Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Special Needs Guinea Pig Needs A Second Chance, Manhattan, Kansas

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
We are interested in adopting her, but just looked this morning at Guinea Pig Zone and see you may have a potential person in NJ if she can get help with transport.

We're in DC but will drive to KS to get her in a good home, whether ours or another good home. (Yes, know it's a 20 hour drive each way). If we can get assistance with KS to MO, and possible MO to IL border, we can easily go from there. But driving to KS is not a deal-breaker.

We're just appalled at what the family did and will do what we can to get her to a good home, whether it is ours or someone else with experience.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@Wildcavy Will that person see your post?

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I posted on the Guinea Pig Zone page as well, so she should see it there. Mentioned that I was posting here, too. Not sure who checks which so I wanted to cover bases! Thank you for mentioning it though.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
LOL @myself! I was hoping you wouldn't see that when I noticed you posted over there too. I deleted my post before I realized you'd already answered it! *blush*

Thanks again, WildCavy, for going above and beyond the line of duty! I hope I can one day serve rescues as loyally and as completely as you do. You should be very proud of all your efforts.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Piggie train! I can help drive across PA to final destination in NJ. Let me know! Although, I have to warn you, if she has wacky hair, we might stop (and stay) at my place on the way, LOL

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
:D [MENTION=21341]Petlovr[/MENTION]

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
so, @wildcavvy - i'm interested in making sure this pig gets a great home, as you are. i don't HAVE to adopt her - so if you are really into her, please feel free to take her yourself. if you don't feel that strongly about getting her, as i said, i'm happy to take care of her in my home, but would indeed need help with transport. i hope that sounded ok - i really mean this to be a friendly conversation - not snarky, not argumentative. sounds like we'd both be willing to adopt her - nice for her. i'm sure we'll work it out. just let me know how strongly you feel about her. thansk!!

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
you guys are seriously amazing. Personally, I'd love to take her in too! haha

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
We're crossing our fingers to hear from the rescuer!:)

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
You know, instead of deciding it between the lot of you, I would let the rescuer decide the best position to put this piggy in. I'm sure she'd be elated to find not one, not two, but THREE possible homes for her. In the application process, if she has one, I'm sure she would be able to discover which home would be best for her piggy.

[MENTION=20347]jacqueline[/MENTION] Your application already sounds really good! You have disabled and senior pigs, so they'd be low key AND you have the experience necessary to take care of this little girl. Of course, if I were her, I would ask for the details from the rest of you, but I'm not so I'm not. :) I would say you have a good bid for her though, jacqueline!

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it's always so heart-warming to see how dedicated people really are here and around the country.

Caring for Alenko the last few weeks of his life, it really made me understand how precious sick and special needs pigs are and that they need love just as much as every other guinea pig!
She'd be a great addition with Cara and Rictor. I just wish her luck with whoever she ends up living with!!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
you guys are seriously amazing

Yes, they are amazing. Although, had I known about the wacky hair...LOL. Seriously, this poor girl got such a raw deal. I feel really bad for her.

Els9547

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
I apologize for taking so long in my responses. I had a final this morning, then got caught up in surgery and when I got home I wanted to make sure all of the pigs got some outside time in before it got dark. The life of a veterinary student!! I also wanted to make sure I got a few pictures snapped so I could show everyone what Grace looks like (she is actually sitting in my lap as I type this).
Of course, I am thrilled to find such an overwhelming response to Grace's story! After it didn't work out with my two young girls; I was so afraid that I hadn't done the right thing by bringing her home. She really is such a sweet girl, but I think she is a little lonely by herself. Every day she gets more and more trusting with people, but I think it's really going to take someone with experience to bring her back full circle.
I actually don't have an application process. Again, I really haven't ever had to rehome a pig in this manner before. I am just a veterinary student who has had guinea pigs since I was little and was touched by this particular story and wanted to do anything I could. I would be happy to hear any advice anyone has for me; honestly everyone sounds like they could provide a wonderful home for her.
As far as transport, depending on when, I could potentially drive all the way to Kansas City, and I can absolutely drive at least half of that distance no matter what. Again, I apologize for my inexperience as far as rescuing/rehoming; I've never had to rehome any of my pets so it's a little new to me. I hope to just continue the conversations with everyone and hopefully we can all work together and get Grace the new life she deserves. I have attached two photos of her for everyone to see. I took them today after I brought her inside.
She certainly has some funny quirks. I have half of my C&C cage blocked off for her; but it's clear she hasn't ever really experienced fleece or Carefresh. I had to add a little wired "section" and put some hay and shavings (safe ones of course) in a corner for her. She uses that as her "home base"; and every now and then I catch her testing out the fleece and she races back to her little spot. Finally this morning I found her curled up in one of the fleece lined houses; so I think she will adapt just fine to the good life. It's funny to see her experience all of these new things for the first time. I gave her a carrot and she started waving it in the air and carrying it around with her. Took her about three hours to figure out that it was more fun to eat than to play with!!

Attachments

Grace1.jpg Grace2.jpg

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
She is beautiful! And her eye isn't disturbing looking -- I figured it must have been really disfiguring to get a reaction to the point that the parents wouldn't try to help their child work through it. But given your observations about the bedding, fleece, and carrot maybe it was best in the long run that she is out of that situation.

I love the carrot story. Can totally picture her carrying it around like a prize.

Els9547

Cavy Slave
Personally, I think the parents saw their opportunity to "be done with pets for awhile" and jumped on it. Her eye really isn't offensive to me, but given my profession I figured I was just used to more than most people.

I just gave her a piece of green pepper and she is absolutely popcorning out of her mind and practically squealing. Her new family is absolutely going to love spoiling her. You can just tell she is going to be the type that appreciates it forever. I do think she is going to need some friends to teach her "proper" guinea pig noises. For example, she is rumblestrutting the green pepper...not sure if she's just letting it know who's boss or if she really doesn't know which noise to make for which reaction :).

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I just gave her a piece of green pepper and she is absolutely popcorning out of her mind and practically squealing. Her new family is absolutely going to love spoiling her. You can just tell she is going to be the type that appreciates it forever. I do think she is going to need some friends to teach her "proper" guinea pig noises. For example, she is rumblestrutting the green pepper...not sure if she's just letting it know who's boss or if she really doesn't know which noise to make for which reaction :).

I love that! My baby piggy attacked a piece of cucumber and was rumblestrutting. She lives with 2 other adult female piggies. So im not sure where she got that idea from, but it was cute!

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
I have half of my C&C cage blocked off for her; but it's clear she hasn't ever really experienced fleece or Carefresh. I had to add a little wired "section" and put some hay and shavings (safe ones of course) in a corner for her. She uses that as her "home base"; and every now and then I catch her testing out the fleece and she races back to her little spot. Finally this morning I found her curled up in one of the fleece lined houses; so I think she will adapt just fine to the good life. It's funny to see her experience all of these new things for the first time. I gave her a carrot and she started waving it in the air and carrying it around with her. Took her about three hours to figure out that it was more fun to eat than to play with!!

ROFL! Wow! That little girl sure does sound full of humor. It's hard to listen and not feel drawn to her. No, I'm not an applicant. We have to make sure we're financially sound before getting piggies, but it's stories like these that keep me dreaming about being able to rescue my own piggies. Hopefully within the next few months! :)

I'm a cavy newby. I mean, besides the fact that's what my profile says! I haven't had piggies before (some limited experience wth a rescue and studying like mad here though), but I had to take a double take to figure out just which eye was blind! I don't see disfigurement either. Some people can be so... :mad: Well, at least she'll go to a good home now! :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I don't find the eye disturbing either. Very bad lesson to teach the kid, but good thing she's away from them now and being spoiled like a piggy deserves to be. It made me so sad to read that she didn't even know what to do with a carrot. My two turn into vacuum cleaners when I serve up carrot bits. They don't last three seconds, let alone three hours! And to never have even known soft bedding...that poor baby. You did a wonderful deed taking her in, and it looks like she's got great prospects for a new home so she'd going to have a happily ever after with lots of carrots, green peppers, and other goodies for the rest of her life.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
:D [MENTION=22259]mufasa[/MENTION] Vacuum cleaners! Cute story.

It is sad, but her new home will be piggy heaven with a Cavy Cager as her parent! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.