Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Does anybody else use Aspen Wood Shavings?

CavyLoves

Cavy Slave
While we were at petsmart looking for bedding and supplies to stock up before the next cage cleaning we were going to get the little brown carefresh bag until my mom saw the huge bag of aspen wood shavings. It was alittle cheaper than the carefresh and alot more of it. First time using it..did any of your pigs have any problems? I havnt put them in yet, still using floor time. :)

Mitzi_n_Pip

Cavy Slave
I've been using Aspen bedding in parts of my pig's enclosure and have found no problems with it. It is fresh smelling, easy to clean, etc. According to many websites and books, aspen (but NEVER cedar or pine) can be used with piggies.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
First, I wouldn't get anything at petsmart if I were you, that's promoting all the bad stuff they do, ect. Second, I have used both carefresh and aspen, and personally I like carefresh better even though it costs more. It's less dusty, easier the shovel, ect. But you may want to try it and see what you think.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Aspen shavings aren't bad to use, but keep an eye on your piggies feet because it's more likely to cause bumble foot than carefresh or fleece.

Kota12

Cavy Slave
First, I wouldn't get anything at petsmart if I were you, that's promoting all the bad stuff they do, ect. Second, I have used both carefresh and aspen, and personally I like carefresh better even though it costs more. It's less dusty, easier the shovel, ect. But you may want to try it and see what you think.

I second that. I use aspen for my hamster's cage and it seems like he enjoys it.

dem1ba

Cavy Slave
I've used Carefresh and am now trying kiln dried aspen shavings. The girls seem to like it but I want to be sure it's OK for them. I thought aspen or wood shavings caused issues with some pigs... I am thinking of using Carefresh in their litter pan though.

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
I started the girls on aspen, and have since moved to a great generic version of carefresh, but only because it's cheaper at my publix to get it than the shavings. I think the aspen is better, smell absorbency wise and dust wise, but they kick up the shavings from the cage really easily and I end up having to constantly re-fill their bedding when they have that in their cage.

My pigs also like the softness of the carefresh better-- they actually sleep outside of their tubes. They never did that when I had them on the shavings.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
Yeah honestly, I miss my wood pellets. They were the best bedding I've ever used.

CavyLoves

Cavy Slave
@PigPandemonium There is no other place to buy pig supplies such as bedding and pellet food. I was at walmart and went to the animal section and saw they had timothy hay with the same bag I use. They had a bigger bag than the small one and it was cheaper than petsmart. I`m going to get the hay from walmart from now on.

Paulo

Cavy Slave
I was browsing on bedding alternatives..... and i do not have access to any commercial brand as carefresh or any other...fleece is also difficult to get (or too expensive) and I was thinking in:

- wood chips...now, i cannot determine what is in there as the best i can do is to ask a carpenter to share with me the wood chips.....
- old newspaper
- shredded paper (from my office)

Do any of you have any less commercial idea of a good bedding material on top of the once i have mentioned?

peacheshershey

Cavy Slave
I've use Aspen bedding in my guinea pig cage since I got my guinea pigs. I have never had any problems with it accept it ends up all over the house (which my parents don't like). I recommend the largest bag you can find , if you use a small bag it won't last long.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.