Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Young male guinea pig has cysts and a respiratory infection... need advice :/

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Yay!! Well done getting into an exotic vet. I'm happy to hear Rupert is doing well. I also want to add that I commend you for using your last dollars to care for this little guy. I know how hard that can be (not the decision itself but everything else). Also, I would be forever loyal to that vet of yours. So many would have euthanized instead of allowing a payment later...It's nice to see some of them are still in the business to save lives FIRST and make money second! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
How would I go about doing that? I worked for the same Petsmart about six years ago. We regularly sold sick animals. I protested regularly to my manager but he only saw dollar signs. Besides, it's corporate.... no way to really say "no". I remember that we had a batch of baby chinchillas come in that all had heart issues. One died and the on-site vet determined that it was a condition the whole litter had. She urged my manager to consider pulling them from the shelves, but he didn't. He wanted to make sure they'd all live past the 14-day guarantee... long enough for a customer to buy one, take it home and have it for 2 weeks and then not get his/her money (or heart...) back once the poor thing passed away. They were about $130 each. Cruel people. I was on the floor and I would encourage people not to buy the chinchillas. Some still ended up getting sold and people brought back their poor little bodies, determined to get their money back... and were denied since it was usually past the time period. So messed up. We also sold baby rats that were all sick.... as well as hamsters with wet tail. All of them had wet tail. It was a nightmare working for them.

Go online and look up Dept of Agriculture in your state. There should be a number to call to report abuse. I made a report after visiting a really disgusting rabbit rescue here in IL. They go out and investigate and do follow ups if they're not shut down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.