Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Lice from the Shelter and Treatment Question

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly certain it's lice. I've been creeping these forums (cause that's what I do best!) and saw that Revolution and Advantage are the best options for treatment.

HOWEVER: As a broke college student I have some obstacles to the expenses of these products. Namely: Being broke and having to deal with parent's financial help.

They are refusing to buy either of the two products, refuse to let me take them to the vet, and want to buy a "Small Animal Flea Repellent Spray" from PetSupermarket. The stuff says it's "safe", but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience (good or bad), with the stuff before I trust the label.

Also, if we were to use it, and then order Revolution (because apparently my father claims that they can't do just regular Advantage, you MUST get A. II), would it be harmful to the piggies if I put that on them, ontop of the spray, say, three days from now?

Any help would be GREAT!!!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's lice, you should be able to see them crawling, or see the nits on the hair.

You DON'T want to use a flea repellent spray, because the pigs will ingest it when they groom themselves.

And if you do use Advantage, you definitely do NOT want Advantage II -- it's not safe for guinea pigs. You want just the plain old Advantage.

You can also treat them with topical ivermectin, if it's truly lice. See www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html.

Here's some good information about treating for lice: https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html.

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the good infromation! Shortly after I posted this, my father decided to try to listen to me (after a good half hour row -.-) and he ended up trying to get the Revolution online. I ended up actually finding a really great exotic vet not too far away that stayed open late, and he confirmed it was lice. He treated them for us.

Here's hoping it works!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
In the future, you can find Revolution online at Pet Shed.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Also, Gorgeous Guineas has a lice shampoo that I've read great things about :)

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Pet Shed was still pretty expensive, and at the vet's we can buy one vial at a time for 12 bucks, instead of 35 for three vials, two of which might not get used. In retrospect, I'm very glad I took them to the vet, I would rather pay a little more for an appointment to make sure their gonna be ok!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.