, but I'm not sure another subordinate pig is the answer.
    I've been looking at this guy because, well... He's freaking adorable and seems like a little sweetie, but I don't know if he'd be a good match for Pigson since he's very chill too.

If anyone has any ideas on they type of pig I should be looking for it would be SUPER helpful!

ETA: I also don't know if I should get an adult pig or another young-un. I'd prefer an adult because Babies are crazy haha. But I don't know what would be best.
    Last edited by PopePopsicleIV; 07-17-12 at 08:07 am.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3849 Post(s)

Re: Compatibility/personality matching

Talk to the rescue, and tell them about Pigson's personality. They should be able to suggest possible mates, and maybe even arrange a "meet and greet" for you to let Pigson pick out his own buddy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

That would be preferable but since the rescue is run out of private homes and there are 5 homes ranging from Evanston, IL to Griffith, IN thats a lot of space to cover, especially since they're all a couple hours drive from my own home. :/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

i would go with a older pig, just because pigson is young. if he hasnt gone threw puberty yet it will be hell haveing two going threw puberty at the same time

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Nah Pigson is somewhere between 6 months to a year, so he's past puberty for the most part. I'm just not sure if he's considered an adult yet, I would think so?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3849 Post(s)

Pigson is nowhere near out of adolescence -- you've probably got a year to go.

I'd still talk to the rescue and see if you can arrange to meet a pig. How do you know one of their homes isn't next door to you?

Personality has a lot more to do with whether or not pigs get along than age.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I can try that, but i know as a fact none of them are close to me, they're all Mid/eastern IL I'm in Southern WI, its about a 2 hour difference haha, but to me that's not TOO bad. I'm willing to make the drive. But its just that there are at least 5 houses, and I'm told that all of the owners have full time jobs on top of this, so arranging appointments with all of them would be rather difficult as I work just about every day of the week right now.

Yeah I figured personality had more to do with it. I think I'm going to add another grid row to my cage to better the chances they get along later as well.
    I just don't know how Pigson would fair with the pig I've been looking at since they're both laid back. I have a feeling Pigson MIGHT take charge as he's gained a little more independence since Pignatius passed, but you never really know. I'll ask about a meet and greet though, just to see, maybe there's a house with more pigs than another that I can try first. The only thing is that I wouldn't have separate carriers, I only have one. Would I even need separate carriers if they choose each other?

Thanks
    Thanks
    40 Rec'd/33 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

I would bring them home in separate carriers because the carriers are so small and it sounds like you have a long drive. To bring the new guy home just use a plastic box with some hay and a hidey and water- that's all he'll need

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePopsicleIV View Post
    I can try that, but i know as a fact none of them are close to me, they're all Mid/eastern IL I'm in Southern WI, its about a 2 hour difference haha, but to me that's not TOO bad. I'm willing to make the drive. But its just that there are at least 5 houses, and I'm told that all of the owners have full time jobs on top of this, so arranging appointments with all of them would be rather difficult as I work just about every day of the week right now.

Yeah I figured personality had more to do with it. I think I'm going to add another grid row to my cage to better the chances they get along later as well.
    I just don't know how Pigson would fair with the pig I've been looking at since they're both laid back. I have a feeling Pigson MIGHT take charge as he's gained a little more independence since Pignatius passed, but you never really know. I'll ask about a meet and greet though, just to see, maybe there's a house with more pigs than another that I can try first. The only thing is that I wouldn't have separate carriers, I only have one. Would I even need separate carriers if they choose each other?
    I'm assuming you're talking about Critter Corral. Most of the guinea pigs are located in Steger/Crete area but each of the foster homes have some. Petfinder lists which guinea pigs are in the foster homes. There's a foster home in Evanston and Chicago which are the farthest north. If there is one you're sure you'd want to adopt, they'll move it to the foster home that's closest to you, which would probably be Evanston. They don't move guinea pigs around unless they're being adopted since it's stressful for the guinea pigs to be moved back and forth. You can put the new guinea pig in a box to bring him home as long as it has plenty of ventilation or you can check out Goodwill or your local shelter to see if they have carriers for sale,

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

yeah, I was talking about the Critter Corral. The thing is that I'm not sure which one i'd like to adopt. I was looking at Milky Way who I posted a link to in the first post. But I wasn't sure how their personalities would match up, because he seems to be a lot like Pigson. I had a few others in mind as well, but they're (of course) from different cities. I don't want to stress out those pigs, mine, or even myself by doing meet and greets everywhere, but I just have no clue how to match personalities, especially by petfinder descriptions. :/

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

yeah, I was talking about the Critter Corral. The thing is that I'm not sure which one i'd like to adopt. I was looking at Milky Way who I posted a link to in the first post. But I wasn't sure how their personalities would match up, because he seems to be a lot like Pigson. I had a few others in mind as well, but they're (of course) from different cities. I don't want to stress out those pigs, mine, or even myself by doing meet and greets everywhere, but I just have no clue how to match personalities, especially by petfinder descriptions. :/
    I volunteer with Critter Corral and do adoptions in my home but I'm in the western suburbs. We never want an owner to be unhappy with the guinea pig they select so the descriptions are very true to their nature. There's never any guarantee that two guinea pigs will get along but the larger the cage and the more care you take introducing them makes a huge difference. My two most bonded pairs were males. The two I have now have never even chased each other. They might tug at a piece of lettuce but they wait patiently for a drink and eat hay side by side. One is a senior and the other is a 3.5 year old neutered male.... I looked up Milky Way. He is cute and looks pretty laid back. Why don't you ask if he's ever shared a cage with another guinea pig and ask if they can see how he reacts to another male?

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Oh wow! I didn't know you helped out! That's awesome! If they've had cage-brothers before are they more willing to accept another? As in, are they a tiny bit less willing to fight down the line? I'm just so worried. I have a back up plan in case things go awry, and I'm planning on making the cage bigger just in case, though.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Oh wow! I didn't know you helped out! That's awesome! If they've had cage-brothers before are they more willing to accept another? As in, are they a tiny bit less willing to fight down the line? I'm just so worried. I have a back up plan in case things go awry, and I'm planning on making the cage bigger just in case, though.
    If they've gotten along with another one, they're either really laid back, willing to back down or lived with another one that backed down. You can usually tell which is the dominant one in pairs unless you have two laid back ones; then they'd get along with most any guinea pigs except for those that won't accept any others. The pair I have now is made up of a male I adopted when he was under a year. He never lived with any other guinea pigs until I had him neutered and housed him with my females. The girls were more dominant than him. He was afraid of them at first. Once I took in my sponsored senior (He's on the sponsored page on the Critter Corral site) I decided to see if they got along. Every time I brought them out together, they pretty much ignored each other. So, I decided to pair them and it went really smoothly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Okay, I asked if they've ever been paired up or met any other boars before, and she said that all of the single guys had never been paired up. I'm looking at four now. One lost his cage mate and sounds like he's had a tough life he's called Mol, then there's Milky Way who I listed before, Marcello who they say loves anything to do with eating (sounds like Pigson too! haha), and Depp who sounds like a little honey bunch. But since the last three haven't ever had cage mates before, I don't know how well this will pan out. I'm glad everything went well with them though. Is the one you have the one they call Roosevelt on the site? I thought I saw him in your photo album, but wasn't sure.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Okay, I asked if they've ever been paired up or met any other boars before, and she said that all of the single guys had never been paired up. I'm looking at four now. One lost his cage mate and sounds like he's had a tough life he's called Mol, then there's Milky Way who I listed before, Marcello who they say loves anything to do with eating (sounds like Pigson too! haha), and Depp who sounds like a little honey bunch. But since the last three haven't ever had cage mates before, I don't know how well this will pan out. I'm glad everything went well with them though. Is the one you have the one they call Roosevelt on the site? I thought I saw him in your photo album, but wasn't sure.
    Yes, I have Roosevelt but I call him Raichu R. He had a large mass removed and was older so he was never up for adoption. He's one of the sweetest guinea pigs I've ever owned. Give him a pile of hay and you're his best friend forever. I also had Curly Fry. I'm not sure if she's still on the list... She was listed as a male... ha ha.... She passed away a couple of weeks ago and was about 9.5 years ago. I looked at your choices.... boy, they're all really cute. I think I'd have a hard time choosing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Awww, yeah I think I saw her on there? I'm not sure though. And yeah, they all seem laid back, I'm asking about Mol though since he's been through so much and I don't know how it will have effected him and what negativity might stick. I'm kind of stuck on Milky Way though...

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Awww, yeah I think I saw her on there? I'm not sure though. And yeah, they all seem laid back, I'm asking about Mol though since he's been through so much and I don't know how it will have effected him and what negativity might stick. I'm kind of stuck on Milky Way though...
    Maybe they'll consider moving a couple of them so you can choose. It probably depends upon how many are being fostered in Evanston.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    214 Rec'd/151 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

so, like @bpatters wrote, matching personalities is good, meet and greet is good too. but honestly, when i adopted George from the rescue i was told he was a very laid back senior citizen pig, 5 plus years old, with missing toes and chronic impaction issues. so we figured he'd be great with my other pigs.

it's like someone poked the dragon and he woke up!! once george joined our herd he became a different pig! he was and still is THE BOSS PIG. he bullies the others, tho not badly, just enough to have no mistake who's in charge.

i only mention this because you'll do the best job you can trying to find and match a pig to yours, but in the end it's still a roll of the dice. given group dynamics, ever time you add another pig, it's a whole new world. and sometimes the inner beast gets awaken. or vice versa - agitated depressed pigs relax and are more comfortable.

good luck to you! these guys are soooo fascinating and complex sometimes. i hope it all works out so everyone is happy!

19. "Thank you, jacqueline, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
    so, like @bpatters wrote, matching personalities is good, meet and greet is good too. but honestly, when i adopted George from the rescue i was told he was a very laid back senior citizen pig, 5 plus years old, with missing toes and chronic impaction issues. so we figured he'd be great with my other pigs.

it's like someone poked the dragon and he woke up!! once george joined our herd he became a different pig! he was and still is THE BOSS PIG. he bullies the others, tho not badly, just enough to have no mistake who's in charge.

i only mention this because you'll do the best job you can trying to find and match a pig to yours, but in the end it's still a roll of the dice. given group dynamics, ever time you add another pig, it's a whole new world. and sometimes the inner beast gets awaken. or vice versa - agitated depressed pigs relax and are more comfortable.

good luck to you! these guys are soooo fascinating and complex sometimes. i hope it all works out so everyone is happy!
    There's never any guarantee that any two will be compatible. A guinea pig with issues might be more reactive or become a target. Impaction issues alone would probably cause irritability.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    214 Rec'd/151 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

@pinky - i probably didn't do justice to george's story, since i tried to keep it brief. george when living in the rescue was very laid back, passive, and calm according to the rescue mom. he was a "special needs" pig because if his age, he is missing two toes on his back foot, and he was chronically impacted.

once i got him home, and he was introduced to a new herd, he was not calm and passive any more. he became very active and absolutely "in charge" of the other 2. like i said, he's not aggressive in a bad way, just "the boss pig". he isn't at all irritable. when i pick him up, he's very sweet and calm in my lap - a bit of a cuddler.

because of all this new activity, his impaction problem cleared up. i was having to help him poo 2x day - now he poos all by himself like a big boy!!

everyone in the herd is happy and gets along for the most past - as much as three boars do i guess. i brought george's story up because he seemed to have a real change in behavior/personality when he went from one herd to another.

22. "Thank you, jacqueline, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List