Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Not Sure if Breeder, but something isnt right

I was browsing around for babies just to see what there was around, and I happened to pop into craigslist to find this:

GUINEA PIGS YOUNG MALES UPDATED 7/4/12

Initially it caught my eye, being all caps and saying guinea pigs, (you can almost never find guinea pigs in my area)

The ad seemed alright until i looked at the pictures, wire, aquariums... I wasn't sure if maybe the people came into them unexpectedly and didn't quite know how to take care of them, from the beginning of the post that seemed likely, they seem kind-hearted saving the little things from Snakes.... But if you wanted to take care of them and save them even for a little while, wouldn't you learn about how? They seem to have enough decency to give them pigloos, but the cages? come on, man.

I also noted that there were five bunched up in one of the wire-floored cage pictures. Were they all just standing together or is the cage THAT small?

I just wanted a second opinion

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Re: Not Sure if Breeder, but something isnt right

In my opinion that seems like to alot pigs to "rehome".

Seems like a breeder to me. Also, when ever I look at adds of gp they always avertize for supplies. Food comes with, cage $20 extra. Because they no longer want the piggie. This add doesn't have it.

Depending on what people say- I might flag them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Yeah, I thought about asking about the piggies or even going to see them, but its kind of a far drive, as I live on the WI/IL boarder, just to see if some lady is a breeder or not, and If i went to see I'd probably get really upset if they were in those conditions and try to take them all, and I really can't fit all of those piggies in my home :/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    111 Rec'd/89 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Yeah, seems strange.
    The detail about the types available. Not offering any other supplies. Having only males.
    And the conditions (wire bottom cage, location).
    And one of them doesn't look well. Eye looks cloudy and watery.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

It did seem a little weird... I guess if they rescued them without planning to, they might have just dug uo some cages to hold them... But I agree with @go_ellie. I got my pigs on CraigsList, and they came with a cage, water bottle, etc. All the other listings (there were very few) offered supplies too. If more people think that if more people think that it's fishy, then definitely flag them. People like that should be stopped! >

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

I just flagged them. I just saw a video about petsmart. I am mad irritated, agravated, and sad. Why do people hurt animals! Whats the enjoyment??!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I really don't get it either. I mean, animals are living, breathing things, they deserve to be treated with respect and to be cared for to the best of whoever has them's ability.

I couldnt bring myself to watch that petsmart video :/ Also, I'm at work and I know I would cry for sure.

I don't necessarily think it's enjoyment in all cases, I think it is selfishness, carelessness, and/or desensitization that drives people to not care when they see another living thing hurt or in pain. I find people like that disgusting, though :[

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

I am going to come to this person's defence a bit. I got my guinea pig Gracie from the same kind of situation. The person I got her from rescued her from being snake food. She was not at all planning on getting guinea pigs but couldn't let them just become snake food. She rescued a bunch of them. I know she was ligit because I saw the add a few weeks before and wished I could go get them to but couldn't at the time. You never know what happened. The fact that she has ALL males I think is a good sign that she was being responsible not getting both sexes. Most breeders would have both sexes available. I agree with what was said before. Maybe she had a rabbit before and only had a rabbit cage with wire available, same with the aqaurium, maybe it was the only thing available. My Gracie came with nothing either because she was not a pet for the girl I got her from. They got her to just find a good home for her. She is probably asking for money to make sure they don't go for snake food again which is always suggested on here if you have to give away your piggie for any reason. I really don't see the problem with the add.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

See that was another thought I had! I mean, from the phrases she uses she seems kindhearted. And she didn't use any "breeder" terms. I just wish if she is being true, that she'd at least put something over the wire :/
    But yeah that's why I wanted another opinion, because i honestly couldn't tell what was up.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

They had another ad up approximately 3 weeks ago that I responded to. I recognize some of the pigs from that ad but some of the photos are different. The ad said one guinea pig was sold. A white abbie. I had the impression these were breeder pigs. I can't find the response I got from them but they ignored my question of why there were no females in the bunch. The last ad didn't show a wire cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Yes, I totally agree this is no way to take care of a guinea pig! I am just saying that maybe they have no idea how to because they just found themselves trying to help a creature they have no idea how to properly take care of. Maybe they called the petstore or talked to someone that has a pig and doesn't really know how to take care of them and said this was ok for them to live like this for a short time. @pinky do you think maybe she got them from that person since everything is a bit different? I could totally see a breeder trying to clear out stock of pigs not selling and give them away as snake food. Another reason why I don't think this person knows much is because they said the guinea pigs are colors you don't see in petstores which is funny because I don't really find these pigs that exotic colored.

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/54 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

I tried to look at the ad but it's already been removed.

13. "Thank you, Raine59, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I found the message and it said that she just lowered the price to $15 and will offer a discount if you take more than one. She confirmed that they're all males. She said her lease wasn't renewed and she's out of her house. Her name is Tracy. I wonder if she is a breeder and had to shut down her business.... I don't know...... I think what I'd do is visit (bring along someone) and ask a lot of questions. I'd hate to see them dumped somewhere. I know the ad is down but if you want her email address, I still have it and will pass it along.

15. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

She's a breeder. I found another ad from her on Craigslist Milwaukee (Wauwatosa) which is the same city the other ad listed. The email reply I got was from Tracy and this ad lists the name Tracy. It appears that, just like I figured, she's only trying to get rid of the males because she's breeding the females. What's interesting is, she's trying to sell off the adult males on Craiglist Chicago and is selling the young ones she's recently bred on Craigslist Milwaukee. There's about a 2 hour or so difference between the two cities.

Baby Guinea Pigs
    Last edited by pinky; 07-05-12 at 05:50 am.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

The original ad is reposted under "Community" Craigslist Milwaukee on July 4th. The city lists Waukesha, not Wauwautosa. I still think they might be connected. The ad isn't on Craigslist Chicago today. The two cities are 20 miles apart.

Guinea pigs need homes

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I noticed the phone numbers are different. Maybe it's just a coincidence the one's name is Tracy?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePopsicleIV View Post
    I noticed the phone numbers are different. Maybe it's just a coincidence the one's name is Tracy?
    I saw that, too, but I doubt that she'd list the same number when the ads are both on Craigslist Milwaukee. I noticed the one selling the adults is charging more for the Satin.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I think they're different people. I emailed the one selling the pups. Her message came back with a craiglist email address and she signed Tracy and a last name. She said the females were adopted and she only has a male left. The other one sent me a response from a personal email account that had said Tracy and a different last name.

21. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List