Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 79

Thread: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

  1. #21
    Cavy Slave GGLuv's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 25, 2011
    Location
    Irving, TX (suburb of Dallas)
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    10
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    That is so true. I had my dog for 19 years and the quality of life for him got to be really bad but I just couldn't let go. My family and friends told me it was wrong of me to hold on instead of thinking of him. Finally my mother suggested that I take him to his vet and get his opinion which I did. His vet said that although he was healthy, he no longer had a quality of life. He was blind, it was difficult for him to lift himself up from the floor, because he couldn't see, whenever he heard an unusual sound it scared him so that he would start pooping and although he was use to riding in the car, the day I took him to get the vet's opinion, he pooped all over the seat. This was a first. I decided to go ahead and euthanize him but it was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made. I was so distraught, the vet wouldn't let me leave his office for at least 30 minutes afterwards.

  2. "Thank you, GGLuv, for this useful post," says:


  3. #22
    Cavy Slave iugin's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 14, 2011
    Location
    athens,greece
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    10
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    There is no such a thing "love with logic".Do you love your children with logic?Those little animals is all to your care.How can you "love them with logic"?You only can only love them insanely..

  4. #23
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 16, 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    Actually, I think I love with logic. Logically, if I have a piggy that is sick and needs expensive medical care, I logically ask myself, "As a living, breathing, sentient being, does this individual still have the will to live? Is her/she not in such pain or discomfit (or will be) that euthanasia is my only option?" If he/she does still have the will to live (there's a spark in the eye, many of you will know what I mean) and if euthanasia is not the only ethical option, then I will pay for medical care. I have savings to cover this. Logic does not just refer to financial issues, nor does it mean one lacks compassion. In fact, compassion weighs heavily in my reasoning when deciding the best medical course to take with a sick non-human animal. If I have chosen the responsibility of being an animal's carer, I take that responsibility of caring very seriously. It can be a difficult, time consuming, and expensive form of logic, but there it is. My logic may be different to yours, and my priorities may be different, but I love with logic. As expensive and challenging and as heart breaking at times as it is.

  5. "Thank you, sidhashair, for this useful post," say these 4 members:


  6. #24
    Cavy Slave pocketmonster's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 14, 2011
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    112
    Thanks
    93 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    You do not love with logic, you love selfishly. If you really wanted to share your view of the subject, you would not construct this post full of slangs such as, "UMMM check yourself". Most of us here are adults, and the ones who are not are some of the most well-spoken young girls (and maybe boys!) that I have ever heard. You turned people off immediately with the brashness of your statement.
    Now, to return to your actual post:

    Quote Originally Posted by charliespet View Post
    I just wanted to see others opnions on my statement:

    I believe a Cavy is a great, loving pet, and owners shouls always consider their health when thinking about breeding. They should be able to care for whatever babies arrive, and not make a habit out of it, HOWEVER I believe Cavy owners have the right to make that choice and breed if they want to have more pigs on their own.
    Everyone has the right to breed cavies. We also have the right to spank children, or drink ourselves into oblivion, or spend all our money on stupid materialistic things, but we don't, because we know the benefits in no way outweigh the consequences.

    Quote Originally Posted by charliespet View Post
    I also have a strong look at this: A guinea pig is a rodent. A rodent with a decent life span, BUT they can get sick easily, and vet bills can add up.
    I also have a strong look at this: A baby is just a primate with advanced intelligence. A primate with a decent life span (but not compared to many other animals on this planet: tortoise, elephant, etc.), BUT they can get sick easy, and doctor bills can add up. With that logic, when I have children, I should take into account the difficulty of taking care of them as opposed to just euthanizing them, right? If it's easier to kill them as opposed to taking care of them, then that's okay, right?

    Selfishness has driven you to draw a line between humans and animals. You see animals as lesser than us because they do not have an advanced higher intelligence (and thus, an organized language), which is common in human life. So is racism, discrimination, anti-semitism, homophobia… To see YOURSELF as better than someone/something else and therefore declare that they do not deserve treatment of their illnesses.


    Quote Originally Posted by charliespet View Post
    They are rodents. Some might think I don't love my pigs...UM check yourself, because I love them dearly,I just love with logic. Although I'd never be able to "put down" my pig the way we put down rabbits, I def would consider euthinisation before I'd consider surgery.
    I do not understand how someone cannot look at a small animal and not become full of compassion for them. They're so small and soft and rely 100% on us for life. How can that fact alone not pull on your heartstrings?
    @charliespet , how can you look down at those little faces and see those little lips and tell them that "I can't see spending too much money trying to make you better,"?

    Perhaps being a small pet owner is not something that you're quite cut out to be.

  7. "Thank you, pocketmonster, for this useful post," say these 10 members:


  8. #25
    Cavy Newbie mufasa's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 20, 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    13
    Thanks
    227
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    I think maybe it's part of the throw-away mentality that seems to be getting more pervasive by the day. When I move from IL to FL, some of my co-workers were shocked that I brought my three cats with me. Their attitude was, "It's easier to get rid of them and just get new ones." Uh, yeah, I'm just going to dump my beloved felines for the sake of my selfish convenience...I don't think so. They'd probably swallow their tongues if they realized I moved one of my horses down here, too, and what it cost.

    The scary thing is, that mentality seems to be spreading to kids as well. Pocketmonster's comparison gave me chills because I live near the epicenter of the Casey Anthony insanity. Basically it boiled down to the child being inconvenient, so she got it out of the way. There are plenty of other cases here almost weekly that never make national news. The latest, which made me sick to my stomach, was a guy who punched a three-week-old-baby...yes, an INFANT...in the head so hard that he fatally fractured its skull, then put it back in its crib for the mother to find when she got home. Why? Because it wouldn't stop crying.

    In a world where someone kills a baby for doing what babies do, is it any surprise there are people who won't pay vet bills for a guinea pig or who kill rabbits born as the result of a "joke?"

  9. "Thank you, mufasa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:


  10. #26
    Cavy Slave Scintie's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2012
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    19
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    That is not logical. It's selfish.

    Guinea pigs aren't just rodents. All the term rodent means is an animal whose teeth continually grow. Why do they deserve less because their teeth never stop growing? Humans are just humans, why do they deserve medical care? The average guinea pig will treat you better then the average human and you repay them by saying they don't deserve medical care? They are smaller then us but still live like us, breathe like us, eat like us and feel like us. How is it logical to say they are just rodents and you love them in the same sentence? I feel horrible for your piggies.

  11. #27
    Cavy Slave unaspirateur's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 11, 2012
    Location
    cleveland, oh
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    I think it would depend on the cost. If they had a cold and it was a ten dollar antibiotic? ok. If it was something expensive or time consuming, id be ok with putting it down. IE back when i had a cat, she was getting older, but she wasnt "öld" and had diabetes along with kidney stones. Instead of paying for the insulin that we would have to make sure to be home twice a day to administer, we had her put down. Did i cry when we put my cat down? yes. Did i regret the decision? No. I love my pets, but they are pets.

  12. #28
    Cavy Slave Scintie's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2012
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    19
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to add, I do not believe anyone has the right to force a animal to breed. Look at it this way, if you were unable to fully care for yourself and were being cared for by someone is it their right to force you to pop out numerous babies that will risk your life just because they are responsible for you? Animals aren't objects, you don't own them. You take them in and care for them.

  13. #29
    Cavy Slave Scintie's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 10, 2012
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    19
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unaspirateur View Post
    I think it would depend on the cost. If they had a cold and it was a ten dollar antibiotic? ok. If it was something expensive or time consuming, id be ok with putting it down. IE back when i had a cat, she was getting older, but she wasnt "öld" and had diabetes along with kidney stones. Instead of paying for the insulin that we would have to make sure to be home twice a day to administer, we had her put down. Did i cry when we put my cat down? yes. Did i regret the decision? No. I love my pets, but they are pets.
    Thats exactly what they mean by loving with selfishness. My dad towards the end of his life had 2 strokes and became completely reliant on family for everything. He was paralyzed on one side and couldn't even get to the bathroom. He was also diabetic and had to take insulin. Was he alot of work? Yes. But we did it out of LOVE. My mom who had her own place and a new lover took him in and cared for him because she loved him as family still. Yes that's a human, but it's no different. Putting a Max price on a human or animals care is WRONG.

  14. "Thank you, Scintie, for this useful post," says:


  15. #30
    Cavy Slave stacy97006's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 09, 2011
    Location
    Aloha Oregon
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    53
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    Mufasa I did the same the first time we moved from the east to west coast we brought a hamster, when we moved back to the east coast I brought 3 kids 3 cats and towed a car and when we moved back to the west coast (am I am not moving again!!! darn military life) I brought the 3 kids 3 cats and towed car again. Pets like my children depend on me to survive the pets more so and I would never think of caring for them less than my children. We now still have those 3 cats a dog 4 guinea pigs and a fish and except for that fish if god forbid I moved again they would all come with me.

  16. #31
    Banned
    Joined
    Nov 02, 2011
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    28
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    My pigs are not just my pets, they are my family. You would never leave a family member to die, you would treat them. Pets are family and they deserved to be treated that way.

    My grandmothers dog was put down last year. She had glochoma, she was blind, she was lossing hearing, she had three tumors, we tried as hard as wcould to keep her comfotable in her final days. One day she wouldnt get up, we new it was time. She passed with the things she loved, her cargivers, herleash, and her brother. She was 13.


    Why would you not save a life? If you cant savea life you really havent loved it in the first place. You take in this deffensless animal only to some day kill it because it cost money, money live and to breath.

    I am sorry but I dont care now much this hurts,

    I hate people like you. People who are to self centered, and ignorent to open their eyes and see the world, see everything. Take care for nature, from a ant, to a whale. We need to care for living things. Killing things is cruel.

    I do not lime the way you are thinking, andif this is just some cru joke to get the forum fired up, its not funny,its sick. Your pigs look up to you for help, only to relize that when they need it most you wont be there.

  17. "Thank you, go_ellie, for this useful post," says:


  18. #32
    Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 13, 2011
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    4,650
    Thanks
    593
    Thanks
    1,104 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    There is only logic and no love in what you (@charliespet) have just said. I think most people understand the quality of life logic but your stance is purely financial logic. Your guinea pig is doomed to die when his line item on your budget gets too big. After all a guinea pig only costs 30 dollars, it is more often cheaper to replace him than it is to fix him. I just had a similar discussion with my husband about our old couch. I guess the guinea pig can be grateful that when he does become too expensive to keep any longer you won’t hammer head him. He will love you until his dieing breath and you are planning on throwing him away once he cost too much. So sad for both of you.

  19. #33
    Cavy Slave GGLuv's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 25, 2011
    Location
    Irving, TX (suburb of Dallas)
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    10
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    Quote Originally Posted by go_ellie View Post
    My pigs are not just my pets, they are my family. You would never leave a family member to die, you would treat them. Pets are family and they deserved to be treated that way.

    My grandmothers dog was put down last year. She had glochoma, she was blind, she was lossing hearing, she had three tumors, we tried as hard as wcould to keep her comfotable in her final days. One day she wouldnt get up, we new it was time. She passed with the things she loved, her cargivers, herleash, and her brother. She was 13.


    Why would you not save a life? If you cant savea life you really havent loved it in the first place. You take in this deffensless animal only to some day kill it because it cost money, money live and to breath.

    I am sorry but I dont care now much this hurts,

    I hate people like you. People who are to self centered, and ignorent to open their eyes and see the world, see everything. Take care for nature, from a ant, to a whale. We need to care for living things. Killing things is cruel.

    I do not lime the way you are thinking, andif this is just some cru joke to get the forum fired up, its not funny,its sick. Your pigs look up to you for help, only to relize that when they need it most you wont be there.
    Hi go_ellie, I know this is off the subject but I just wanted to know if your picture is of your piggy?

  20. #34
    Cavy Slave miss_melmel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2012
    Location
    windang NSW AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    13
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    what i just read was like a BIG slap in the face.
    I would spend my last sent and let myself go hungry then let anything happen to my animals.
    they are my babies not just something you can dispose of when you have had enough of them or things get to hard.

  21. #35
    Cavy Slave charliespet's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 29, 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    357
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    68
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    @pocketmonster Everyone is equally entitled to their own thoughts and opnions about animals, and no, a baby and a guinea pig are not equals. At all. If you think so, than that is totally your right. Remember, humans eat animals. With that said, I don't think this forum is really the proper place to discuss Animal Rights, my thoughts were simply an idea. You would do well to just state your own opnion on a thread rather than try to start a fight, or make jabs at someone.

    I love my pets, and yes, I would euthinize a guinea pig before I spent 1,000 dollars on one. It's just logical to me. To others, it may not be. I would, as I said, do what I could do for my pets to try and hlep them recover, such as vet visits, shots, etc. So I will take your post as you do not agree. You would spend your last dime to protect the life of your cavy. Awesome. Standing Ovation. You are the Queen of Compassion.

    I am a positve person, I love my animals, but I believe in common sense. If a Cavy is suffering, I choose to put them down. That's my opnion, and my right to see it how I see it, its not wrong because its different than yours. Good day, and I wish you the best of luck.

  22. "Thank you, charliespet, for this useful post," says:


  23. #36
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location
    Eagle Rock, CA
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    35
    Thanks
    40 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    Well, yet again someone comes here to offer nothing but stirring the pot at a site devoted to "rodents." And has yet the bravery to address each and every post with Vulcan "logic" even as it is a straw man argument to begin with, having nothing to do with what the site stands for. Even as she/he is looking at the thread now to see what "controversy" has been started. Why take the bait, people? This is not a real debate; it's just trolling.

  24. #37
    Cavy Slave charliespet's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 29, 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    357
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    68
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    @unaspirateur A lot of people assume that because someone looks at the world differently, that they are cold or selfish or cruel. The truth is, everyone is entitled to their own opnion. I agree with you, and that was the point of my post, that I do the best I can for any animal in my care, making sure they have all their needs and emotions met, a clean enviroment, check ups, but, I also know when an animal has suffered enough, and when it is the job of the care taker and vet together to decide the best option for the paticular animal. It is humane to end the suffering of an animal, esp when the owner can no longer afford to take risky surgeries or harbor the financial strain. Thanks for your post, it was concise, and seemed realistic.

  25. "Thank you, charliespet, for this useful post," says:


  26. #38
    Cavy Slave charliespet's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 29, 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    357
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    68
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    @sidhashair WOW you said it perfectly! Thank you. And yes, over the years of owning pets, many times we have had to make that decsion. It's not easy to let a fur baby go.

  27. #39
    Cavy Slave charliespet's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 29, 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    357
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    68
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    @Cavalicious I posted this in the "kitchen," for a reason, its not an easy topic to discuss. It can be done and done with respect to others opnions, and also, its open for others to point out things that might actually sway someone's thoughts, that's the point of a "heated topic," It's only trolling if you try to hurt others on purpose with name calling, slandering, or downright just trying to be cruel. Cavies are rodents. This site is for ALL cavy owners, ones who all have different outlooks, ideas, etc. I do not agree with those who compare a guinea pig to a human baby. That's ok. That's my view. I tend to think a lot of folks would agree with that. I never stated that I would just leave my pig to die, or just simply say "oh well, take the thing out back." I would however, consult with my vet, and choose the most logical outcome, the most humane approach to dealing with the illnesses or complications my pets developed.

  28. #40
    Cavy Slave charliespet's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 29, 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    357
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    68
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

    Re: Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

    @mufasa seriously, you all are reading wayyyy to much into this. First of all, in the world of meat breeding, crossing the wrong rabbits causes defects. These rabbits must be put down, or else suffer. My brothers were kids, thinking the bunnies were cute in the cages together. I would not consider "throwing out," my animals. Ever. If one had me worried, they go to the vet. You may be confused. I was stating that I believe it is more humane, more logical to euthinize a pig who is suffering rather than put it through numerous costly surgeries and medications and going against nature. Like one poster said, "the will to live," My point is, accepting death and breeding is a part of raising animals. No one should ever turn thier back on a pet they have commited to. I have adopted animals all my life, nursed them back to health, including wild animals I found hurt or abandoned. Posting about bashing babies skulls is really borderline.

    It is my opnion that all families should have proper knowledge, planning, and advice before they attempt breeding, before they put an animal to sleep, etc. LOGIC. Reasoning. The most UN selfish thing you can do as an animal activist, lover, owner, foster parent, etc, is to use logic, love and consideration. Esp when an illness develops. That said, a knowlegable and loving pet owner DOES have the right to make decisions for their animals, because they cannot make them themselves.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •