Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites How to treat fleas on pigs?

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I'm fostering a stray kitten I've found lost in the streets, I took her to the vet and they said she doesn't have any fleas, ticks, or mange. I saw fleas on her yesterday, I'm going to the vet again to have it treated... Unless you guys know how to treat fleas on kittens (not sure how young she is). She could have gotten the fleas in the streets or from our neighbor's dogs. We live in an apartment and our rooms are very close, I've also found ticks crawling around even when I didn't have pets.

Now I worry about my pigs, so far they still look and behave normal. Should I treat them now just in case or should I wait for signs?

I have Espree natural kitten shampoo, the bottle doesn't say it kills parasites, but other websites says it does. Any one with experience with this shampoo? Would it be safe for my pigs just in case?

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Flea comb, spray fleas with 99% Isoproponol alchohol. works like a charm. Make sure you wash all their bedding too.

Flea lifecycle: Egg, Larva, chrysalis, adult. They can remain dormant in chrysalis form for-ev-er and will hatch out as adults when they're exposed to carbon dioxide. There are chemical free flea traps that you can get that emit Co2 and attracts them and drowns them in a pan of soapy water. best way to get rid of them without chemicals. But on the animal, comb, spray...better than pesticides...I don't know if citronella is toxic to piggies, but if not, you could get the piggy to eat some and voila...in built flea protection. (as in the Citronella plant)

Edited by bpatters: Do NOT feed citronella to guinea pigs or another other animals. Littledinobug, please check your information before posting something that could be fatal to someone else's pet.

Make sure you vaacuum, even if you have hardwood or laminate, the chrysalis can slip in between the cracks. So make sure you get a good swiffer vac or a good one with a floor attachment and vaacuum like a crazy.

throw out the bag. don't keep using it. of course if you're using a canister vac just dump after every clean into a garbage bag and tie it off.

Fleas are a pain...and too many can kill your piggy and the kitten via anemia/blood loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
Gaaah! Sounds like a lot of work! Thank you! :)

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Fleas are alot of work to get rid of. And I did say I didn't know if citronella plant was toxic or not. >.> if it was then don't feed it. But there's no way to really repel fleas except with pesticides or citronella. Figure if it's bad for them to eat it's bad to put on them too. So, religious picking and cleaning...that's about all I can suggest. That and the CO2 trap in the corner of the room. The key is to have it put out more than your piggies to attract the fleas to it, and not the pigs. I know garlic is a good repellent but, it needs to be eaten, and I doubt that's good for piggies either.

So yeah, it's a bind for sure. Fleas are a pain to get rid of, from any animal.

btw, you comb the fleas out of the coat, then you squirt the comb containing the fleas, with the rubbing alcohol. don't apply it directly to the animal. Fleas are jumpy so moving the comb to a bowl of it is very difficult if you want to get all the adults..because one or two will jump away during the transit between animal and dish of rubbing alcohol.

This is how we got rid of fleas on newborn puppies btw, so it's a very gentle method.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Revolution should work for fleas as well as any other kind of parasites your guinea pig may have. In the U.S., it's only available by prescription, but in some other countries it can be purchased over the counter. You'll have to check where you are.

It will require several doses spaced apart -- probably three. If you have to treat the pigs, follow the directions for kittens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.