Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Taped a carpet to a wooden base, attached casters and put the cage on top of it. The cage is attached to the base with four screws, one through the middle of each corner connector.

https://postimg.cc/qgC3f8YR

warnisha

Cavy Slave
Decided to make my own cage.
Old changing table turned into a 3 level Guinea condo. Girls love it. They were doing zoomies up and down and all around the levels. I change it up each time I clean. Change the hide outside and toys so they have something new all the time. Lots of chattering and happy noises from them for sure!!! My husband thinks I'm nuts but oh well. They also have a large playpen to play in as well

20191018_221223_001.jpg20191018_221223_001.jpg20191018_221139.jpg

Attachments

20191018_221223_002.jpg

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Thought I'd show off photos of the PigPen, mark 3! It's all ready for piggies! Just got a little more saving up to do; I'm hoping by the end of the holidays I'll be ready! :D

So at first I was going to just do a classic C&C style with grid connectors and zipties sitting on top of a sheet of plywood set up on 2 IKEA lack tables. But then my Dad had the brilliant idea to use these little corner braces around the outer edge of the plywood base to hold the grids along the outer edge of the plywood without having to take up extra space for grid connectors, or have the grids in danger of falling off.

angle brackett.jpg
angle bracketts on plywood.jpg

So they're screwed underneath the plywood all along all four edges...

bracketts along plywood edge.jpg

And hold the grid flush with the edge.

grid on plywood corner.jpg
Grids set on plywood.jpg

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
And the whole thing is set up on top of 2 IKEA lack tables and, at my Mom's back-saving suggestion, pulled out a foot or so from the wall so I can get behind it for easier cleaning access:

IKEA tables.jpg

Then, to cut the coroplast, I had to first mark out the edges of the plywood, then set the grid fencing on top and mark the inner edges of the grid. Here, the green line is the plywood border, the red line is the inner border of the grid fencing, and the yellow is the cut/score line:

coroplast cutting.jpg

Then I cut and scored the coroplast, folded and taped it into a tray, and viola!

pigpen with coroplast.jpg

And here it is after a haircut! lol

after a haircut.jpg

But I really felt like it still needed some extra height to the grid fencing, and I'm kinda hoping to get youngsters anyway. So I cross-hatched some extra grids around the support grids:

increased height, babyproofing.jpg

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I'm going to be trying out fleece over a layer of wood pellets this time around, because I've heard so much good stuff about it. This was the only suitable brand I could find locally about 10 minutes from my house. It was just under $8 per 40-lbs bag, so maybe a little on the more expensive side, but I would have had to drive at least 50 miles to get them anywhere else, so in terms of time and gas money saved, totally worth it.

wood pellets bag from Stockdales.jpg

pigpen with wood pellets.jpg

I already had 3 large swaths of fleece I had previously purchased from JoAnn's. Each was about 4" too short to cover the full distance of the cage and wrap over the wall edge like I wanted. So, I took a couple of remnants and just sewed to the ends with a sewing machine to cover the last 4". And it's DONE!!!

finished Pigpen with red fleece 2.jpg

finished Pigpen with blue fleece.jpg

finished Pigpen with yellow fleece.jpg

When I measured the inner dimensions of the cage, it's almost exactly 17 square feet. Such a fun project, and so excited for pigs!! lol

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave
IMG_20191221_170558626.jpg
Nothing too exciting. Christmas! She can't reach the bows. Tissue box or oatmeal container to throw around seeing as she doesn't go in it. She likes to push it around or flip it. Her cozies and pillow are under the fleece. Solves any burrowing problems and she stays warm. I have an old kitchen table she'll move to once I refinish it, then I can expand the cage.

pigs down under

Cavy Slave
Here is my herds cage (2 girls and a sterilised boy)
Guinea pigs 1.jpg
Guinea pigs 2.jpgit is 2x6 base and a 2x4 loft with 2 ramps so they dont bump into one another and can do laps:D

halal.jose

Cavy Slave
IMG_1081.jpg
I have 4 boars in total and two were not getting a long so they had to be separated. Luckily, they were able to get paired into two and are separated into two different cages, one cage a Midwest and another a C&C cage. They are all now living peacefully and are very happy pigs now! Ignore the pen in the side as they were having floor time. Hope you enjoyed!

fareasthobby

Cavy Gazer
The following guidelines are useful to determine the space needed for guinea pigs. One guinea pig: 7.5 square feet cage (minimum), but more is better; generally 30" x 36" is a good size. Two guinea pigs: 7.5 square feet (minimum), but 10.5 square feet is preferred; generally 30" x 50" is a good size.

cages.jpeg
New-Cage-2011-11.jpg
Guinea-Pig-Cage-reviews-830x450.jpg

You can buy cages for your guinea pigs (broken link removed)

Zigagin

Cavy Slave
Here's my boars cage, I'm still needing tunnels for them and more toys which I'm getting in a few days.
ae2543bf5b125b20d747d7e77e68b2e0.jpg

Sent from my QS5509A using Tapatalk

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Fareasthobby: While the cage sizes are helpful, the bottom picture is a problem. Guinea pigs should never be on wire or mesh floors, only solid floors and a soft surface. They easily get infections and bumblefoot which are serious and difficult to treat.

And the running wheel hanging in the cage is also a problem. Guinea pigs don’t use wheels. Their backs do not bend into that position and wheels cause severe back injuries.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Just finished making coordinated weepads and an awning for Lacey to nap under.

scubanerds

Cavy Gazer
The following guidelines are useful to determine the space needed for guinea pigs. One guinea pig: 7.5 square feet cage (minimum), but more is better; generally 30" x 36" is a good size. Two guinea pigs: 7.5 square feet (minimum), but 10.5 square feet is preferred; generally 30" x 50" is a good size.

View attachment 86692
View attachment 86693
View attachment 86694

You can buy cages for your guinea pigs (broken link removed)(broken link removed)
Nice, how long have you had it for?

Leaf0nTheWind

Cavy Gazer
Hi folks. I'm a new cavy mama. Just got our little guys on the 24th. They're 9 weeks old. I designed and built this cage and I'm so proud of the work I did. But I want to know from more experienced piggy parents how they think it measures up. If I need to alter anything, I will do my best. The lower level measures 30x36" on the inside. The upper level measures 14x32.5". The ramps are a very gradual incline that both little guys have gone up and down with no problem and are 8" wide. I intend to add a fabric strip hidey under the second level. Any constructive criticism for me?
94515955_536066890387187_8964038810555908096_n.jpg95015331_221227732498290_929159214633320448_n.jpg
Pic of our boys for cuteness. Ash (black & white) and Ember (b/w/orange).94318485_948371772285247_4139073830129762304_n.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Very creative! i'm sure that your boys love exploring every aspect of the cage. They are adorable! Just nothing cuter than baby cavies.

First of all, the cage isn't nearly big enough for two boars, especially as they grow. Look at the previous post for recommended dimensions. The upper level is so small that it invites squabbling and one pig trapping another in a disagreement. Somebody is sure to get their nose or face bitten or slashed. If you made it twice as wide, it would be adequate as a second level and could be their penthouse apartment where one could get away from the other if they want. Having enough space to get away seems to be one of the keys to boar compatibility.

Cavies have poor vision, especially peripheral vision and depth perception. Your ramps need "guard rails" to keep the boys from falling off. I see that you have used fleece for a covering on the ramps, which is fine except that it will get soiled easily and need to be changed often. Why not consider "stair tread" material which can be found at Home Depot in the flooring section? It comes on a roll and can be attached to the ramp with a high-temperature glue gun or velcro it with industrial strength velcro. I'll post a pic of the material below. Of course, you want to orient the treads transversely to give them traction.

Tread mat_edited-1.jpg

Leaf0nTheWind

Cavy Gazer
First of all, the cage isn't nearly big enough for two boars, especially as they grow.

Thank you for your input. I will look into expanding the cage but it will take a little time to budget for materials. Do you think they will be okay in this size cage for a couple months while I figure out plans and save up? I'm thinking I might be able to expand it to 30x55" without too much trouble, making the upper level 33x32.5". I'm okay with the fleece on the ramps as I don't mind cleaning their cage every couple of days and I have a waterproof layer of PUL underneath to protect the wood, but I will devise a way to add guard rails. I don't want my boys to get hurt.

Nikki0987

Cavy Gazer
I have two girls (10 weeks old) in this cage as a temporary cage. Will have a Midwest being shipped. The pool is 38” diameter giving to same total area as a 2’x4’ rectangular cage (8sq ft). I have their food and hay pile under the hide out to encourage them to eat as they are still very shy...DA56B354-F88B-4226-9912-93729CE4C3A1.jpg

PocketPets

Cavy Slave
Here’s our boys’ new digs. We’ve had Milo, for a couple weeks now and we’re finally getting Oreo tomorrow. It is 36”x78”
C6CC4EBB-DB72-47C1-BDF2-41085F4B4B69.jpgAE5CC905-1CBE-4ABA-9884-D4B3895B513F.jpg4DC6B12E-3A1B-47EE-A71C-3A3A286E616A.jpg

Love2Piggies

Cavy Gazer
I built this with my friend a few weeks ago. Our 2 piggies love it but they will not use the ramps in it. So the only way they go into the other levels is if we put them in there. Can anyone tell my whey they won’t use the ramps? I’ve tried bribing them with veggies but they are not interested whatsoever. Is it because they might be to steep?

Attachments

AEFF08CD-5E29-47BF-9C1E-99A2289B0AEB.jpg
Last edited:

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
This cage is nicely built but not suitable for guinea pigs. They need large horizontal areas for exercise and they are not climbers. They may use ramps that aren't too steep but there should be side rails to protect them from falling. Unfortunately the ramps in your cage could be dangerous. Guinea pigs are fragile and can't judge height, so even a short fall can cause severe injury or death. Also, the wood will become a problem because it's hard to clean and will become soaked with urine. A cage like this would be good for rats since they love to climb and explore.

There are a number of grid cages pictured here that can give you ideas for building a cage: https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.