Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Piggy Pup Problems - Keep finding white stuff

2 days ago I got two new guinea pigs(4 weeks old). They don't quite have a name yet, but they're both calico, one Crested, one American. So, today, I'm watching them, staying up all night and worrying, when I redesign the small cage they have which I am upgrading soon so don't worry. I put a paper bag from Sonic in, a Dr. Scholls eco-friendly shoebox with a doorway cut out, and a tissue box. Now, my sister told me to watch out for health signs. Younger piggies have darker urine, but recently, I've been finding urine with white stuff in it. And it's not just one urine or two. I've looked in the Sonic bag and I found a mother load in it. I might try touching it to feel if it's gritty, but it looks pretty powdery to me. Should I worry? The one I suspect to leave these things behind is the crested, who I am very fond of. She could be a show guinea pig if she grows up healthy. She has white and orange on one side, and, split with an invisible line, the other side is brown and orange in a perfect pattern.

On a seperate note, once in a while I'll find poop with what looks like urine on it. Is it diarrhea? If so, I might not have to worry, since they have been switched from pellets-only to fresh food, because I ran out of dry food (Oliver, you fatty, you.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0074.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	30317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0073.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	30318

P.S. They don't stay in the small cage. The grids are small enough to hold adults in. They live on a table secluded from cats and dogs.

Also, you can leave suggestions for names for the two little piggies above. The best names I came up with was Dodger and Nancy(you only will get it if you're a fan of Mr. Dickens), Biscuit and Teriyaki, but lastly, Blueberry Muffin & Avacado.

Oliver is away with my sister and her two guinea pigs at the moment.

Thanks.

Seriously.

You make me happy for doing this.

Now go.

You're kinda creeping me out.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Re: Piggy Pup Problems - Keep finding white stuff

What are you feeding them?

And yes, switching from pellets to all veggie food can cause loose stools.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I feed them green leaf lettuce, cucumbers, oranges, and rarely Wild Harvest Guinea Pigs Advanced Nutrition Diet because:
    1: It is not the best dry food for them
    2: It kinda attracts moths if it isn't put in a canister

But recently, I've found that my American female has been leaving the urine deposits. She got freaked out when I was cleaning the shoebox they loved(it's Eco-friendly, but they don't chew on it anyways) and she hid under some fleece and urinated. I should study her more, right?
    Also, she feels bloated around the stomach and normal around the chest. Should I be worried?

Thanks
    Thanks
    180 Rec'd/148 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Hi. To much cucumber can cause problems it should be given only 2-4 times a week. Also orange should be a once in a while thing not a staple food. Here is a great chart http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...tml#post254730 . Also a sample menu http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...gie-menus.html . This is a great site http://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#urine and will tell you what is normal as far as urine goes and a great many other things.

Do they have access to unlimited hay?

5. "Thank you, kananaka, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/47 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

The powdery substance sounds like calcium deposits in the urine. But, I'm no expert on that. I would say to check the links that kananaka left for you. The unlimited hay is extremely necessary, as it aid with digestion and will help keep your piggie from having poop problems, so I hope that you are giving them that. It's not expensive and they have it at walmart, it's not the best, but it will do the job.

The best thing you can do is check out the menus that are linked above and continue to pay attention to your piggies the way you have been. Some pigs have issues with certain vegetable causing calcium buildup in their systems, while other piggies do fine. So I would say to cut out their cucumbers and oranges for a while. The green leaf lettuce is great! Red leaf lettuce is also great. Maybe you should try some green bell peppers too. They'll give your pig vitamin C (to replace the oranges) without giving a possible build up of calcium and without too much sugar. They can have other bell peppers too, but they are higher in sugar.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

What do you mean, she "feels bloated around the stomach?" Bloat is an extremely painful condition, and the pig is not apt to be eating or acting normal if it has bloat. You can also hear a hollow sound when you tap on the stomach of a pig with bloat. If your pig's stomach is squishy, or if she's eating and pooping normally, she's not bloated.

The powdery deposits are excess calcium, which I don't think present quite the problems in young pigs as they do in older ones. But some pigs seem to be genetically prone to urinary tract stones, so it's certainly worth keeping an eye on.

You don't say where you are, but if you're in the US, I'd consider switching to Kleenmama pellets (KMS Hayloft, Grass Hays & Fortified Feeds From the Valleys of the Pacific Northwest). Yes, the shipping is expensive, but the pellets are very cheap, and you'll pay about what you'd pay in a local pet store for a good grade of pellets.

What kind of hay are you feeding?

As others have suggested, you need more variety in their diets. Ditch the cucumber, except for an occasional small piece, and ditto with the oranges. Bell peppers are very good for them, and you can give a cherry tomato, a small piece of carrot, endive, a slice or two of summer squash, corn husks and silks (throw away all the outside stuff that may have come in contact with pesticides), a couple of green beans, a little chopped celery. @kananaka gave you the link to the fruit and vegetable chart -- it's a good resource.

Poop with urine on it is not diarrhea, it's poop with urine on it.

User Tag List