Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat HELP, piggie hates fresh veg/fruit and pellets

annie89

Cavy Slave
Just as an introduction to my situation:
I have been an owner of a chinchilla for a little over 2 years. When I learned about how crappy brands like Kaytee were I immeadietly ordered Oxbow from the internet, I tried transitioning slowly but the little bugger picked out every single Oxbow pellet and lef the Kaytee behind (can't blame him!) so he now LOVES the Oxbow, has a beautiful coat and so far has not had health problems.

I am panicking about my guinea pig. Im very afraid that she is not getting proper nutrition. I just bought her Feb 22, when she was supposedly 2 months (I bought her at a pet store, not a breeder). They told me they gave the piggies a mix of every type of bulk food they sold. So I bought the most legit looking one I could find, and they did not have Oxbow so I bought some at a neighboring pet store about a week later.

She did not seem to be eating the bulk food that I bought for her at the first pet store, and she would not eat any fresh anything. She does eat hay 24/7, and will only eat Timothy Hay (not any sweet hay or grass or any with flowers or anything in it). What a plain Jane!! =P

I tried doing 1/2 and 1/2 w/her pellets and transitioning to Oxbow slowly, she does not seem to eat the Oxbow at all and in fact only picks out certain things in the mix that she originially had (like dried peas and carrots).

So, in a nutshell:
-She won't eat any fresh anything; I've tried the follow -- peppers (red, yellow, green), oranges, apples, pears, about 4 types of lettuce, dandelion greens from the grocery store, cucumber, carrot, and various fresh herbs... ALL organic, ALL thoroughly washed! WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?? What else can I try??!

-I like Oxbow because it's uniformly one type of pellet, but she just won't eat it. I'm afraid to ONLY offer her the Oxbow, I don't want to make her scared or angry or frustrated because she is very young (about 3 months now) and housed alone.. Is there another pellet with Oxbow quality that my picky piggie might like? Or should I just switch her cold turkey??

-What type of vitamin do you recommend because she does not seem to be eating the proper things? A chewable Vitamin C? Or liquid multi-vitamin? Something else?? I'm just not sure.

nicoleb

Cavy Slave
Transitioning with half of her food and half oxbow right away may be too quick for her. We had to transition over the course of about 6 weeks when I took ours off of the food they started on. Start out with mostly the food she eats and just a little oxbow, and gradually add more of the oxbow in to the mix.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I know you say you bought her from a pet store, and not a breeder, but to clarify, they are no different to be honest. They are in it for the money, not for the pigs.

Also, finely dice up pieces of veggies with her pellets and hay if possible. FINE, meaning pencil eraser size. Just an idea.

georgieslim

Cavy Slave
i have two bowl, one oxbow pallets and another bowl mixture of carrot , cucumber , green pepper and cherry cucumber . they only eat the carrot others left it there. the home breeder (where i bought my milo and mocca) said i provide too much hay, so ill cut down my hay and put more pallet and vege. if my mocca and milo got no food to eat>? they will take the vege and pallet?

is it advisable to reduce their timothy hay to hope they will take the vege and oxbow pallets?

GusGusandOreo

Cavy Slave
Don't reduce their timothy hay. Pellets are the least important part of their diet. Hay should be the main part of their diet and should be offered in unlimited supply. Veggies are important too for vitamins and such. Remember the general rule is 1 cup of veggies, per pig, per day.

georgieslim

Cavy Slave
hi gus,

when u mention 1 cup of veggies means? im not sure how much / pieces of vege i should provide for their breakfast / dinner.

but when they consume too much hay, they are too full to consume pallets and vege? as hays did not provide sufficient vitamin and such.

GusGusandOreo

Cavy Slave
hi gus,

when u mention 1 cup of veggies means? im not sure how much / pieces of vege i should provide for their breakfast / dinner.

but when they consume too much hay, they are too full to consume pallets and vege? as hays did not provide sufficient vitamin and such.

I've really never figured out the whole cup thing either. But, when I first got my piggies, I followed these menu examples (link below). It will give you a general idea of how much of what you should be feeding them. I've never really had a problem with my piggies not consuming pellets or veggies. They eat everything pretty much. Give your piggies some time to adjust and they will probably come around and start eating their pellets and veggies when you give them to them.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

georgieslim

Cavy Slave
thanks .

another question
im putting male and female tgt at age of 2-3 weeks
if i separate them , will they be lonely?if yesi might well buy 1? or should i change my male to female now? i adopt them for 4 days only...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.