Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Can I feed my guinea pigs bamboo leaves?

PigMum

Cavy Slave
We have a huge patch of bamboo in our back yard. Last night while I was sleeping my husband pulled off some leaves and gave them to the piggies. He said they absolutely loved them, and they seem perfectly fine today. Are bamboo leaves safe for them to eat? What about the stalks?

It would be really cool to find out I have a giant patch of piggie snacks in my back yard. Haha

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have no idea. There's nothing that I can find online from any reputable source that says that they can or can't be eaten. Bamboo isn't poisonous to everything, since pandas eat the shoots, but whether the leaves are edible or not, I don't know.

I will say that giving guinea pigs leaves of things you find in the yard probably isn't a very safe practice in general.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Yikes.... most species of bamboo are very invasive. I think I'd try and dig it out if/while you can.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
My personal rule is to never feed anything that isn't on an approved "safe list."
Sure, there might be other safe foods out there, but I don't want to be the person to find out the hard way that something isn't safe. Even if my backyard was full of something that may or may not be safe. With such a long list of safe foods, it's just not worth the risk.

Edited to hopefully have it make more sense.

PigMum

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies everyone. We are growing our own vegetables, so I can just grow them something I know is safe to eat. I agree that it is probably best to avoid it unless I can find reputable information saying it's safe. I was just wondering since they apparently loved it so much! I'll tell the hubby to stop sneaking them midnight snacks mom doesn't know about. :p

As far as it being invasive, I did not know that, thanks for the warning! However, I actually like the bamboo and the shoots are great for stripping and using as plant support in my garden. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies everyone. We are growing our own vegetables, so I can just grow them something I know is safe to eat. I agree that it is probably best to avoid it unless I can find reputable information saying it's safe. I was just wondering since they apparently loved it so much! I'll tell the hubby to stop sneaking them midnight snacks mom doesn't know about. :p

As far as it being invasive, I did not know that, thanks for the warning! However, I actually like the bamboo and the shoots are great for stripping and using as plant support in my garden. :)

Read up on it and try and identify which species it is. Some types will form root systems that will even kill trees. I have some invasive things in my yard and I wish I could get rid of them: Gooseneck Loosestrife, Goutweed, Virginia Creeper, English Ivy, Japanese Fleeceflower and Vinca Vine. Those invasive plants can be a nightmare to control.

PigMum

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I will definitely do that. My husband wants to plant some fruit trees, so if it's a tree-killing bamboo it has to go!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.