Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pet store pregnancy

Hi all,

I am very new to guinea pigs and have only had my two piggies since February 25th and 28th. I had no idea how awful the pet store treatment was so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Since then I have been researching non-stop to make sure I give my piggies the best possible home and care. So with all that said, it has been 71 days since I purchased D'Artagnon and I am very certain that she is pregnant.

About a month ago I noticed movement in her belly and she eats constantly and drinks tons of water. I am concerned however that she isn't as big as she should be. At 71 days I am guessing that she is very close to delivery but she still popcorns and runs around with her cage mate Cocoa. (I have quadruple checked cocoa's sex and even had an exotic vet check her and confirm she is female). D'Artagnon seems very healthy, but just very small for being AT LEAST 71 days... I have read that she should be almost immobile at this stage =/ I have felt her pelvic bones and yesterday they seemed very wide, two finger widths at least, but today not so much... perhaps she was at a bad angle for me to check her?

Also, my poor D'Artagnon developed an abscess on her neck after only having her for a week and she was on two different types of antibiotics (Ciprofloxine, flagyl) I'm worried that I may have damaged the babies without even knowing they existed

Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated! I have been on high alert for pregnancy for weeks -_- as I have no idea when she became pregnant and as I said I'm very new and doing my best! But I'm scared to leave her side as she was said to be only 2-3 months old and this is her first litter as far as I know so I'm not sure if she will have complications... thanks in advance for any advice

Thanks
    Thanks
    180 Rec'd/148 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Re: Pet store pregnancy

Hi, I can not offer much advice on piggy pregnancy. The advice I will offer is to make sure the one you do not think is pregnant is indeed a female. Pet stores often miss-sex guinea pigs so you will want to check yourself Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig . There are lots of people on this site that have been in your situation, someone will answer who has been there or at least someone with more experience with piggys then I have.

I do have one question, do you have an exotic vet or any vet at all (preferably one with experience with guinea pigs)?

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

OP said they had an exotic vet check to make sure it's a female :X

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I have already had my other female checked several times just to be sure, and even again a few hours ago just because I'm so paranoid -_- thanks for the input though

Thanks
    Thanks
    180 Rec'd/148 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaMarie View Post
    OP said they had an exotic vet check to make sure it's a female :X
    Oops totally misread that, I thought the op had the one who's pregnant checked...

Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

First off, welcome!
    Second off, how are you absolutely positive she's pregnant? At 71 days, she should be very close to popping. Did you have your vet check her, to make sure she's pregnant? I got my first guinea pig at a pet store before I knew better and she was pregnant too. There isn't as high a risk of complications for younger pigs then older pigs, but there is a higher chance the maternal instincts won't kick in and she'll ignore the babies. You just have to check to make sure momma is letting the babies nurse. Good luck! They're a big hassle, but baby guinea pigs are absolutely adorable.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the welcome =]
    I'm very certain she's pregnant since I can feel and see the babies rolling about in the momma. She has all the signs of pregnancy but she is just very small, could it be that maybe she only has one pup? If she doesn't give birth within the next couple of days I do have an exotic vet a couple miles from my house and will be making a call. I feel so much anticipation I just can't even stand it =P

Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

It's possible she only had one pup, which is why she's so small. I read that the more babies she has, the shorter the pregnancy is. So it makes sense it was on the long side if she only has one. I'd say if she's pregnant for more then 75 days you might wanna get her to the vet. The anticipation does eat you up doesn't it? Don't forget to show us baby pictures!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I definitely have my vet on standby just in case her pregnancy goes too long, but as my finace keeps saying, what are the odds we bought her the day she became pregnant!? At least her and her pups will have a loving home! I will post some pictures as soon as D'artagnon gives birth I hope her pups enjoy the wild ride because she just loves to popcorn

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/54 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

@Mella...you're right, what are the odds that she got pregnant the day you bought her? But that means she got pregnant before that and if you have had her for 71 days, then she is more than 71 days pregnant. So shouldn't she be on the verge of delivering?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I agree, and that is exactly why I created an account and decided to post today is now 72 days since I brought her home and still no babies =/ although I do feel them! I have my fingers crossed that today will be the day but i have no way of knowing for sure Like I said in my original post, she doesn't look like shes going to pop but im hoping this is because she only has one or two pups.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

welcome to the fourm i hope she has her pups soon. i iwanna see pigtures

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to update on D'artagnon's progress. She still hasn't had her babies and today is the 77 day mark since I brought her home. I checked cocoa AGAIN and still she is a female. D'artagnon is still very perky and eats and drinks a ton. The babies look as though they are having a party in her belly but she isn't budging. I am calling the vet on monday to get her opinion and most likely I will have an appointment the same day. Fingers crossed she gives birth before it comes to that.

Removed
    Thanks
    Thanks
    127 Rec'd/101 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    139 Post(s)
    Any news..?

User Tag List