Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Question Age and Pregnancy

Hi. I'd like to know at what age a sow could get pregnant. I think it's around 4 months old, am I correct?

And, I don't know about guinea pigs (or other animal pregnancy for that matter) but I definitely know that human teenage pregnancy and old adult human pregnancy is more risky than young to mid adult pregnancy.

So, I'm assuming that there is a age range for a relatively safer pregnancy for both the sow and her babies. Does anyone know what that age range is?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,243 Rec'd/5,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3812 Post(s)

Re: Age and Pregnancy

Sows can get pregnant at about four WEEKS, not months. Boars can impregnate a sow at about 3 1/2 or 4 weeks.

The pelvic ligaments of a sow that's never been bred begin to stiffen at about 8 months, making any later pregnancies even more dangerous than they are ordinarily.

But why are you asking about "safe" ages for pregnancies? I hope you're not planning on breeding. There's a high mortality rate for sows, and a high rate of genetic abnormalities in guinea pigs. Do you know what lethal whites are? Or which pigs are at high risk of osteodystrophy, which is a painful bone and joint condition, for which there is no adequate treatment?

There are also enough guinea pigs in shelters and rescues for everyone in the world who wants a guinea pig to have one without breeding more.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Re: Age and Pregnancy

No, I'm not planning on breeding them. I have two sows, and that's enough for me. I don't have enough room to expand the C&C cage for another guinea pig (not without making hard to walk around the furnitures anyhow), much less actually make a seperate cage for a boar.

Besides, I already pretty much have my hands full with the two of them, my hamster, and school work.

I was just curious about the topic after reading the pregnancy posts. They reminded me about the papers I've read on the dangers of teenage pregnancy back in high school.

User Tag List