Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Hair Loss? Possible Barbering?

Gemma375

Cavy Slave
I'm having a similar problem with my oldest piggy... I've noticed a fairly small, round patch on her back where the hair is thinning - it looks kinda like yours does from the picture. I can see her skin through the fur in that area, but there is no sign of itching, redness, scabbing, dandruff or any other sign of mites or parasites. Is it best to take her to the vet to see what's going on? And if so, how quickly should I get down there? I have a day off on Monday, or I'll have to leave work early to get there tomorrow night (which I need to be careful about as I'm still on my probationary period at work!) Any advice on if or when I should take her to the vets?

Ragdolleh

Cavy Slave
I know it probably doesn't help but my guinea pig had a very potent v-shape along his back and after inspection I found he had visible lice in his fur. It's worth taking a good look, but if you've noticed bleeding you probably would have noticed lice. You've probably established by now that mites aren't visible. Stick with what the others say and treat both of your pigs. Good luck! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.