Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Temporary Cage Situation - Need advice!

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm a college student who has 3 piggies at school. They have a big C&C cage at school that they love. However my spring break is coming up and I obviously am taking them home. Before when I did this, I only had 2 and put them in their old store cage. They were fine, although a bit crowded, and I took them out a bunch. However there is no way all 3 can fit in that cage. It's way too much of a hassle to break down their C&C cage, pack it up, reassemble, and break it down again in 5 days. So my options are buy another pet store cage and put the two cages next to each other, putting 1 by herself and the other 2 together. Or buying a big rabbit cage of some sort and putting all 3 in. What would you do? Regardless I will be taking them out for lots of floor time but I want them to be safe and happy. Thank you!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Could you buy another box of grids? You can zip tie all the panels together loosely and leave the end open. Once you get home, you can line the floor with shower curtain or plastic table cloth, then some towels/uhaul pads/blanket or whatever you choose then fleece. Setup the grids and tie the open end. Once you're ready to pack them up, just cut the zip ties at the end and fold the grids.

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
You could also buy a Midwest cage. They are about 8 sq ft, very portable, and cheap on Amazon. While it would still be cramped, it should be fine for a week unless you have some territorial boars.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Could you buy another box of grids? You can zip tie all the panels together loosely and leave the end open. Once you get home, you can line the floor with shower curtain or plastic table cloth, then some towels/uhaul pads/blanket or whatever you choose then fleece. Setup the grids and tie the open end. Once you're ready to pack them up, just cut the zip ties at the end and fold the grids.

This is a great suggestion. You can also incorporate the grids by securing to the door section of the top of the pet store cage to make more room. So they have use of the store cage and the grid section. Heavy duty garbage bags can work for the base if you don't have an old vinyl tablecloth.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I would not separate them or you might have trouble trying to reintroduce them. The above suggestions are great.

sarica338

Cavy Slave
@lissie, Great idea lissie, [MENTION=21185]TCTrun[/MENTION], well that habitat can get a bit pricey. I would use lissie's idea, if you can find some grids.

-sarica

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I used what lissie suggested a few weeks ago when we went on a long weekend trip. Buy a shower curtain from the dollar store and then just bring your fleece supplies. I had my piggies travel in a large laundry basket, it was a 3 hour trip and they did fine.

sarica338

Cavy Slave
I used what lissie suggested a few weeks ago when we went on a long weekend trip. Buy a shower curtain from the dollar store and then just bring your fleece supplies. I had my piggies travel in a large laundry basket, it was a 3 hour trip and they did fine.
Thats really good that yours did fine, hopefully SpicyPiggie's do good too.

-sarica

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Great idea walmart has grids on sale for 10 dollars (16 grids)

M.and.F.Piggies

Cavy Slave

Telling people about offers like this, constitutes extreme cruelty to those of us (in the uk and some other wheres) who can't get our hands on grids at any amount, or only at a LARGE amount, of money. I have had a small swear (not at you, or even Walmart, just at the unfair nature of the world) and am now weepping quietly into my cup of tea :mad::weepy::weepy::weepy:

pinky

Cavy Slave

Make sure they're the 9 space across grids. The Walmart by me only sells the 8 and 5 space across which are dangerous.

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
I decided to get a Midwest cage! It's being shipped home right now. And if things turn out really bad, I'll just run to BBB and get grids. Not the end of the world!

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
Great! Yeah the Midwest cage is marked WAY down on amazon. It's definitely too small for three pigs long term, but if they are bonded well then it should be fine for a small while :)

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
Just a tip - I found that I couldn't put a water bottle where I wanted on the midwest cage. It was either too high or too low due to the nature of the wiring. I ziptied a single grid to the cage so I could fine tune the vertical position of the water bottles.

boofp

Cavy Slave
Telling people about offers like this, constitutes extreme cruelty to those of us (in the uk and some other wheres) who can't get our hands on grids at any amount, or only at a LARGE amount, of money. I have had a small swear (not at you, or even Walmart, just at the unfair nature of the world) and am now weepping quietly into my cup of tea :mad::weepy::weepy::weepy:

I am sorry and I do say its unfair... I will weep with you .

boofp

Cavy Slave
Glad it worked out for you would love to see pictures of them in their travel cage

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
I decided to get a Midwest cage! It's being shipped home right now. And if things turn out really bad, I'll just run to BBB and get grids. Not the end of the world!

I am at school with three piggies as well and just got back from break! I'll share with you how I have been able to incorporate my piggies into my flexible lifestyle.
In my apartment, my two boys have a 3x3 C&C and Radley my girl lives in a small Midwest cage by herself while I search for her perfect friend. Both are on towels and fleece, as the Midwest accommodates fleece and towels by tucking them under the wire frame.
To travel, my two boys are in one large laundry basket by themselves and I tuck Radley into a hoody which I place in to 1x1 grid cube. She either sits on a friend's lap or is secured in the front seat with me by using the seat-belt.
Then, at home, Harper and Scout live in an old baby Pack-N-Play turned playpen. I put shavings down and let them out for floor time many hours during the day. Radley is in her Midwest on a table, away from dogs.
I hope your Midwest works for you like it worked for me! :)

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! Love all of that. I feel much better about taking them home now!

englishdaffodil

Cavy Slave
@boofp--were those Walmart sale grids at a brick-and-mortar store? 'Cause all I'm seeing on walmart.com is a ridiculous $40 grid system...fooey. (Thanks!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.