Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What's On Your Mind? Advice, And Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I have a question:

I am going to plant White Clover. I already have the seeds. I was curious about harvesting: Can I only harvest each clover 1 time and then it is done growing, or will it grow back?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Lil' Babe let me pet her for the first time earlier without needing to coax her with treats or anything! YAY!

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Alright, I could use some advice now! I finished expanding my boys' cage. Yay! It's now a separated 2X5, so they get a 2 and 1/2 grids each. Not ideal, but they aren't big lap runners, and they'll get lots of floor time. But my problem is since I put them in Sundae was determined to get in Snicker's side. He was chewing the bars, pulling the grids with his teeth, and trying to bump the grids out of the way. The barrier isn't too well secured currently, just two cable ties on each side and some velcro right above the coroplast wall. Any suggestions on securing the walls?

EDIT: Oh, and it'd have to be movable because they share a fleece that I'll have to change.

Last edited:

sarahdarby17

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I'll test it out tonight and begin my journal.

How long does it take for hair loss in relation to Mites begin to clear up after 3 treatments with Ivermectin? Like when will I begin to see the V-Shape fill in?

My Pete had mites and after his second dose of ivermectin i saw some clearing, give it another week and maybe give him a bath and see :) Thats what I did and he cleared up great!

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I would need something that would be harder for them to get out of. With walls. I just really don't have any ideas other than a bowl, but how could I keep it still?

If you have a scale that's round on top I suggest a bowl with a "foot" like these ones: Set of 3 Mixing Bowls, Dishwasher Safe - Walmart.com - they have the pedestal type bottom that might help it stay on better.

If you've got a square scale I suggest finding either a bowl with a gripper bottom, or a glass bowl so it's heavier and stable.

The digital scale I bought came with a bowl that fits on top but my piggies have figured out they can climb off of it! (it's a shallow bowl)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've got a piggy that I think lost a tiny patch of hair due to mites, where would I get Ivermectin from? How much would I apply, how often?

sarahdarby17

Cavy Slave
They can get an injection at the vet :)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I've got a piggy that I think lost a tiny patch of hair due to mites, where would I get Ivermectin from? How much would I apply, how often?

You do not need an injection, they are very painful. While it is safest to see a vet, nearly everyone on this website treats on their own.

What you will need is your choice of Ivermectin. I recommend the Ivermectin-Pour On as you can put it right behind the Piggies ears and be done with it. I got my Ivermectin here:

Amazon.com: Ivermectin Pour On, 250ML: Home Improvement_

Then you will need some 1cc syringes. You can find them a lot of places really. I got mine on eBay for $5 for five of them.

Refer to this chart for the proper dosage and dosage instructions:

Guinea Lynx -- Topical Ivermectin Treatment

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I feel I should state here that if you have a serious problem or question and need more responses it would be a good idea to start your own thread. Not everyone reads threads like this, and some things get missed.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I feel I should state here that if you have a serious problem or question and need more responses it would be a good idea to start your own thread. Not everyone reads threads like this, and some things get missed.

I understood that when I created this thread as well. I mentioned in the OP.

Weighed the Piggies. Babe: 830 Sis: 900

delekatala

Cavy Slave
after 3 weeks my girls havent warmed up to me yet. I feel like I am torturing them just to spot clean thier cage:sad:

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
after 3 weeks my girls havent warmed up to me yet. I feel like I am torturing them just to spot clean thier cage:sad:

You say after 3 weeks. But you do realize that this is less than a month? lol

My Piggies haven't completely warmed up to me yet either. They like to be held and they don't mind anything I have to do around them, and it has been 6 months. So you probably have a lot of time.

You just need to start handling them every day and giving them treats when you put them back if you want them to get used to you, otherwise it's a lost cause!

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Something on my mind is whether its normal for Princess to have gained 4oz in 4 days.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Something on my mind is whether its normal for Princess to have gained 4oz in 4 days.

I don't see why that wouldn't be normal if she is pregnant. I think 2oz a week is normal, and I wouldn't worry over 4.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
My Lilly, the abby is bipolar -_-.
She also just tried to lick my dogs nose.
My Emily is licking everything like crazy <3
My Ally is wheeking at the top of her lungs for food. She needs to wait 30 more minutes till feeding time!
Im watching Toy Story :)

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Ok. so should i weigh her once a week or every few days?

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Ok. so should i weigh her once a week or every few days?
I weigh my pigs once a week same time each week. When my piggy was pregnant I weighed once a week

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks for the help. I'll just weigh her once a week so I don't cause her anymore discomfort

I weigh my pigs once a week same time each week. When my piggy
was pregnant I weighed once a week

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
No problem. I only weighed her once a week as I didnt want to hurt the babies and she was uncomfortable

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Mommyof2, if she is a few weeks before delivery, you shouldn't handle her at all really. @mommyof2

Status
Not open for further replies.