Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection UTI- May be urgent

Nevertoolate

Cavy Slave
My jasper has tracked some UTI :(. Reason? I don't know why, but i do clean Once every 6 days . He has another friend living with him in a 2x3 C&C cage. We did move and it might have stressed them out, but i might have bigger problems. Sunday, i took him to the vet... they indeed did confrom the UTI. ~ i havent seen any blood~ He also has been getting cranberry juice. Everything is normal, eating, sleeping, and whatnot but i fear that he isn't getting better. The vet did papulate him to feel for bladder stones... and did not X-RAY. Should i be fearing about bladderr stones or does the PAIN (not infection necesarily) take long to clear up? :( i'm worried... i can make a follow up tomarrow. He squeaks of pains aren't squeals, but i cant gage whether it has gotten worse or not because it varies. He is still cheery. The same jasper... who isn't getting any better :( please help... i have already lost one who lived a whooping 8 years who was so dear to me... i do not want to loose another. My most important question is HOW long does pain take to clear up?

pinky

Cavy Slave
My jasper has tracked some UTI :(. Reason? I don't know why, but i do clean Once every 6 days . He has another friend living with him in a 2x3 C&C cage. We did move and it might have stressed them out, but i might have bigger problems. Sunday, i took him to the vet... they indeed did confrom the UTI. ~ i havent seen any blood~ He also has been getting cranberry juice. Everything is normal, eating, sleeping, and whatnot but i fear that he isn't getting better. The vet did papulate him to feel for bladder stones... and did not X-RAY. Should i be fearing about bladderr stones or does the PAIN (not infection necesarily) take long to clear up? :( i'm worried... i can make a follow up tomarrow. He squeaks of pains aren't squeals, but i cant gage whether it has gotten worse or not because it varies. He is still cheery. The same jasper... who isn't getting any better :( please help... i have already lost one who lived a whooping 8 years who was so dear to me... i do not want to loose another. My most important question is HOW long does pain take to clear up?

Did you go to an exotic vet who specializes in guinea pigs? Cranberry juice will not treat a bladder infection. The acidity might make the environment unfavorable for an infection to develop but it won't cure it. He needs to be on an antibiotic.

Nevertoolate

Cavy Slave
Jasper is on an antibotic. <- -Fail hammer- Hes been on one since sunday

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd want an x-ray for any pig who was squeaking while peeing. Unless they draw the urine from the bladder with a needle, which is hard to do on a guinea pig, they can't be positive that any infection they find isn't from contamination in the urine sample. And it's possible to have both the infection and stones at the same time.

If he's been on an antibiotic since Sunday, I'd think the pain would be much less by now if it's from an UTI. Would the vet do an x-ray to rule out (or in) stones if you asked for it?

Nevertoolate

Cavy Slave
They would, we have a follow up on saturday. Depends if he seems like he is degrading. He seems just being were he was were he started :) but it DOES take 2 weeks or more to cure it. PLus today is his 3rd day of antiboitcs (got my dates mixed up) ^^

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is he hunching over when he pees?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Antibiotics can put them off their feed in a big way. Some antibiotics are worse than others, and some pigs can just be flat out intolerant of them, and be sicker taking them than they are without.

If he's not eating properly, you need to be handfeeding him either Critical Care (which you get from the vet), Critter Be Better (from a pet store), or a pellet mash. Depending on whether he's eating anything else, he needs at least 60 cc. per day.

But if he seems to be going downhill, I wouldn't wait until Saturday to take him back in -- they can crash in a big hurry.

BunanaBuns

Cavy Slave
I'd ask for a pain med. I'm always surprised when vets don't automatically give one. It should be getting better any time now.

Nevertoolate

Cavy Slave
I have... sadly the vet rejected my wishes. Being in my somewhat being teenage years, i don't have that much power :/ But i do have the power of love for my piggies ^^. I realized that i was flipping out a little... But he seems to be where he was before the meds. Today is actually is 3rd day ( Had my days mixed up :/ happens when you try to keep track of everything) of meds. So hey, in a couple more days, i should see results ^^. I have seen him at his feed bowl (which is good) especially during veggie time. But its at a point whether its not big enough to where i can tell if he is going down or not. Luckily, i think we caught it very early so... Its good but it makes my job easier but harder :)

BunanaBuns

Cavy Slave
Some vets are dumb. They don't seem to realize how pain can put the guys off food and the results. If I were you, I'd see if I could go to a different vet next time. Or this time, if it doesn't get better in the next couple of days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.