Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior our new babies purr

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
Just got 2 piggies yesterday and they make a purring sound when you pet them what does that mean? They seem to sit still and just kinda sit there but they make this adorable purring sound kinda sounds like a frog! I can already tell their different personalities! One is a lil more skittish than the other but they are both far far FAR calmer than the petstore piggies i saw (got these babies from a lady who had 4-h pigges) Also they both look to have the same equiptment down below but im having a real hard time telling if we have 2 brothers or 2 sisters at this point they are about a month and a week old. Where as the piggies i looked at the pet store were young maybe a couple months but were distingishly males.

TNpiggyGrandma

Cavy Slave
It means they like it! I love it when they purr. Its too cute. Generally though it means they are happy. Sometimes they do it when they are showing dominance but I doubt that is the case right now. Typically mine do it when they are happy. You can tell if they are male or female by the Y shape or I shape. Y means female, I means male. There are threads here on sexing your babies. Its not hard once you get the hang of it! Sometimes it helps to pull up the pics and have your pigs right there to sex them. Some people 'pop' them to see if they are male but I have never done that so I can't tell you how to do that. What did the 4-H people tell you they were, or did they not know?

Last edited:

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
The lady said she thought they were girls and the petstore piggied if u pressed there a lil it kinda popped out these ones dont so much do that they look like girlies to me, im just worried about ending up with a boy and a girl! LOL no baby piggies for me! Our little brown and white girl seems to like having her head petted as well she pushes her head against your finger like a cat would and closes her eyes and weve already let them run around on our bed as we waiting on our C&C parts to come in so they are in their tempary home which is like what the previous owners had them in.

TNpiggyGrandma

Cavy Slave
Thats great that she already likes to be petted! I wish both of mine were like that. I have one that is soooo skittish! I have another that is just now trusting 'the big scary hand' and is letting me come to him and pet him without him running for his life. I think its great that they love it so much. How old are these girls?

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
Callie is 6 LOVES All animals that one was heartbroken when i wouldnt let her keep a wild baby bunny Lila is 3shes curious shes gotta be watched as shes not really ever had a small animal and is a lil rough. the lady we got the pigs from said they were handled daily, in fact the piggies are both sitting on me now munching at some celery sqeeking away LOL

TNpiggyGrandma

Cavy Slave
That sounds awesome. You are lucky to have found them! My kids are the same way. They are all huge animal lovers. My kids are always bringing stuff home (well not home but from the back yard, lol). They don't understand we can't keep wild animals. They also beg me everytime we go to the petstore. I typically do not buy anything from the pet stores simply because that encourages breeding by all these mills. But I have been known on occasion to pick up a sick animal on their death beds from a pet store because they weren't willing to treat it. I used to work for an exotic vet and I brought in all sorts of animals while I was working there. I haven't done that in a few years though because I try not to look at the animals at all while I am there. My husband didn't understand why we had to drive 2 hrs to pick up hamsters, lol. It was all because I didn't want to go to the petstore. I am so glad you got those girls from where you did. Its great that they were handled daily too, it makes you job that much easier!

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
LOL i completely understand! I rarely go to the petstore myself. I want to take all the animals home, we drove 3 and a half hrs total to get our pigs, didnt have to talk the hubby into that too much being as the petstores want $35 each and they can't tell you anything about where the piggies came from. I always try to adopt rather than buy pets when i get them. These little guys are great im already :love:in love!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Aww, isn't it fun to discover their personalities? My little Mufasa used to purr for my husband, and he did the cutest growl when something startled him. Out of my current piggies, Amy is the more vocal one who purrs and shares her opinions with countless other vocalizations, while Borat is the laid-back, strong and silent type. Sounds like you're already learning what your herd enjoys. Piggies are such awesome pets.

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
Im having so much fun looking at everyones cages I'm am itching to get the stuff for mine, im not thst great at making stuff and i have to have a totally enclosed cage do to indoor/outdoor kitties a dog whos super curious about them & small kids. I can't wait to see if they "popcorn"! These lil guys are still getting used to us, its so cool to see how different they are from one another (i kinda wanna hold them all the time)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It means they like it!

I disagree. They are most likely nervous about being held or petted.

TNpiggyGrandma

Cavy Slave
Sorry, but mine purr when they are being petted. They love it. They often popcorn around the same time.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I've always heard that the purr can mean many different things, depending on the context. Mufasa's pleasure purr and growl were similar, but when being petted the purr was accompanied by other happy noises and the growl was when he was startled. It took me a while to figure out Amy's purrs, as she does it both when annoyed and happy. I've learned to tell which it is by her other body language.

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
LOL i guess ill have to get to know them better Shine gets on my neck under my hsir & sleeps and when i pet her she does her "purring" i guess it could mean either!

pinky

Cavy Slave
When they purr when you pet them, they're telling you they're agitated; especially if you pet them near their behinds. I think they consider the petting the same thing as when another guinea pig mounts them. They view it as they're being dominated and they don't care for it. When they're content, you'll hear more of a cooing sound. Try petting them gently behind the ear or on the bridge of the nose. You might get a different reaction from them if they like it.

Jumpy_Bean11

Cavy Slave
Peanut (My Guinea Pig) Does that 2. Do U pet them near their Butt or lower back? Peanut does tat when ever I do that. He also does it when I leave my fan on! Try petting then gently. Try scratcing under thier chin, Peanut ADORES it!!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Sorry, but mine purr when they are being petted. They love it. They often popcorn around the same time.

Yeah, the purr when being petted is the "I don't like this" sound. The "popcorning" you are seeing is them trying to get you to stop. They are trying to buck your hands away.

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
i havent seen them popcorn they sit real still when i pet them

pinky

Cavy Slave
i havent seen them popcorn they sit real still when i pet them

CavyMama was responding to TNpiggyMama who said hers popcorn around when she pets them. Her guinea pigs were probably really agitated.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Yep, that's when Amy does the aggravated purr. She's not a big one for being petted all the way down her body. She's definitely more about the ear scritches, which make her do the coo if she's in a good mood.

When they purr when you pet them, they're telling you they're agitated; especially if you pet them near their behinds. I think they consider the petting the same thing as when another guinea pig mounts them. They view it as they're being dominated and they don't care for it. When they're content, you'll hear more of a cooing sound. Try petting them gently behind the ear or on the bridge of the nose. You might get a different reaction from them if they like it.

TNpiggyGrandma

Cavy Slave

That is where I am petting them, on the bridge of the nose. I don't pet them on their behinds because they do not like that at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.