Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Adoption in Canada

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
I got my girls from the SPCA they go fast there but the adoption process is long you can also go on petfinder thats where i found mine they have lots of bonded pairs there

I prefer getting pets from previous owners, simply because they typically come with accessories and extra food. Also, the nearest pet rescue is rather far from my place. I have to take at least 2 buses to get there.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Here is my thought on Kijiji because they do allowed Breeders.

Never ever look at the cute babies ones, I have found 9 times out of 10 they are breeders. Go with older pigs (1+ yrs), they usually are people who are wanting to just rehome a pet store pig they got earlier.

Keep in mind they may say the pig(s) are healthy, this may not be the case and you may have to get them vet help.

I no longer adopt from my local SPCA because 2/3 pigs I adopted had easily treatable issues that as a rescue should have taken care of before putting the pig up for adoption. In my own way I support guinea pig rescues in Ontario, though I am in Alberta. In Edmonton (and as far as I know all over Alberta) there is no Guinea Pig only rescues. Most rescues don't take guinea pigs (the SPCA's do but that's about it).

Kijiji is IMO a sad place for pets. I hate looking on there because of breeders and pets that need rehoming.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
@CanadianComforts I agree with you about the breeders part. There are ads in which breeders claim to be owners. But, there are those who don't, and claim to be registered breeders instead. At the very least, they admit that they're breeders. There are also the novice breeders who breeds their pets just to make some money.

Also, kijiji isn't the only sad place for pets. I think that all rescues and places for pet advertisement are sad. And, it really doesn't matter where you get your pets from, you always risk the chance of having a sick pet. Even those from rescues, as you've mentioned.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@CanadianComforts, I totally agree. I hate going on Kijiji, there are so many sad animals. I got Sheldon from Kijiji, and was told he was perfectly healthy (which was not the case!).
I used to live in Calgary and there weren't any piggy rescues in Alberta when I still there. I live in Manitoba now and there aren't any piggy rescues here either :sad: Most humane societies here only deal with cats and dogs, and only Winnipeg has a humane society that takes small animals (but it's rare). It seems like many people here just set their small animals free when they get sick of them. :(

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
I hate seeing pigs needing a new home on any clasifieds list. One time while browsing what pigs need help i saw one that was only about 6 months old and he had to be rehomed because the family was getting a dog and they didnt know what the dog would do to the pig so they just got rid of the pig before even seekng the new dogs reaction.

I really love the BCSPCA they had vets look after any problems before putting them up for adoption and they give you a free checkup at any of their regestered vet clinics within 14 days of adopting them.

I know if you are looking to adopt pigs and live in the lower mainland or anywhere that you clould drive to vancouver area there is one society that fosters all of their pigs/all other animals. Its called the small animal rescue society of burnaby or something like that.

My expieriences with the SPCA were great here in BC. The pigs had lots of attention the lady who cared for them was sad to see them go but happy for them as well she was cuddleing nibbles while
adopting them out (papers and removing adds). We love them and they are generally healthy i will reply if you need me to :)

aemsva

Cavy Slave
I am HIPPO'ing this thread, just wanted to say that I got my sow from the spca. I do not trust sellers on Kijiji "giving their pets away because of such and such" due to the fact that many people lie about an animals age, whether or not the animal is sick ect. I feel much more comfortable going through an actually adoption agency than through kijiji ect.. That's just MO though.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
I am HIPPO'ing this thread, just wanted to say that I got my sow from the spca. I do not trust sellers on Kijiji "giving their pets away because of such and such" due to the fact that many people lie about an animals age, whether or not the animal is sick ect. I feel much more comfortable going through an actually adoption agency than through kijiji ect.. That's just MO though.

SPCA at least knows an approx age and they have vets who look after health and they PROPERLY SEX THEM!!!

aemsva

Cavy Slave
SPCA at least knows an approx age and they have vets who look after health and they PROPERLY SEX THEM!!!

ITA agree, if I get another piggy, I will be going through the spca or rescue again ^,^

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would to IF the SPCA here treated and cared for them better. As I stated before, the Edmonton SPCA DOES NOT treat for mites unless the mites are slapping them in the face. 2/3 pigs I adopted there had mites and the FREE vet visit was NOT FREE because the only Cavy savvy vets here do NOT work with the SPCA.

I used to work for a small animal rescue here that adopted out pigs, I in fact fostered for them. They have since closed down due to personal health issues and other than Kijiji the only other option is the Edmonton SPCA, which they have in the past adopted out wrong sexed pigs as well as sick pigs. So I ask you this. IF you knew that your SPCA was like this would you still support them?

I don't and because I love supporting SPCA/rescues I now send my donations to a rescue in Ontario (Piggles Guinea Pig Rescue). I hope one day the SPCA here smartens up but after almost 4 years of emails, phone calls and personally pointing out issues to them, they are still making the same mistakes.

I am not saying don't adopt from them, I am say that sometimes things are not always as they seem and to make sure you check out the rescue well before adopting. If they don't treat/care for them as they should rescue an old pig off Kijiji.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave

Sorry but this is not always correct. My Eve was claimed to be 1.5 years old (to help push her adoption). After taking her to my vet to have her treated for mites and ear issues they also said her age was off because she had cataracts. They put her at 4-5 years old. She lived to be 7-8 years old. I contact the SPCA about it Via phone and Email. No one would comment or get back to me on it. Yet they still mail me requests for donations.

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
I found Spike on a kijiji ad.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Really? Congrats. What kind of cavy is he? Do you have any pigtures? Does he have a buddy?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.