Thanks
    Thanks
    243 Rec'd/196 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

Re: Is it ok to hit ur guinea pig?

It's not "Giving up on them" If you can't provide for your "Family" What they need to be happy, healthy, and live a great life, then your "Family" Would be much better off in a home that could, and if they could speak the would thank you for it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by missbunnyminaj View Post
    nope, not giving up on them
    I know it's difficult. But if you don't have your own money, what happens when they get injured or sick - in need of very expensive vet care? If you can't provide your animals with everything they need as a responsible owner, the best thing you can do for these pigs could be to find them a better home.

Is there a way for you to make money for a vet fund & proper cage & care? A birthday coming up where you can ask for gift cards to purchase grids?

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

alright everyone thank you but i cant give them away i cant b sure people will treat them nicely. Does anyone have a big cage theyre not using that they can mail 2 me??

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

@ PigPandemonium dont b rude im trying to b as helpful as possible. im not here just to waste ur time, im her because i CARE

Thanks
    Thanks
    243 Rec'd/196 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

I'm not being rude, however I'm also not the type to try and sugar coat things for you. In the end if you have no way of paying for vet cost, housing, etc for your guinea pigs to give them a great life, and you also can't control your sister from abusing them, they need a better home. Period. If there is anything you can do to keep them though that would be ideal, however from the way it sounds there is nothing, therefore the best case scenario is to get them a great home

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Do u have a big cage ur not using u could spare?? Pretty please, I love my piggies

Thanks
    Thanks
    243 Rec'd/196 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

Hypothetically, what if someone did? That's only one of your problems solved, what about your sister, and you flicking your pig, and paying for expensive vet care, etc? Depending on where you are located, if you decide to give them up I would be happy to rescue and re-home them.

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

no thanks lady

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

Again, if you don't have a way to provide them with a proper environment, care & especially expensive vet care, the best thing to do for the pigs is to look into a better home for them. Failing to provide them with vet care could quickly lead to a slow, painful & unnecessary death, and depending on where you live is illegal. They deserve to get the care they need in a safe home. If you can't find a solution concerning safety & money, love them enough to give them a proper home. Love is not always doing things you want to do, but sacrifice for the better.

You can post your general area, many members are knowledgeable & can point you towards good rescues. Someone might also have spare grids/cubes in your area, but this does not solve the issue with money & future need of vet care.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

i know its a tough decision, your bonded with them, but if they are fighting and dont have the correct space then it will only get worse and worse, she might be being aggressive towards you because she is scared! do you really want to keep the piggy scared and defencive? she might be happier with someone else, and you could ensure to find them a good home you would have to ask lots of questions and make an appropriate choice, isnt the happyness of your piggies what counts?

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

get a job? im 16 and have 2 part time jobs and pay for my pigs by myself, thery have a 40ftsquared cage they had cost me about 50 but i have slowly extended it over about 6 months, if they're fighting and your stuggling to afford them then why not let one go to a friend? you'd still see him/her and you can focus on the one you have?

12. "Thank you, abi.25, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Why post this question in the first place? You obviously are not willing to listen & follow good advice ...and I mean what's good for the guinea pigs. Please rehome them thru a rescue and don't get any more pets.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

The whole joy in having guinea pigs, is making them happy. So I don't think you're reaping the full benefits from having them. I am currently unemployed yet my guinea pigs live in an 18 square foot cage with plenty of toys. (Just check my last thread). If you're that certain you want to keep them. Raise 35.99 by selling something, we all have to make sacrifices for our pets. Then buy something like this;

Wire Cubes in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

20 cubes, you could make the same size cage as mine. Just get some fleece, and buy some cheap shower curtains to lie down underneath the fleece. I know it sounds like effort, but you either make the effort and get to keep your guinea pigs.. or you end up with injured guinea pigs. I temporarily kept my two babies in a 4ft by 2ft and it was way too small even for 2 guinea pigs.. You MUST not carry on like this. If you wont give them up/your mum is being irresponsible. Then you have to sell something of yours that you no longer need to raise the funds. If not your guinea pigs will suffer. I bet you've never seen the joy of guinea pigs pop corning.. If you truly love your pets you will get such an enjoyment from seeing this; therefore invest in this set up so you can make the most of your pets.

Things to save up for;
    2 x shower curtains
    1 Set of wire cubes
    2 x Fleeces

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	27876

Please, if you love them you'll want to see them enjoying something like this.

15. "Thank you, ZeusAndThorsMum, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    497 Rec'd/339 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

All animals that can be trained, should be trained with positive reinforcement. Even more "hearty" animals like dogs and cats should never be hit, swatted, sprayed with water, etc. It just confuses them and makes them scared.

You need to be very firm with your sister and make sure she never hits your pets again, and you should also never "flick" your pig. They are not going to understand what you're trying to do, and will just view you as a predator. Not to mention that hitting a guinea pig with a remote can actually *seriously* injure something so small and fragile. You might not think so at first, but it's true.

Sometimes guinea pigs have tiffs with each other as they sort out dominance issues. It's completely normal. Putting them in a bigger cage can help them get along as well as make them more healthy overall. You can seriously build a cube and coroplast cage for around 30 dollars. On the main page at guineapigcages.com, they give you very clear instructions on hoe to find the materials and how to build them. If your parents are unwilling to part with 30 dollars for *your* pets, then I suggest doing some yard work for the neighbors. If you love your pigs then take responsibility for them.

Keep in mind that people are suggesting you re-home your animals because you sound like an incapable person. Prove us wrong! Guinea pigs are expensive and require a lot of care. In my opinion, they are more difficult to care for than a dog or cat. I highly recommend you reading a few things and doing what is in your pet's best interest. Even if that means taking on a paper route, babysitting, doing neighbors yard work,car washes, or other chores to help pay for them if your parents are not willing.

Here are some pages I recommend reading for the sake of your guinea pig's health and happiness:
    http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
    http://www.guinealynx.info/medical.html
    Guinea Pigs Social Life
    Guinea Pig or Cavy Vets
    Cubes and Coroplast
    hay
    Bedding
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html

Depending on where you live, you can also save loads of money by ordering hay and pellets online from this vendor: KMS Hayloft, Grass Hays & Fortified Feeds From the Valleys of the Pacific Northwest

17. "Thank you, MissJean, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    People you all jumped to "rehome your guinea pigs" really fast....she's obviously serious about wanting to be a good guinea owner. How about some creative solutions???
    Her parent/s don't seem that interested in helping but the fact she's on here asking questions and looking for advice is a good sign!

Maybe "teeming up" with your sister or a friend so you can get the materials you need for a proper size house. Having someone else interested and invested in the guineas can be easier than trying to do it alone.

My biggest concern is that you immediately stop using force on them! Remember they don't learn like a dog or other animals...you need to redirect their interest and use a gentle voice.

I believe you can become the guinea pig mamma you want to be if you make these vital choices and work towards getting the materials you need.

19. "Thank you, Daisha, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

My mom dosent care about my guinea pig and when i asked her to buy one of the cages ont the site she said no. All she cares about is her boyfriend and spendin money on herself
    I am sorry, but if you cannot properly care for your guinea pigs, then you should rehome them to someone who can.

Guinea pigs are expensive and fragile. These animals are not for inexperienced owners. Pet stores like to claim younger people can care for them, but this is far from the truth. Vet bills, food, and housing can add up very quickly. Not only that, but guinea pigs require a lot of hands on care (hygiene, nail clipping, body checks, weekly weigh ins). Do you provide these things? Did you know you were supposed to?

It is hard for younger people to live up to these demanding responsibilities.

My mom got me a guinea pig when I was in middle school. I knew nothing about him. My mom ended up taking care of him. Now that I am older, I know how to take care of them and I treat my guinea pigs like royalty; they live in a large cage, they are allowed to free roam my living room, i buy them high quality hay/veggies, and i have spent hundreds of my own money on vet bills.

If your mother does not care about their housing, then how is she going to react when your guinea pig(s) appears sick and you ask her to pay for vet visits? Do you think she will really help you out? Or will she let your animal(s) suffer?

I understand it may be fun to have pets, but these animals NEED large cages. They NEED proper care. They can NOT be hit. Guinea pigs learn differently from other animals. You may think they learned their lesson when you/your sister hit or flick them, but in reality they are scared and the only reaction they know is to run away.

You claim your guinea pig will not become afraid of you, but you are mistaken. Guinea pigs are prey animals and are easily startled. I treat my guinea pigs very well and they still show a tiny bit of fear. Harming a guinea pig by hitting or flicking them will only cause extreme anxiety and stress and the animal will be overwhelmingly afraid of your hands and fingers.

Please consider rehoming them. I know you may care about them, but put yourself in their skin. They are harmless and defenseless animals. They do not deserve to live a life of being cramped in a cage and being hit by their owners.

I know I may have been harsh, but guinea pigs are living creatures with needs and I am only bringing light the reality of your situation.
    Last edited by Kieri; 06-04-12 at 10:52 am.

21. "Thank you, Kieri, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    497 Rec'd/339 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

My mom dosent care about my guinea pig and when i asked her to buy one of the cages ont the site she said no. All she cares about is her boyfriend and spendin money on herself
    I can honestly relate to you. I was in a car wreck when I was 16 and needed to see a chiropractor, and my mother just said I was overreacting. It didn't stop her from getting botox the next week, though.

Think of guinea pigs as your children. Mine are, in a way, though it might sound cheesy. You wouldn't want to treat your children how your mother has treated you, right? You can be better than your mother! Be the tender, selfless, generous person to your " children" that your mother isn't. This isn't easy, as you have to take the initiative and some work yourself. Doing work for other people (babysitting, yardwork,etc) for other people sucks. You'll feel like a better person in the end knowing you are doing something so selfless and loving for your animals, though! It's the most rewarding thing ever to see happy piggies in their roomy cage!

23. "Thank you, MissJean, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I agree with most of the other posters.

I was in your position not too long ago. I was stuck with parents who thought a petstore cage was good enough for a 'couple of hamsters' (as they so artfully put it).

As I see it, and how I dealt with it, you have two options. You can accept that caring for them properly isn't possible right now (your parents definitely aren't your fault. A lot of parents can be quite stubborn) and rehome them to someone who has the means to care for them properly, or you can make your own way. I saved up all my gift money and got a job. If you're living with your parents, a minimum wage job would be plenty to at least buy a cage and put some money into a savings account for a vet fund.

It's not the easiest, but that's pigs.

It's in your hands. Don't keep them like they are now, though. You need to do something to help them. Rehoming is almost impossibly hard, but sometimes it's the best option. If you do references and such, or give the pigs to a shelter, you can rest assured they'll be in good hands.

25. "Thank you, Liknvi, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

If your thread is actually a sincere call for help or suggestions, you'll find a way to expand their living space and do what it takes to give them the proper accommodations and food. You can get grids cheaply at garage sales, Freecycle, craigslist or your local Goodwill store. Instead of buying coroplast, you can contact your local political headquarters and ask for old campaign signs that they are getting rid of. If you don't get an allowance or have money, how did you get the guinea pigs and their cage in the first place and how do you get the money to feed them? As with any pet, it takes money to provide what they need.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

If you need a few links, it should be easy to find some cheap coroplast and cubes.

Floor Standing 6-Cube Storage Unit- Stor-Tools-Garage Organization & Shelving-Storage Hooks & Accessories

SABIC Polymershapes, Branch Locator

I found both of these links on this forum. It's quite cheap and will get you a great cage for your little ones.

28. "Thank you, Liknvi, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List