Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

:d new piggeh!! <3

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
Soooo, today I saw the SWEETEST little pig at the pet shop, as I'm always there, and I ended up getting her :D!! CUTTTEEE!!!! She is a funny little thing, probable only about 3-6 months old! :D She's not so used to humans, but neither is one of my other pigs. She is sooo speedy! Like, really fast! Lol, what a sweetie <3 So, the question is, should I post some pics? :D!!

Scintie

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new piggy though I don't think youre gonna get much encouragement for buying her from a pet shop.

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
I know, but there are no recue places around here, just breeders and pet shops, so I try to buy pigs that are there for more than a week, if I can :)

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new pig! You are quarentining her, right? Yes, you know we'd all love to see some pigtures.

Quick question: how long have you been here? Ditto what Scintie said, good luck w/ everyone's approval of where you got her from...but congrats none the less :)

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
:) Yes, I have an outdoor cage (In Australia, it's a good climate for outdoor cages) that has a room divider with a door, and I have blocked off the door. She is in the smaller half, as she's littler and has only ever lived in a 1 story cage, where as Pixie and Pearl are used to the ramp leading to a bottom half where they can have grass. There is enough room for three, so nothing to worry about in size issues :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new piggie but between buying her at the pet store and housing her outdoors, I'm not sure you will get much in the way of a pat on the back.

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
Okay, just saying this, not to those who have already posted, but those who may post in the futre
Yes, a petshop pig. Please no "PETSHOPS ARE EVIL AND TREAT THEIR ANIMALS/PIGS BADLY!" comments, as I know the owners of this petshop and their employees absolutley LOVE playing with the pigs in floortime :) They have a ridiclously sized cage with hidey houses and plenty of friends and toys!:) All of my pigs are happily living in an outdoor cage, and Austalia is NOT boiling hot in most steriotyping movies, but it is wet and moderatly COLD up here, and they are well suited to the temprature. It is not cruel, or mean in ANY WAY.

Okay, now that that's out o the way...
Again, not telling those who have already posted, but those who may post in the futre. :)

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new piggie but between buying her at the pet store and housing her outdoors, I'm not sure you will get much in the way of a pat on the back.
I know, but I've put my point across on how pigs are well suited up here for outdoor cages and there are no rescue shelters for miles and miles around :)

piggies1331

Cavy Slave
Please do post some pictures about your piggy,lillypearlandme.Sometimes there is such a thing rescuing a piggy from the store.I have seen piggies spending months at petstores,no one want them.

Scintie

Cavy Slave
It's not really about how they treat their pigs (yes that is an issue but not the main issue) its about the fact that buying from a pet store encourages the breeders that supply to said pet store to keep breeding, when their are so many homeless pigs that need a home.

1 pig gets bought from store which makes the store have to order more when in turn makes the breeder have to breed more to keep up with the stock. If that makes any sense? I bought my first pig from a pet store before I knew how many pigs are out there that needs home. So I'm not trying to be rude, just explaining the deal against pet stores.

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
Please do post some pictures about your piggy,lillypearlandme.Sometimes there is such a thing rescuing a piggy from the store.I have seen piggies spending months at petstores,no one want them.

I find it heartbreakingly sad, but the petshop I obtained her from was one of the best I've ever seen :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure you can dictate how people respond to your post. People are going to say what they want to say and have the right to do so.

As for housing outdoors, there are multiple reasons, other than just weather, not to house your pigs outside.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I SECOND THIS

Pet shop sounds pretty good, dont like them being outside but thats my oppinion and im not judging you for it. I dont think pets should be outside unless its chickens ducks geese, pigs horses and cows or any other farm animals but in saying that all animals deserve to be cared for and these farm animals should all have clean appropriate habitats and access to indoors out of weather.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new piggie. I would love to see a picture. I know what piggies13331 is talking about. There was one little piggie who showed up at a local Petco in town with a group of others around Halloween, all the others were sold and that little guy is still there. Now there are new cute little ones in there and one older one...who do you think the people are going to take home, the sad older piggie or the cute baby ones. It's very sad and very hard not to scoop him up and love on him.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
she is adorable

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I would love to see what sort of cage you house them in, because, for all my years of owning pigs I have never seen a single one that is appropriate for outdoor housing in this country.

Also, where do you live in Australia? I bet I could find some homeless pigs near you.

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
I would love to see what sort of cage you house them in, because, for all my years of owning pigs I have never seen a single one that is appropriate for outdoor housing in this country.

Also, where do you live in Australia? I bet I could find some homeless pigs near you.
North Queensland, one of the wettest places down under lol. I will see if I can find any of my cage as soon as possible :)

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
I have a picture in Keeping Cavy Cool on how I keep my pigs cool :) I also give them a light spray of water every now and again.
There is only one animal shelter within a good few miles, and unfortunatley they don't sell guinea pigs. I have a sister down there though, and she could pick one up that I have selected. After all, where there's a will, theres a way ;)
Thanks for taking your time to notify me of those shelters :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.