Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Squeekie's med thread

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I've noticed that Squeekie is wiping his nose a lot more than he did before. The crackling breathing is still happening but less often than it did before. I noticed dried crust on his paw and was able to get it off. There is also lots of crust around his nose. Should I leave the crust or try and get it off?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I usually wipe it off with a damp cloth.

Is he still on antibiotics? How long has he been on them? There should be no more discharge or crackling breathing after a few days of being treated with antibiotics--if there is, then he either needs a different antibiotic or needs another one in addition to what he's getting. I would take him back to the vet.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Squeekie's BFF Mr. Pacman keeps sniffing his urine. Does Squeekie's urine tell Mr. Pacman that Squeekie is sick? Has anyone else experienced this???

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Guinea pigs often smell each other's urine.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Interesting!!! I don't think I've ever noticed Squeekie smelling Mr. Pacman's urine and I definitely have notived that since Squeekie has been sick, Mr. Pacman has been doing a lot more sniffing. I guess it is just a coincidence or I'm just on "high-alert" and becoming more observant, which is a good thing.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
UPDATE 4 ALL ...
Squeekie is officially off Meticam - woohoo. His crackly breathing has stopped which I think and hope means his lungs are clear, but I did notice his nose still seems congested. Once in a while I actually hear him sniff but he rarely sneezes. Squeekie is still on Baytril for another 11 days, so hopefully in time the URI will completely go away and not come back. I've also noticed his poo is slightly bigger. I am keeping a close eye on Squeekie's cagemate Mr. Pacman who isn't eating enough. Mr. Pacman eats lots of parsley and cucumber, but is eating much less pellets. There has been no significant change with Mr. Pacman for the last ten days but I have decided if he doesn't start eating more pellets soon, I will take him to the vet. He may have a URI too ... hopefully not. I'm wondering if him eating less is just because Squeekie has been sick, or maybe his teeth are overgrown ... only a vet can answer these questions. But for now, I'm waiting and watching because hopefully it is just because Mr. Pacman is in a seperate cage from Squeekie. it is hard for piggies to be away from each other, isn't it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.