Thanks
    Thanks
    173 Rec'd/158 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Moving with piggies...

My husband is in the military, he found out we're moving from Washington to Illinois in January 2013. This trip will be about 2,000 miles and according to mapquest.com it's going to take 29 hours. My husband and I will be traveling with the two piggies and our 4 year old daughter. I know this is going to be a LONG trip, and it's a ways in the future but I want to plan as much as possible ahead of time so I can be prepared.

So I have some questions for y'all:

Will this glorified litter box be big enough for my two piggies while they're in the car? I plan on packing grids, zip ties, fleece and a shower curtain to make a play pen/cage for their night times so they can stretch their little legs when we're in hotels and not in the car. Probably 2x4 or 2x5 size.

What liner should I use in the glorified litter box?

Do we need to stop and let the piggies run around outside when we're at rest stops?

How many hours/day in a car is safe without stressing the piggies?

Would it be better to drive 3 long days or 5-6 shorter days?

For those of you who have made a LONG trip with piggies or those of you helping Grace on the piggy train - any tips you have for me?

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Re: Moving with piggies...

I brought down for PA to TX (1300 miles) my dog, two cats,one piggie and three Miniature horses. We stopped for peepee breaks for me and the dog and one overnight stop in MO where I slept in the truck. I never took any of the kitties, ponies or piggie out for safety reasons, as I was travelling alone. Took me 30 hours total driving and resting time. No one was worse for wear, all came through with flying colors!

Kitties were in a carrier, piggie was in a small store-bought cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I don't have any experience with long trips for piggies, but I don't think that letting them out during rest stops is the best idea unless they are being held for lap time or something of the sort. The idea of the grids is awesome for when you are in hotel rooms, so they can have their exercise time! So with that, I do think that 3 long days will be alright, especially since I can imagine a piggy could get stressed out being in such a small cage for 5-6 days. But again, I don't have any experience with long trips, so I'm going just with what sounds right in my opinion. n.n

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,359 Rec'd/4,993 Posts
    Mentioned
    1875 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3115 Post(s)

The glorified litter box will work, but you can get folding dog crates that are larger and will work just as well for way less money. I use a dog kennel when traveling with mine.

They won't need to run around during rest stops, but you will need to offer them wet veggies and a water bottle when you stop. If you hang a water bottle in the cage, they'll just drown.

I'd think fewer days would be better than more, but I'd plan more around the tolerances of the 4-year-old rather than of the pigs. After all, she can complain more loudly, and probably will!

I'd use disposable puppy pads or aspen/pine shavings. You can put the cage on a cheap plastic tablecloth to catch the litter that will invariably escape.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

I'm not going to say where I went, but I was on a 16 hour car ride to bring my boys home. They were in a pet store cage similar to the one you're getting in the car, and a large cat carrier over night. All I can say is to watch carefully! Snickers wouldn't drink, so I had to hand feed him watermelon and celery until I got home. I love the idea of grids overnight. I hope they use it though, they might be too stressed by the trip to exercise. Running around at rest stops probably isn't the best plan, the area isn't controlled enough.

7. "Thank you, BlueButterfly, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    173 Rec'd/158 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    The glorified litter box will work, but you can get folding dog crates that are larger and will work just as well for way less money. I use a dog kennel when traveling with mine.

They won't need to run around during rest stops, but you will need to offer them wet veggies and a water bottle when you stop. If you hang a water bottle in the cage, they'll just drown.
    The reason I asked about the glorified litter box is because I have one. My friend who I got my piggies from in the first place gave it to me in exchange for grids so she could make her own C&C cage for her two pigs. If I didn't already have this cage I'd probably go shopping for a dog crate but this cage should fit perfectly in our car along with all of our luggage, our child, etc.

I'm going to have a cooler in the car for human drinks and gp veggies, as well as water bottles for both.

I have an Edstrom Water Buddy for their water. Would it be ok to use in their cage during the trip or should I just give it to them when we stop?

Thanks everyone for the help!! I appreciate it!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

You sound like you have a solid plan in place. I never moved that far with GPs, but I brought three cats, a bird, and two fish from IL to FL and then later had my horse shipped down. We used a huge dog crate for the cats and had the bird in his own cage and the fish in plastic bags of water and drove straight through. I like your plans for stopping and the grids and veggie cooler.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

That superpet is the same size as the one Whistles was in.
    It was BARELY big enough for Whistles. So I dont think it will be big enough for 2

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    173 Rec'd/158 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhistles View Post
    That superpet is the same size as the one Whistles was in.
    It was BARELY big enough for Whistles. So I dont think it will be big enough for 2
    At one point it had a full size GP and 3 babies in it, I hopeful for 3 days it will suffice for a car ride...

Should I cover the top of the cage with a towel while we're in the car so they won't be in the sun? I'm not sure how sunny it'll be in January but I was wondering about it....

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by schavarry View Post
    At one point it had a full size GP and 3 babies in it, I hopeful for 3 days it will suffice for a car ride...

Should I cover the top of the cage with a towel while we're in the car so they won't be in the sun? I'm not sure how sunny it'll be in January but I was wondering about it....
    I've always covered caged animals during transport.
    I think it makes them feel more secure.

13. "Thank you, MrWhistles, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List