Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Eggs

skittyginny

Cavy Slave
Your views? I'm considering starting to eat non-factory farm eggs. The hippie ones at Whole Foods..

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I don't know about Whole Foods' eggs, but I get mine from my dh's boss who also has a farm. These eggs have thicker whites and super orangey-yellow yolks from free-range eating. They are very delicious and have more flavor than factory eggs. The free-range eggs also have a better nutritional profile, although I do not have the exact numbers on my computer. Basically, they are MUCH more healthy and nutrient-rich. You can have eggs every day and not have high cholesterol, which factory produced eggs can do.

If you ever have seen what is done to the chickens you may not ever eat factory eggs again. (that is what happened to me)

skittyginny

Cavy Slave
If you ever have seen what is done to the chickens you may not ever eat factory eggs again. (that is what happened to me)

I'm an animal rights activist that volunteers in the education dept. at the humane society, I pound that drum!

But would it be wrong if I ate eggs? I'm a vegetarian and I never want to change that..

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
I'm an animal rights activist that volunteers in the education dept. at the humane society, I pound that drum!

But would it be wrong if I ate eggs? I'm a vegetarian and I never want to change that..

I think vegetarians do eat eggs, just not any meat. I'm not totally sure but I think vegetarians eat fish to. I believe it's vegans that don't eat any meat as well as other things like eggs. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Vegetarians that eat fish are called Semi-Vegetarian. Here is a great list (broken link removed) describing the difference in vegetarians and vegans.

If you want to eat eggs eat them, just buy eggs that are cage free/ free range etc.... since you are an animals rights advocate. Here is another great list to help you decide what kind of eggs to buy Egg Carton Labels : The Humane Society of the United States and it is from the humane-society 2 :D

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
actuallty vegetarians that eat fish aren't vegetarians. They're pesiscatarians ( I bet I spelt that wrong ). I do eat eggs as a vegetarian. I don't like too, but I do. My mom buys the factor farm eggs because free range is to expensive. Sigh. I just try not to eat them often.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Vegetarians who consume milk and eggs don't have to take B12 supplements. That's always cool when you don't have to rely on pills, fortified food, patches, or injections.

I think what I'd do is research the farm that produces the cage-free eggs. See what other people are saying, if there's farm tour videos/pictures, etc. I also look for eggs from hens fed an omega 3 rich, vegetarian diet. Those awesome omegas are passed into the eggs for your benefit!

In some hippie cities, you can also find people who do backyard chicken coops. Making friends at co-ops and such is always beneficial.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
If you want to eat eggs eat them, just buy eggs that are cage free/ free range etc.... since you are an animals rights advocate.

Cage Free eggs can be very misleading. They can still be kept in awful conditions and mistreated and in cramped spaces, they just aren't kept in little cages. Still not the best eggs if you are worried about the chickens.

Calliemay

Cavy Slave
You live right across the river from me! Anyways theres lots of farms on the illinois side of the river that sells farm eggs for almost half the price of the stores. All they ask is that you bring your own cartons.

MishImpossible

Cavy Slave
My mother gets her eggs from a lady that rescues battery hens. She has quite a few of them, but some of them are bald or have very little feathers so she knits them little jumpers to keep them warm in the winter. She doesn't charge much for the eggs and they roam about her farm free range. It's so nice that they're having a happy retirement.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
Got another question about animal rights stuff. Somewheres I had found a link about beauty and health products that does not test on animals. And animal freindly products does anyone know of a link like that?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'm actually a lactose intollerant vegetarian, so I have to take b12 :( My blood work showed that I have really low levels so I'm supposed to take a ridiculous dose, which hurts my stomach, so I only take half.

Tablo

Cavy Slave
I have to take SO many vitamins a day for kidney disease. It's not too progressed yet, but I do have very bad days, occasionally. Thankfully, I'm feeling better than I did back in December-March. Diet has MAJORLY changed since then, believe me. B12 is a life saver for me.

My mum's friend has free range chickens, and she gives us a dozen eggs whenever we run out (which isn't often, I'm not a huge egg fan, unless it's in a breakfast burrito or something, even then, NOT my favorite thing ever) and they're SO much better than the factory eggs. Taste better, better quality, IMHO, much fresher, ect.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I'm not a vegetarian, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with a vegetarian eating free range eggs! The chicken is going to lay the eggs, even if you aren't the one eating them... Just my $0.02

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I'm not a vegetarian, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with a vegetarian eating free range eggs! The chicken is going to lay the eggs, even if you aren't the one eating them... Just my $0.02

I've just learned pasture raised is preferable to free range when looking for eggs. Chickens can be labeled free range and still not have access to the outside.

Chickens can eat bugs and have fresh air like nature intended them to.What a chicken eats can effect the egg quality. Most chickens are fed a diet very high in corn, which makes the omega balance worse than it is normally. Omega imbalance can cause inflammation issues within the body.

Backyard chicken coops are sometimes worth checking out.

Skippie

Cavy Slave
@guineapigs248...Vegetarians do not eat fish. Most also do not consume eggs. If someone is vegetarian because they believe in respect for animals, they do not eat eggs because the chickens are created for the purpose of using them for their unborn babies and live horrible, horrible lives. Also, just because a farm is "cage free" does NOT mean the chickens are given a decent life. Like anything, there are tons of loopholes and farmers can get away with saying they are cage-free even if they live in deplorable conditions. You really have to do your research to know where your food is coming from, sadly.
@piggi_zone....check out this for information on products that are cruelty free. (broken link removed)
You can also look for that "leaping bunny" logo on products. However, some products will just say "Not tested on animals" or "vegan" while others are sometimes "accidentally" vegan meaning the company did not mean for it to be vegan, it just turned out that way and they give it to label. You can also email companies as well and as if the product is vegan, if they test on animals, etc. The following pages also help you to shop respectively...Caring Consumer 101 | PETA.org

(broken link removed)

• (broken link removed)

By not buying from these cruel companies, you are doing the right thing. Animals are not meant to be used, tortured, and taken advantage of by us.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
We buy eggs at the farmer's market. Cheaper than the free range eggs from the store plus we love that extra eggy flavor. Our family easily eats 2 dozen eggs a week sometimes more.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
@Skippie this may be of interest too:

(broken link removed)

Companies that were previously animal-testing-free are now going back to testing on animals in order to get into the China market.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
@guineapigs2468 , @Skippie , @skittyginny

Semivegetarian: Exclude or limit red meat, also avoid other meats
Pescovegetarian: "pesco" means fish, the only form of animal protein in this diet is from fish.
Lacto-ovo-vegetarian: Excludes animal flesh and seafood, still drinks milk, eats cheese and eggs
Lactovegetarian: Animal wise, only eats cheese and drinks milk
Ovovegetarian: excludes dairy, flesh, and seafood. still eats eggs.
Vegan: Only eats plant based food. May need supplements for B12, Zinc, Iron, or Calcium.

These stats were taken from the text book "Nutrition: An Applied Approach" second addition by Janice Thompson and Melinda Manore as a guide to different vegetarian diets.

Hope it helps clear some things up.

Last edited:

Skippie

Cavy Slave
@Wildcavy...I am aware of that. It is incredibly disturbing. Urban Decay actually made the right step by deciding now to go in that direction. HIgh-five to Urban Decay! Also, there are at least many companies making the switch to creating and selling responsible products as others are looking to make a buck by torturing animals instead. If we, as people, continue to support these inhumane companies, they will continue to search for ways to take advantage of innocent living beings. @Rhinos_mom..I am also more than aware of all the variations. However, most true vegetarians and vegans do not consider all the "extra" variations (which continue to expand in number) to be any real kind of vegetarian. We typically compare those to someone who eats vegetables but not kale, or someone who eats meat but not chicken nuggets. Either you are a vegetarian or you are not. That being said, I have also met people who say they are a vegetarian but do eat lamb, rabbit, and so on. Most vegetarians/vegans consider it to be inclusive. I have also heard the term "vegetabletarian" meaning someone who eats a lot of vegetables, as well as meat but likes to call themselves a vegetarian. Vegetarianism and veganism is a way of life, its a choice to make responsible, respectful decisions, even if its not convenient and when noone is around. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.