Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Missing nail!

Noticed the other day that one of my piggies is missing a nail on her front leg!
    My husband and I are both in school during the day, and we heard nothing out of ordinary in the evenings.
    It looks as if the nail is completely gone... :(
    There had been some bleeding apparently because there is a bit of dried blood on her toe. We didn't see any blood anywhere on any of the bedding. She has been acting normal, aside from a day or two when she seemed to 'mope' but we thought it was because she ate too much lol. We didn't see it because she is a long hair, and quite fluffy. We check nails once a week when we change out bedding and that is when we noticed it.
    There is no redness, she isn't bothered by it, she popcorns when its time for food, and runs after the other piggy. Should I go ahead and take her to the vet, or should I take a wait and see approach to it and keep an eye on it, and just take her in if it gets bad?

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

Re: Missing nail!

No need to go to the vet unless you see swelling, discharge, or a bad smell. Or limping.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    241 Rec'd/200 Posts

I'd wait and see. If it's not bothering her, red and swollen, or oozing any fluid, then I'd advise just to keep an eye on it. Did you find the nail anywhere? I wonder if she got into a fight, or got it caught in bedding and pulled it out?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/55 Posts

I read that rabbit's nails will fall off if not trimmed enough. Maybe it's the same for piggies? How long were her nails?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

I'd just really check to see that there's no woven fabric or gaps or places where she can catch a toe or foot. It sounds like it will heal up on its own but I'd check to see if there's something that needs to be adjusted or removed from the cage, just in case.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

When I checked her feet, it was when I had checked the other piggys feet too, and she needed a clipping. That is when I found that she had been missing the nail. We have fleece bedding in the living area, and a paper type bedding in the kitchen. The only thing I can think of is that it was somehow caught on the ramp going into the kitchen... but we have watched her go in and out without any trouble, and it is a solid plastic ramp.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...tml#post619931
    My setup is the one at the end of the page, with the pink sheet under the cages.

I really am baffled at how it could have happened lol.
    We will definitely be keeping an eye on her. Thanks all :)

Section Moderator CanadianComforts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    292 Rec'd/198 Posts
    Blog Entries

My guess would be that she may have caught it on the white bar of the store bought cage. From that photo you can see a bar under the opening that holds onto the cage's base. I would guess that it could possibly got caught when jumping in or out.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianComforts View Post
    My guess would be that she may have caught it on the white bar of the store bought cage. From that photo you can see a bar under the opening that holds onto the cage's base. I would guess that it could possibly got caught when jumping in or out.
    I agree with you. I think I'd add something to cover that gap. They could catch a foot in there.

9. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List