Hi I'm new here and I'm so glad I found this forum.
I really really do apologize if there has been another thread posted that already gives specific information for signs of pregnancy.... Here is my dilemma:
I recently received a female guinea pig towards the end of Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 (I forget the exact date). When I received her, she was very skiddish and afraid, but I assume that's normal since she wasn't used to me yet. One day she started bleeding from her back in two bald spots on opposite sides. I read online that it was a natural tendency for her to scratch/nip herself like that and it was a sign of pregnancy. I did check online to see what type of skin conditions there were, and she doesn't seem to have any, she's very clean. Anyways, I did as much research as I could about pregnant guinea pigs and I believe there is a 10 week waiting period until she delivers her babies. It's been already about 10 weeks or more, and she hasn't given birth. I don't understand. Oh and also she has weird habits that convince me that she IS pregnant. Some may be normal, but I'm not sure, but tell me what you think?
1. She is not active, only comes out to eat and drink, but sleeps most of the time. She rarely leaves her castle dome.
2. She drinks TONS of water, a full bottle overnight sometimes.
3. I felt two hard lumps in her stomach when I tried to pick her up.
4. She will NOT allow ANYONE to pick her up or she will scream.
5. She chatters her teeth at me every time I bring my hand close to her.
6. She eats A LOT and often wheeks for food.
7. Her urine is kind of transparent white when it is dried, but not cakey. Also smells a bit acidic?
8. Her butt sides are HUGE, she looks like a giant peanut. I don't know if she's overweight, or if she is pregnant, but this is a major sign.
9. This is also probably immature to state, but she makes a weird "poofing" sound like she's farting... . She doesn't look sick though. Her poop looks fine too.
10. She nips and scratches at herself a lot.
I've read she needs lots of Vitamin C, but she won't eat any fruits I give her. I've tried a lot of different kinds, but nothing acidic (like oranges). So I got her "Kaytee Fiesta Mix" pellets that has extra Vitamin C. I also feed her collard greens and carrots, which she enjoys much more than the pellets.I also gave her Alfalfa Hay at first, but we ran out so I've been giving her Timothy Hay this past week. I've tried giving her different treats like apple wood chew sticks, fruit treats like guinea pig trail mix, whatever I find. She doesn't touch them either. She doesn't play with any of her toys. What do you guys thinks? By the way, I've never owned a guinea pig. Here is an image of her:
Don't worry, that isn't her actual cage. I had to temporarily put her in a box while I made a C&C cage for her. That's when I first got her though, a long time ago. She's very plump now, and weighs more than before. Isn't she adorable? Haha. She's really funny, but really mean to me.