Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Unhappy Really Strange Behavior!!!!

Um, this morning my guinea pig, Cinnabun, woke me up with loud tugs on his cage & lots of noises. He's usually very quite & lays down casually but he was frantically trying to get out of his cage. So I put him in a lil holding pen hoping the change of environment would calm him, but he just got crazier & is trying to jump out of the pen by climbing the wall! I've been up since 5am trying to quite/calm him but treats, food, location change & carrying are NOT working! He keeps jumping up onto the top of the fence, I catch him, put him back in the middle, he lays down & does the whole thing over again. Finally I switched my guinea pigs cages & he burrowed everywhere until he just layed down to sleep. Wth is going on?!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts

Re: Really Strange Behavior!!!!

Something must have given him quite a scare, I've never heard of this behavior in pigs. I once had a dog who got parasites, and freaked out in a similar way thinking something was after him causing the pain/itch.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Neither have I. And the thing is i has to seperate my two males since they fought & made lil bun a temporary cage, now that I placed him in his old cage he is completely calm & sleeping. Could it be he missed it?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts

How large is the cage you keep them in? Boys generally need a bit more space, and a wider cage, especially during puberty.
    Unless there was any bloodshed during their dominance, you shouldn't separate.

When I separated my females due to surgery, one relentlessly tried to get to the other, climbing over everything she could until I moved the other further away.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

How long ago did you separate them and where is the other male? Is he caged alone now or did you put him back with the other one? It could be separation anxiety or he wanted to get back and battle more.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Originally I had them in a 1x4, its a store bunny cage, I only had 1 until my mom bought a 2nd that I wasn't expecting. I really want to build my own c&c cage but my parents won't listen that I do not need more store cages or help me with furniture moving in order to have the room.
    During their squabble there was blood, so I seperated them.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Well I've had them seperating for two days & the cages were near each other but they could only hear one another. No, they are not together, I'm entertaining the other male in the play pen while Cinnabun is now living happily in the cage they used to share.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts

The fighting is most likely caused by the too small cage. I'd recommend going as large as you can both in length & width once you build your own cage, and proper introductions on a new, large neutral scent free area.

I'd keep them separated as the current cage is too small for one pig.

9. "Thank you, HannibalLecter, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Once I build the larger cage, should I reintroduce them there or a completely new area?
    And thank you so much! I was honestly spazzing out.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

It sounds like the separation is causing the anxiety. I'd be really sure that you have two males and not a male and a female. I agree about housing them in a larger cage and trying to reintroduce them as long as they are same sex. I wouldn't house either of them in the larger cage until you decide to do the permanent move so there won't be any scent of either one in there. I'm not expert at reintroductions so I'll leave that up to someone who's done it successfully.

12. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts

You ideally introduce them on a new neutral area they are not well familiar with, preferably quite large with a pile of hay & free of any of their scents. If there is no bloodshed, you can then place them into the new cage & keep an eye on them.

Make sure you have two of everything at either side of the cage to minimize guarding in the beginning, and hideys with multiple entrances(Fleece forests, hanging towels, cut cardboard boxes, kiddy step stools.) If you can't place them in a neutral area, the new cage can work fine for introductions as long as neither of them has been there before.

Also make sure that all their things are free of their scents once you pop them both into the new cage. It's fine to wipe their things off with some diluted vinegar & wash any cozies.

You can read about other peoples experience here:
    http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=37

And if one or both are under 12-14 months, dominance & fights are often increased by puberty.
    Should you still have issues with a proper sized cage, you can divide it & try again with proper introductions once they are out of adolescence.

14. "Thank you, HannibalLecter, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List