Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you opinions on dying a guinea pig's fur?

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: What are you opinions on dying a guinea pig's fur?

Quote Originally Posted by Roo99 View Post
    When she says 'fudge dye', I think that she is referring to the drops that you add to melting chocolate to turn it different colors. It is food grade, but smells awful in my opinion.
    It could be. I do know that some people use the Fudge brand of hair dye on dogs, so that's where I got that assumption from.

Either way, dye generally smells horrible even for humans, even food colouring. I can't imagine what it's like to a pig.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    358 Rec'd/237 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)

I just googled "fudge dye" and it is hair dye. ugh.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    433 Rec'd/282 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

Yeah, fudge dye is food dye. It does smell horrible though, and it stains everything horribly. It also tastes really gross. Poor poor poor piggie

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    358 Rec'd/237 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)

The laws are likely written for commercial dyers only, rather than individual pet owners, but in some states it is against the law to dye animals:

Dyeing animals: Florida may lift ban on dyeing of chicks, bunnies, other critters - Sun Sentinel

Note that it goes beyond "just" chicks and bunnies in some states.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

It's too bad we don't know where this girl lives, because we could contact authority.

Hopefully one of her friends reports her for this.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Another thing that came to my mind... When we dye our hair, we wash it daily and it rinses out. When an animal's fur is dyed, they aren't bathed daily. This leads me to believe the animal must groom the chemicals out of its fur day after day?

Really, what will happen to the guinea pig's insides if it's constantly ingesting dye?

And I hope she doesn't decide to dye her pig daily. I can't imagine the amount of stress it would suffer from. I wouldn't be surprised if it died from being bathed so much.

It's such a lose-lose situation. ): There's no positive outcome to either solution regarding removing the dye.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

From what I understand and have seen with my own sick guineas, the flora of their digestive system is really, really sensitive. I wouldn't think ingesting all those chemicals would end well, especially when (as has been noted) guinea pigs have been bred to be hypersensitive.

She obviously just doesn't care about her pig beyond making it 'cute', though, sad as it may be.

He looks like he'd be a gorgeous little guy without all the dye. I don't get why people do this sort of thing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    102 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

I'm not sure if you all looked at the rest of her blog...it looks like she lives in a different country so who even knows the animal welfare rights wherever she is. Also, she's a very young, pot smoking, negative human being who obviously has no regard for the words/attitudes/thoughts she puts out on the web. Unfortunately her little pig will feel the effects of her harmful actions as will the people stumbling onto her blog. It's always upsetting to me when people want to contribute to the negativity that already exists in the world

Perhaps the THC this piggy has in her body is far worse than the dye itself...People all over the world get their animals high...Ugh.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Quoted
    698 Post(s)

This makes me kinda sick. Can someone maybe send her an article about how bad it potentially is for her pig? I'm not sure she's thinking (or maybe she doesn't care) that her pig will be licking its fur when it grooms and thus ingesting the dye.

Sure, it might be safe for humans but we don't lick our hair after it's done.

10. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    433 Rec'd/282 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

She's well aware. A lot of people have sent her messages. She honestly doesn't care. It's sickening to think what will happen to the poor pig. Of course she doesn't take proper care of it either.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I think the fact that the second someone politely asked if the dye could potentially be dangerous, she blew up, says a lot. It seems like she's quite ready for a fight, and she probably did it entirely for that purpose. I'm really sad that a guinea pig had to suffer because of her ego, though.

I was sickened when dying animals was legalized in Florida. I have no idea why the legislature here would think that was useful, or not cruel.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    358 Rec'd/237 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)

I won't go to her blog -- I don't want to drive up her traffic numbers -- so I'll take folks' word on this. Nothing we do, sadly, is going to change the sort of person she is. She either is acting out and needs the guidance of an adult who is physically present, or else she is a sociopath who enjoys tormenting animals and people and will only get worse the more power she gets.

I have to go take a break from this. I don't know about the rest of you, but some days this sort of thing makes me blind with rage from the off-hand cruelty coupled with my helplessness to change it. I'm certain that is the intent of these kinds of humans but I'm going to go look up something I can do for someone else to try to counteract the poison.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I don't know if she'll listen to me if I send her any article links. I sent her a link to this thread and she wasn't interested.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Here is what I said to them:

Anonymous asked - "I was just wondering if the vet that you asked about the food dye is what is known as 'cavy savvy'. If the vet is not experienced in practicing and treating exotics, then he/she might not have completely understood the potentially harmful effects of said dye. I know that a lot of the people here just want what is best for you guinea pig, or the pigs belonging to anyone who sees this and happens to think that dyeing their animal's fur is a good idea."

The reply was:
    'Kids, wondering about how to take care of your guinea pig? Check out this blog. Maybe I should change my URL to guinea-pig-gurl'

I am not even sure what to make of that.

ETA: She still denies that the dye that she used was hair dye; maybe it wasn't the brand of hair dye, Fudge, but the dye used to color chocolate. However, since she doesn't seem to like giving straight answers, I seriously doubt that anything that she says is even somewhat credible.
    Last edited by Roo99; 06-19-12 at 11:03 am.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

@Roo99

I give up on her. She is so disgustingly immature and heartless. That animal is suffering because she wants to be ~trendy~ and dye its fur.

She was sent another ask and she replied, "I can’t wait to dye it another colour when the pink fades, I’ll let you know girlfriend, I’ll give you a text or something hehe."

How can someone be so careless about the health of a defenseless animal?

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roo99 View Post
    Here is what I said to them:

Anonymous asked - "I was just wondering if the vet that you asked about the food dye is what is known as 'cavy savvy'. If the vet is not experienced in practicing and treating exotics, then he/she might not have completely understood the potentially harmful effects of said dye. I know that a lot of the people here just want what is best for you guinea pig, or the pigs belonging to anyone who sees this and happens to think that dyeing their animal's fur is a good idea."

The reply was:
    'Kids, wondering about how to take care of your guinea pig? Check out this blog. Maybe I should change my URL to guinea-pig-gurl'

I am not even sure what to make of that.
    I think she was just trying to be clever and snarky by mocking your implications that she has an effect on how people care for their pigs...

But if so, she kind of shot herself in the foot with that, because it also implies she doesn't know how to take care of her pigs.

Either that or she was trying to be 'cool' by mocking all the advice she's gotten.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

@Liknvi- if she is trying to prove how inadequate she is at caring for her guinea pig, then she is doing a very good job of it.

I'll continue to post only because I don't want people to see her blog and think that dyeing their guinea pig is okay. If I might be able to spare an animal from suffering a slow death from intentional poison by their owner, then I will do what I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    433 Rec'd/282 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

Yeah, my post was the one she replied too. Apparently she's going to let me know next time she dyes it. -.-

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

There actually are colored dyes made especially for pets, as I recently got a press release about one. However, it's meant for dogs and the release said nothing abou guinea pigs. They're so small and sensitive that I can't imagine even a pet dye would be good for them.

Sadly, that girl is an attention 'ho who is thriving on this and will probably do it again just because it gets a rise out of people, or do goodness only knows what else because negative attention is a reward for her. As hard as it is, I would refrain from emailing her or commenting on her blog because it doesn't teach her anything positive. It only fuels her negative actions more. I'd love to pignap that poor piggy. I wouldn't be surprised if he dies soon just because that would bring her a ton more attention.

Thanks
    Thanks
    167 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

Keep in mind I'm just playing devil's advocate here, and certainly not actually trying to defend what this girl did, but I'm not sure about the notion that guinea pigs are bred to be "ultra sensitive". They were domesticated for meat for thousands of years before science had anything to do with them. That said, I'm sure it's still not a good idea to dye your pig. Even if it's not dangerous, it's just not necessary (though I say the same about human hair coloring ). Even though my piggies have lovely coloring to begin with, white ones look quite nice on their own too.

However, regardless of whether or not the dye is bad for the pig, the worst part is this girl's attitude. Immature self-centered whore...I can only hope that she gets what she deserves.
    Last edited by Mastershroom; 06-19-12 at 11:22 am.

User Tag List