Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Biting

Our little guinea pig only a few months old at best and is pretty laid back for the most part, but sometimes she will start nibbling our fingers and then full on bite it, to the point where she has drawn blood. She doesnt seem to be doing it out of spite or anger (we think) becuase shes not really showing any signs of being angry or in distress. She just chews on a lot of things, she will often try to nibble our clothes while we hold her, and i think our fingers are one of those things.
    Is it possible that is all there is to it?
    Is it something more sinister? (do we have a werepig?)
    Is there a way to get her to not bite us (because blowing in her face when she does it doesnt seem to be doing anything)

Thanks
    Thanks
    167 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

Re: Biting

Indeed...I was just holding Kwee a few minutes ago, she was laying down on my chest and wheeking and purring, then suddenly she just chomped on my thumb.

And we usually feed her lettuce or something while we hold her, so I don't think she's trying to eat us out of hunger.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

one of my guys does this and he is less vocal so i think that his little nibble is a sign he is done being held and put him back. this was after a few times of him nibbling and then biting hard. being he isn't biting hard to begin with i think hes just trying to let me know hes gotta go. but i dont know. i am interested in others advice as well.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

i just found this in another section and wanted to share.
    CavyCrazyChris

Cavy SlaveFromTraverse City, MichiganJoinedOct 06, 2005Posts46Thanks0 GivenThanks7 Rec'd/2 PostsMentioned0 Post(s)Quoted0 Post(s)

Re: Common Misconceptions about Guinea Pigs and their Care

My guinea pig bites me when I hold him/her - he/she must not like me anymore.

FALSE

If your guinea pig bites/nibbles on you, you may have trace sents of food on your hands/fingers and salts from sweat. Or simply that he/she no longer wishes to be held from a solid surface for long periods of time (be sure not to dangle their feet).
    Try to wash your hands before you handle your cavies and put them on your lap or a solid surface as soon as possible if they still bite/nibble while being held.

Also, some guinea pigs (like mine) may nibble on you to indicate their need to use the bathroom inside of their cage, rather than go on their towel or blanket. Once they take care of business, they'll enjoy being held a lot more.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

thank you! i know sometimes she nibbles me after ive been handling her food and clearly have food scent on me. so i had figured that one out, but it was the times that i didnt think i tasted like food and she bit me. but perhaps it is the bathroom thing. i will try to put her down before the chomp part of "nibble nibble chomp" and see how that goes

6. "Thank you, unaspirateur, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    167 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

I'm sticking with the theory that she's a werepig.

8. "Thank you, Mastershroom, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure that my nibbler is doing it because he doesn't want to be held. Im leaning toward him being a little ornery as opposed to him always needing to go potty. I'm torn because if he's being ornery I don't want him to always think that if he bites then he'll be put down. On the other hand, it's been a long time since he's gone to the bathroom ON me...

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Murk21 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my nibbler is doing it because he doesn't want to be held. Im leaning toward him being a little ornery as opposed to him always needing to go potty. I'm torn because if he's being ornery I don't want him to always think that if he bites then he'll be put down. On the other hand, it's been a long time since he's gone to the bathroom ON me...
    i would keep track of when he is doing it. my guy starts right about 15 minutes after i sit down with him. which is right about the time my other fellow starts talking. if hes doing it right away he might be ornery but if hes doing it after 10 minutes of being held he probably has to pee.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I've been looking for someone who has gone through this too. I have two girls Penelope and Sophie (4 month old sisters) and Sophie is the sweetest she will let me hold her and pet her, but Penelope on the other hand is totally different. It first started when I was feeding her lettuce. She started nibbling and then bit really hard breaking the skin. I figured I smelt like lettuce, but then I picked her up to put her in her new cage and she let me pet her for a few seconds but then she just bit down and drew blood. Now I'm kind of scared that every time I let her sniff me she will bite me. Is there anything to do to change this?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I have this problem with our eldest pig, Siggy. She bites all the time. I've tried treating for mites, I've tried thorough hand washings, I've tried letting her sniff my hands for ages before holding her. And I don't think it's that she needs to pee, as she will start biting from the moment I pick her up. She just bites regardless. It's not always hard, sometimes I try to think of them as lovenips, but other times it's broken the skin or left me with big purple bruises. Thing is, she does enjoy being cuddled, she purrs and chortles and flomps onto you with eyes half closed to soak up the fuss. And it's not just wiggly fingers she bites. It can be a nice still shoulder and upper arm too. Even my cheek once. I find it very challenging as I am sure it's not malicious but it doesn't make it hurt any less. Still, I get her out every day in the hope that with enough patience and careful handling I can break the habit. TBH I have no idea what else I can do...

For the record, she's seen the vet 3 times too. "Excellent condition" were the words he used so it doesn't look like a medical issue either....

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unaspirateur View Post
    Is it something more sinister? (do we have a werepig?)
    Omg. YES. I read that in a very serious voice and it cracked me up.

My pig, Elliot, was a huge biter when I first got her. She would be totally okay, then she'd clamp her little teeth down onto my finger.

I don't remember doing anything specific to stop it, because I couldn't find any helpful advice online. She just sort of stopped as she got older.

She still bites to this day if she feels annoyed or wants down. She gives no warnings either. Finicky little thing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    167 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mishkapop View Post
    I have this problem with our eldest pig, Siggy. She bites all the time. I've tried treating for mites, I've tried thorough hand washings, I've tried letting her sniff my hands for ages before holding her. And I don't think it's that she needs to pee, as she will start biting from the moment I pick her up. She just bites regardless. It's not always hard, sometimes I try to think of them as lovenips, but other times it's broken the skin or left me with big purple bruises. Thing is, she does enjoy being cuddled, she purrs and chortles and flomps onto you with eyes half closed to soak up the fuss. And it's not just wiggly fingers she bites. It can be a nice still shoulder and upper arm too. Even my cheek once. I find it very challenging as I am sure it's not malicious but it doesn't make it hurt any less. Still, I get her out every day in the hope that with enough patience and careful handling I can break the habit. TBH I have no idea what else I can do...

For the record, she's seen the vet 3 times too. "Excellent condition" were the words he used so it doesn't look like a medical issue either....
    If she's been treated for mites and has a clean bill of health, then it pretty much comes down to her personality. When Kwee starts to nibble at me or my clothes, I tap her lightly on the nose with my finger. It doesn't hurt, but it causes her to stop...at least for a little while.

She may never stop entirely, but hopefully you can get her to slow it down a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieri View Post
    Omg. YES. I read that in a very serious voice and it cracked me up.

My pig, Elliot, was a huge biter when I first got her. She would be totally okay, then she'd clamp her little teeth down onto my finger.

I don't remember doing anything specific to stop it, because I couldn't find any helpful advice online. She just sort of stopped as she got older.

She still bites to this day if she feels annoyed or wants down. She gives no warnings either. Finicky little thing.
    Kwee has definitely eased off the biting in the couple months we've had her. Now she just eats my clothes.

User Tag List