Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Had A hammie now looking for cavies

Hi everyone,My name is Bob and have recently started looking into adopting a cavy.

A little History about us 1st.
    On my daughter's 10th birthday she decided she wanted a guinea. I was reluctant because of her age and wasn't sure I wanted another pet (we have 4 cats and a dog) to take care of. So I told her lets get something smaller and see if she could handle the care of it, and we got the hammie, Rhino
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0123.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	28891

. That was almost 2 years ago, and sadly Rino has crossed the rainbow bridge.
    To say we are heartbroken is an understatement, we are devastated. I never thought we would become so attached, but it did teach me something as well. My daughter was more then equipped to take care and love a pet of her own.Well now that I know she can take care of a small pet, I told her she could get a Piggie (well 2 actually).

So I started researching; home's, breeds, care, feeding etc... and will be building a 3x6 (bottom and enlosed) with a 2x2 (enclosed top) with ramp in the next few weeks.

So now that's out of the way I am going to adopt and am looking for someone close to my home (as it's hard to travel right now) that has at least 2 Piggies for adoption.

This won't be for a few weeks, as I have to make sure their home will be ready before they get here, and have to cat test the cage (though my cats never even bothered the hammie even when out of his ball)
    If anyone knows of a local rescue or private person please let me know.

Although we are not picky about breed and color we would like to stay away from the long hairs.

Thanks for the great site, and I hope to get to know the community better
    Bob

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Re: Had A hammie now looking for cavies

You can check out the adoption part of this forum, www.petfinder.com, or the local pet shelters. Or, if you live in Canada, you can check out www.kijiji.ca. That's where I got my girls and my hammie.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,544 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Good for you for doing your research!

Hard to recommend a local rescue because you haven't said where you are. The pets section of Craigslist is another place where it's usually easy to find cavies - just look out for breeders in disguise.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I just want you to know hamsters and guinea pigs are very different animals. Their care is completely different. From my personal experience as a past hamster owner and a present pig owner, guinea pigs are a lot more tedious to care for. If you choose to get guinea pigs for your daughter, be aware that you will most likely be the one taking care of them. (vet and food bills, cage cleaning, weighing/examining your pigs weekly, nail trimming, etc.)

If you don't feel like reading my novel of a post, feel free to go to http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html. I strongly encourage you to read every page!

They have very gentle digestive systems, so you must be careful what you feed them. A great food guide can be found on this website, located here.

Guinea pigs cannot produce vitamin C, so you must supply it for them! Avoid water drops, as they disintegrate quickly and make the water taste icky. Icky tasting water will discourage your guinea pig from drinking enough fluids. Instead, feed your guinea pig vitamin C enriched food (green bell peppers are great. You can also purchase vitamin C enriched pellets).

Your future pigs will also need an unlimited supply of timothy hay. Rather than buying overpriced, low quality hay from a pet store, you should order online. KMS and Oxbow provide high quality hay and pellets. Grass hays are essential for your piggy's health. It aids digestion as well as keeping your pig's teeth from overgrowing.

Depending on the age of the guinea pigs you adopt will determine what sort of hay/pellet you should feed. I have read guinea pigs under 6 months old need alfalfa hay/pellets. Once they are 6 months, you should switch to normal pellets and a grass hay (timothy, orchard, blue grass).

As for hygiene, you should keep the cage as clean as possible. This means you should spot clean daily and clean the entire cage out at least once a week. Guinea pigs are miserable in dirty environments. You'll notice your pigs will popcorn and happily explore the cage each time you clean it out!

You will also need to trim the nails at LEAST once a month, sometimes 2-3 times per month.

Weekly weigh ins are encouraged. You can simply buy a kitchen scale that measures in grams and ounces and goes up to 5 pounds. If you weigh weekly, you will be able to spot any health issues early on. Guinea pigs are great at hiding illnesses and injuries, but if you notice your pig is losing a lot of weight, then chances are you pig is sick and you can hopefully get him/her to the vet on time!

You will also need to feel around your pigs every week. Lift the fur and feel for bumps and scratches. Feel around the joints for inflammation. Check the eyes, nose, and teeth. Lift the ears up and look inside. Check the butt/genital area. Look at the toes and feet.

Alright, I won't write anymore. However, I could go on and on about guinea pig care. I just wanted to give you some pointers before you dived into becoming a cavy slave! I am sure you and your daughter will make great owners! You seem to really care for your animals! I am sorry about the loss of your dear Rino. I know I was also devastated when I lost my hamster, Nibbles.

5. "Thank you, Kieri, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Yep, a hamster and a g pig are like comparing a hedgehog and a chincilla. However, in my opnion, g pigs are more rewarding pets, because they require so much care...

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ellisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    387 Rec'd/297 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I'm very sorry about the loss of Rhino. It's never easy losing a loved pet.

It looks like you already got some good info from some of the members here. Have a look around the site, you will learn so much about guinea pigs.

I have never had a hammie, so I can't really compare them. However, my best friend had hamsters for many years and after she rescued her pig she decided that she loved how much of a bond you can have with them. She said she never really could form a relationship with any of her hamhams. Guineas do require a lot of care, though. Have a look around on this site and on www.guinealynx.info to prepare yourself!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieri View Post
    I just want you to know hamsters and guinea pigs are very different animals. Their care is completely different. From my personal experience as a past hamster owner and a present pig owner, guinea pigs are a lot more tedious to care for. If you choose to get guinea pigs for your daughter, be aware that you will most likely be the one taking care of them. (vet and food bills, cage cleaning, weighing/examining your pigs weekly, nail trimming, etc.)

You will also need to trim the nails at LEAST once a month, sometimes 2-3 times per month.
    I had no idea about the nails!! Is it like trimming cat claws? I do that twice a month with the help of the wife, they hate it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by blackarrow View Post
    Good for you for doing your research!

Hard to recommend a local rescue because you haven't said where you are. The pets section of Craigslist is another place where it's usually easy to find cavies - just look out for breeders in disguise.
    Sorry thought it was there, I am from long island NY. Island Park if anyone of you guys are neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by ellisa View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I'm very sorry about the loss of Rhino. It's never easy losing a loved pet.

It looks like you already got some good info from some of the members here. Have a look around the site, you will learn so much about guinea pigs.

I have never had a hammie, so I can't really compare them. However, my best friend had hamsters for many years and after she rescued her pig she decided that she loved how much of a bond you can have with them. She said she never really could form a relationship with any of her hamhams. Guineas do require a lot of care, though. Have a look around on this site and on www.guinealynx.info to prepare yourself!
    While I am sure we will develop more of a bond with the piggies, believe it or not we had almost the same type of bond with Rhino. If he would hear one of us coming he would almost always wake up (this is unheard of for hammies to be awake during the day unless trained) just to be taken out and played, cuddled with. He was also the most vocal hammie I have ever come across.

TY for all the info, I have alot more research before getting them. Just want to try and see if there are any local rescues or adoptees before I start looking further.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Sounds like Rhinio was a little sweetie. I love the picture of him.

Even if you adopt via Craigslist, it's still considered adopting/rescuing unless you buy from a breeder (they're not even supposed to put ads there, although they often do). You'll get a sense of whether people there are breeders or are legtimately rehoming. By adopting via Craigslist, you keep the piggie from potentially taking up a space in a shelter, being dumped, or becoming snake food.

One of my pigs is from CL, and the other is from a shelter. Have you looked at Petfinder.com? Even if there's nothing there, call your local cat and dog shelters as they might have pigs but not list them. For CL, search the word pig rather than guinea pig as people often misspell it in their listings.

Good luck in your search! It sounds like you're going to give two lucky piggies a great home.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

@rob5482

Yep, you will need to trim the nails! If they aren't trimmed, they begin to curl and can cause a lot of issues.

Here is a great page about clipping:
    http://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html

Y
    ou want to clip the nails at least once per month. They should be straight. If they begin to curl, then you know you need to trim them more often.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to update, looks like We will be adopting 2 girls from a lovely family in NYC. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice!

Just finished making a 2x4 CC cage, have to put the top on and cat test over the weekend. Next step is the cloroplast and fleece. The daughter and I am really excited and have been going nuts all week getting their new home together.

Soon as everything is done I will post some Pics.

12. "Thank you, rob5482, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So Steph dropped off the piggies tonight!!! (ty soooo much for bringing them and all the stuff that went with em, that made things so much easier) Although I haven't finished their CC cage yet, still waiting on the cloroplast, I made a fleece blanket (triple thick) for their new home.

Here are some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	29703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	29704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	29705

They seem to like it, and the daughter is happy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    167 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

That's a very nice-looking improvised setup! And nice-looking pigs

Thanks
    Thanks
    63 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Thanks for the pigtures! The little girls look adorable.
    You might want to put in a potty or two in the cage to see if they will use it. Some piggies use a little box and some don't but it can be worth a try! Just set it under the hay bale and use a non-clay based kitty litter (like recycled paper). If they use it, it makes cleaning much easier.

User Tag List