Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Help! New Cage = New Behaviors?

PigsinWigs

Cavy Slave
I have owned my 2 male guinea pigs since March. After seeing the great C&C cages a few days ago I had to upgrade their cage right away. I ran out and bought all the supplies today and built heir new 2x4 C&C cage:D. Which has considerably more room then their "Deluxe" pet store cage.
pigsinwigs-albums-yay-i-made-their-new-c-c-cage-picture28300-dsc00265-nice-clean-before-piggies-.jpg

Since introducing the pigs to the cage the 2 bonded males have started showing signs of aggression. It is almost like they are re-establishing dominance. Is this normal? Originally Perry was the older larger pig and was dominant. Now Milo won't leave poor Perry alone. He has even nipped him in the groin a couple of times:sad:. I don't see any signs of bleeding but I am not sure how bad things are going to get.

Please any advise would be great. I am beginning to wonder if they just don't like their new home. :sad:

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
Mine had a fair bit of aggression whenever they had floor time and when they were in their small temp cage. Now they are in a much larger cage and after a day or so they barely fight. Rumbleing sure, and that little chin lift, but nothing like before. I'd figure they just need a few days to settle in. Old habits and all that.

Oh and if you havnt already, adding another hidey should help. I have two for my two boys and will add a few more when i add my third to the mix. Try like to be newr eachother but at the same time they need away time.

vania

Cavy Slave
I am not sure if this is normal, I have only females. The best advice I can give is to make sure that they have enough space to be apart. At least 2 hide-outs should be in the cage, 3 would be better. Your cage looks spacious, but it looks a little short on enrichment, like some toys. I am concerned about the lack of hay, but I am assuming that it just hadn't been placed in yet. I want to say that the situation will get better in a few days. Good luck!

PigsinWigs

Cavy Slave
I am not sure if this is normal, I have only females. The best advice I can give is to make sure that they have enough space to be apart. At least 2 hide-outs should be in the cage, 3 would be better. Your cage looks spacious, but it looks a little short on enrichment, like some toys. I am concerned about the lack of hay, but I am assuming that it just hadn't been placed in yet. I want to say that the situation will get better in a few days. Good luck!

I plan on buying them extra pigaloos and toys soon. My closest pig supply store is 45 miles away and yesterday I was more focused on getting everything I need to make their cage I completely forgot.:ashamed:

As for their hay yes their hay ball is hanging on the one square as well as their pigkobob with chewing blocks and mineral lick:). I took the pictures while my son was filling their ball so it hadn't been placed yet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not uncommon for pigs put into a new cage to revisit the dominance hierarchy. Just be sure you've got two of everything in the cage.

Pigloos aren't a very good choice anyway, as most of them only have one entrance, and pigs can get trapped. You can use shoe boxes with the bottoms cut out and holes cut in the ends, or step stools from the dollar store. But they need something to hide under.

You should be able to find another water bottle at a feed store or something like a Walmart or Target.

vania

Cavy Slave
As for their hay yes their hay ball is hanging on the one square as well as their pigkobob with chewing blocks and mineral lick:). I took the pictures while my son was filling their ball so it hadn't been placed yet.
You can make some hide-outs of your own. Look around at pictures of cages and you will come up with some great ideas for piggy hide-outs and shelters. Small boxes are also a good idea.
And they don't need a mineral lick, in fact, you should take it out because there might be too many minerals there that could give the piggies some health issues.

PigsinWigs

Cavy Slave
And they don't need a mineral lick, in fact, you should take it out because there might be too many minerals there that could give the piggies some health issues.

I had no idea they weren't supposed to have a mineral lick! I read somewhere that it was important to have one. Thanks for letting me know. :) The last thing I want to do is have them get sick:sick:. :ashamed:

vania

Cavy Slave
I would be willing to bet you might have read that on a store website or something like that. The big pet stores are not in tune with what Guinea Pig owners really want, and that is safe products for our cavies! Most of the treats they sell are harmful to our pets and a lot of the brands of pellets are not good as well. Avoid products with any seeds or any treats with dairy, like those yogurt drops.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.