Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Attention, Guinea pig and rat!?

CavyCraziness

Cavy Slave
With goldfish you really want to get another filter. They produce a lot more ammonia than other fish, too much ammonia will kill them.

@Peanutter is right a rat needs a buddy.

I can't tell you want to do. You need to do what you feel is both right and just for the animals not just what is convenient. If I were I would take a few days to think things over. Maybe try talking to your parents too.
I know he needs one.. :/ but I also need to get a cage first, which I need to save money for. i think giving away my fish is the best for them, and yeah..

Peanutter

Cavy Slave
I find with having multiple pets the key is to have set times for the cleaning/feeding etc..
It makes it alot easier and you dont need to worry when this or that for each needs to be done.
e.g rats are cleaned fully on saturday, and spot cleaned on wednesday, plus fed their fresh meal daily. cats and puppy get fed morning & night... etc, each has their own time which makes it easy, i know this routine in my head when the day comes i dont even need to think about what i need to do for each & when to do it anymore because its already there.

I have many pets myself.. and it does take a while to adjust too, but you soon get use to the number you have.

I currently own...

-a puppy (Molly)
-2 cats (Calico & Boston)
-2 rabbits (Smokey & Bella)
-2 guinea pigs (Champaine & Splash)
-a bird (Matilda)
-Axolotls
- and 12 rats (Crackers, Coco, Brandy, Bailey, Skittles, Ghost, Mr Bitty, Thelma, Louise, Tyler, Yuki & Yuko).

you just need to figure out what works for you in your daily routine to get everything done that needs doing. :)

CavyCraziness

Cavy Slave
With goldfish you really want to get another filter. They produce a lot more ammonia than other fish, too much ammonia will kill them.

@Peanutter is right a rat needs a buddy.

I can't tell you what to do. You need to do what you feel is both right and just for the animals not just what is convenient. If I were I would take a few days to think things over. Maybe try talking to your parents too.
I just asked my mOm abOut another rat. She's not budging. Last night Rex tore apart his hammock... Is that a sign of depression?

GuineaQueen

Cavy Slave
Our rats (3 males) are a bit chewy, but they have never destroyed anything. They do need friends, and they need a lot of play time and love human interaction. If you cannot provide that, then i agree it would be better to re-home the current rat. You can find him a lovely home, and no one would judge you for not coping, that is a lot of animals! I think getting another rat (even though ofc that is what should happen) would add to the overwhelmed feeling you probably are experiencing. You can find him a nice home, and it is very clear you are thinking about what is best for your animals. That is only a good thing, but sometimes, to do what is best, you may have to be extra selfless. I hope you are ok. Sometimes it is easy to get in over your head! :)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Get a big bucket and just let it sit for 24 hours before adding to you tank so that the chlorine evaporates.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
A lot of times the tap water has Chloramines in addition to chlorine, and chloramines DO NOT evaporate, so a general water conditioner to detoxify the tap water is a must. If you don't have a filter, you have to change about 1/2 of the tank water EVERY DAY so that the fish can stay healthy.

Re-homing the fish is not the problem. You took the fish on, and that's for life. You don't get rid of a pet, even fish, because you want a different animal instead. That's why rescues and shelters are so overwhelmed with animals. You need to talk to your Mom and admit that you made a mistake in getting the rat. He's bored and getting destructive. I really don't understand why you got a rat if you didn't have an appropriate cage for him, and you knew you were only allowed to get 1 rat. I understand that you are only 13, but you need to be mature and responsible, and re-home the rat, or take him back to where you got him. The fish-try calling local fish stores, the Mom & Pop kind, not chain stores like Petco. They might take your fish, since you are having a hard time caring for them without a filter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.