736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Re: Photo: Confirm Leela's Sex?

Quote Originally Posted by Inle_Rabbit View Post
    How about the SNL skit "It's Pat!"
    ROFL! Yes, Pat or Lady Gaga! I have a meeting this morning, but I can barely wait till the vet appt. at 2. The "mystery pig" is calmly watching me as it eats its morning salad. Poor thing is probably thinking, "I must have been adopted by a lunatic because my poor backside gets poked and prodded every stinkin' day!"

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
    We're going to get my new piggy Leela a friend, but I wasn't totally confident in the shelter's assessment that she was a girl (it came from the previous owners who turned two piggies in together and said they were both girls). Here's a photo for the experts to weigh in:

Attachment 23714
    I just want to make sure to get a same-sex friend for obvious reasons! Mufasa was very obviously a boy, but I'm not 100 percent confident by looking at Leela that she's a girl or that she's a Fry in disguise.
    Start a poll: Female or Male

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2023 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

There are pigs with ambiguous genitalia, just like there are people with them. Thank heavens we don't have surgeons reassigning them to one gender or the other while they're still infants the way they did children just a few years ago, and still do, in some cases.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    102 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    There are pigs with ambiguous genitalia, just like there are people with them. Thank heavens we don't have surgeons reassigning them to one gender or the other while they're still infants the way they did children just a few years ago, and still do, in some cases.
    SO TRUE!!! It happens more than most of the population knows :(

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Well, the verdict is in: vet says unneutered boy! Must be smallest testicled pig in the world, but apparently they're there. I immediately called the shelter, and they're going to notify the person who adopted the other one.

Sigh. This puts a big wrinkle in my plans, as I had a friend lined up already, but of course it's a girl. That's what made me question "Leela," as the people who have the girl got her a supposed same sex friend and ended up with babies. Dad and babies are gone already, and mom has to go due to a move. Now it's either back out, albeit for a good reason, or figure out how to fit in a cage with a good divider. I already have grids but no coroplast.

As a side note, the Kirkman Road vet clinic was great. They ended up not even charging me. However, while we were there, a person from a chain petstore came in with a dead animal in a shoebox to get a necropsy. I shuddered to imagine some disease going through their animals (although I'm glad they're consulting an exotic vet).

7. "Thank you, mufasa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Sorry the lady-friend won't work out, Muf. On the bright side, I totally voted that it was Fry. Heheheh. Are you gonna name him Fry now?

Thanks
    Thanks
    179 Rec'd/140 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
    Sigh. This puts a big wrinkle in my plans, as I had a friend lined up already, but of course it's a girl. That's what made me question "Leela," as the people who have the girl got her a supposed same sex friend and ended up with babies. Dad and babies are gone already, and mom has to go due to a move. Now it's either back out, albeit for a good reason, or figure out how to fit in a cage with a good divider. I already have grids but no coroplast.
    Glad we have a definite answer. As far as the friend goes...since you have found an experienced exotics vet who does do guinea pig neutering why not get your little Fry neutered? I know it's an added expense, but could be worth it in the end.

If not, there are plenty of homeless GPs in our area. Trust me, I look all the time. Orange County shelter gets them in fairly regularly. The website link is below if you want to start looking... They don't have any right now, but check once a week and you'll find some in no time.

Animal Services

Just something to think about.

10. "Thank you, Catahoula, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Hubby is for the neutering (we met the girl pig and he fell in love because she looks sort of like Mufasa). I'm thinking if we take her and initially keep them separate and they seem to like each other through a divider, we can have him snipped and let them be together. If they're not thrilled with each other, they could stay divided.

I am SO glad I got that second opinion. I'm thinking of a total name change, so that's TBA (although Pat is appropriate).

12. "Thank you, mufasa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Wow, that was definitely the stumper of the month! Glad you finally got an answer!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    241 Rec'd/200 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Must be smallest testicled pig in the world
    ROFL!! Good thing pigs can't read-he'd be so humiliated! LOL

15. "Thank you, Petlovr, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

LOL, yes, I guess that's not the nicest thing to say about my poor guy. I renamed him Borat. We used to call Mufasa "rat" so it's a little nod to him as well as to the movie. I am so, so, so happy we found out his sex before letting him bunk with a girl. I'm going to go back and hand out thank yous as I really appreciate all the opinions and the advice to get a second opinion. You guys know more than the vet tech!

The new piggie can be Leela, and if they get along separated, then I feel pretty confident in the Kirkland Road clinic to do the neutering. I have a huge area where I can set up side-by-side play zones for two pigs so they can see each other and get used to each other without getting close enough for a Borat-style "sexy time" during floor time.

Thanks again to all! At least I know 100 percent Leela is a girl since the poor thing had a litter. No more of that for her.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

What an amazing story! So this vet was able to express the penis?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Not sure, as they took him in the back and we never even left the lobby. I was filling out the new client paperwork and told the receptionist why I was there. She said, "That's all you need? Just a sex check?" He was gone and back almost before I knew it!

Interestingly, when he's having floor time and is walking around all relaxed, I can see that looks like testicles. They're not huge, readily apparent ones like I've seen in some photos, but I can see the shape and some "hang down."

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

looks like a boy i have 2 girls and i dont see that little bump on either of them

User Tag List