Thanks
    Thanks
    241 Rec'd/200 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Re: Can pigs travel?

It's totally doable. I used a large hard sided dog carrier, but our trip was 5 1/2 hrs. I have to agree-not on the dashboard, definitely strapped in the back seat, no water bottle-they end up dripiing and then the pets are sitting in a mucky wet cage, and plenty of rest stops. I would never fly my pets in cargo on a plane. I recently checked, and buses and trains are out, there's a transportation law that prohibits animals. Good luck

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

@Petlovr They allow pets on planes but not on trains or busses? That's strange. I wonder why that is?

About water bottles- don't you worry they'll dehydrate? I totally understand not wanting to get your pets wet, but I'd worry about them not having enough water. :/

Thanks
    Thanks
    241 Rec'd/200 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

@critterluvva
    @Petlovr They allow pets on planes but not on trains or busses? That's strange. I wonder why that is?

About water bottles- don't you worry they'll dehydrate? I totally understand not wanting to get your pets wet, but I'd worry about them not having enough water. :/
    I was told that it's a transportation law. I asked the supervisor, since it was 2 boars, and they'd be in a small cage.

As for the water bottles, you're supposed to stop every 2-4 hours and walk around to prevent blood clots in your legs, so just hang the bottle then, or when you stop to eat. With wet veggies, and stopping at night, they should be fine. It's far more dangerous to have them sitting on drenched bedding for hours than to be a little thirsty. Skin can start to break down in less than an hour, and you don't want bumblefoot or URI's from the wet bedding. I didn't know the bottle dripped so much til I tranported my bunny. He ended up laying in his litter box because there was a puddle in the bottom of the carrier. It was gross.

4. "Thank you, Petlovr, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littledinobug View Post
    He's in the Canadian military.
    @littledinobug

Of course we stop for potty breaks and stretching! When I say non-stop, I mean we do not stop for lengthy meals, overnight stays, etc. The guinea pigs, dog, and four cats do great in the car! They would also much rather come with me than to not.

Thanks
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Well for a total cross Canada drive, you have to stop for overnights. It's a given.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippie View Post
    @littledinobug

Of course we stop for potty breaks and stretching! When I say non-stop, I mean we do not stop for lengthy meals, overnight stays, etc. The guinea pigs, dog, and four cats do great in the car! They would also much rather come with me than to not.
    First, you're quote doesn't go with what you're saying. "He's in the Canadian military." Isn't a question to how you travel with your pets. Secondly, please make sure you're addressing the right party. littledinobug didn't say any thing about how you travel with your pets, I just double checked her posts, I did.

When I hear "non-stop" I'm thinking you mean "non-stop". I was both surprised and alarmed when I heard that, so I said something. However, you've spoken clearly, and now I understand what you meant. I apologize if I upset you, it was not my intention- I was, literally, confused. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I think it depends on the pig. I moved from PA to TX, just like @Field-of-Dreams did. I only had one pig with me at the time, but she survived! Also, the only stops we made were to get gas and some snacks from the gas station. Other than that, my dad kept going.

Weeks before moving, I got her used to a dog kennel. When she was out during floor time, I opened it up and let her go in and out of it as she pleased.

The night before moving, I put a bunch of fleece in it, a little hidey, her food bowl, and I attached the water bottle to the metal grid door. I then put her in it.

While my dad drove us to TX, I constantly checked up on her for any signs of stress and I gave her veggies here and there. My dad doesn't like to use the AC, but I talked him into it since it was very hot out and I told him Elliot could die from that.

She was a-okay with the drive and acted as if nothing happened once I moved her back into her cage! (:

My other pig was not fond of traveling before. She would tense up and get really stressed when I took her to the vet, so I started taking Elliot to vet visits too. She's now okay with traveling as long as Elliot is with her.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually flew with my piggy from Atlanta, Georgia to Victoria BC. She was in the cabin with me. You are allowed two guineas per carrier, one carrier per person was the rule with the airline I used. So it is safe, and it is possible to have them in the cabin with you. She was tucked nicely under the seat in front of me, didn't make a peep the whole trip that was two summers ago and she's healthy as a horse!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

@Piggy Harmony What airline did you use?! That would be so helpful for future reference. JIC... I would have worried that the pigs would never stop making noise!!!!!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It was a while back, but I'm pretty sure I used Delta then Alaska Air. I thought of the noise as well, but she was quite as a mouse

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

When i moved down here with my family I had 3 piggies and we drove to our new place the day before our actual move day to drop off the piggies in their cage with food and water.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/41 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

I moved 1600 miles before and had tropical fish, I was told by many I would have to sell or give them away before leaving and there was no way I was going to do that. I bought a battery operated air pump and put them in a Styrofoam fish cooler I was given by a fish store. They all made it. I also had a dog, a cat and a ferret. They all made it too. We traveled in a Nissan Maxima and a Uhal truck. Your pets are able to live in temperatures you find comfortable so if you have air conditioning and heat to regulate your environment to a normal and comfortable level they will be just fine. Just make sure you give them the basic care they need everyday like hay, pellets and some veggies to snack on. A simple medium sized dog carrier with a fleece blanket on bottom will do the trick or even a well ventilated cardboard box. They will have to travel in the cab of the truck or in the passenger area of the car with you, you can not put them in the back were you would not be able to control the temperature.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

I heard for planes that you can put them under the seat for $75

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I am in college, and when I go home every couple of weeks, I put my 2 girls in a cat carrier with fleece that already has their smell. I also pack the food and hay, along with veggies soaked in water. It's only a hour and a half drive though, so nothing like going across state lines. I also seat belt them into the back seat hehe

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

I travel down to my nan's with my piggie and my dog every once in a while. It's a 2.5 hour journey, but I give him plenty of wet greens and some hay. I normally use my hamster's Megazorb bedding so he can burrow. AC is on when it's hot. The box is small but if I was going on a longer journey I'd pack a few grids and connectors that are easy to grab and set up a playpen. Now I have a C&C I will be able to take down the cage and take it when I go.
    When we go abroad we travel him, Roxy and my robo hamster down to a friend so they can take care of them, but when we are going for a few days and there isn't someone close enough, we take them with us. Broccoli doesn't get too stressed, and we make sure he has instant access to water as soon as we get there.

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

Yes of course gps can travel just like any animal. They will need to be relaxed as much as possible. Since they are so small they stress really easy. Since you will be traveling with them it would be best to fly. Flying is quicker than driving if your moving really far away. Although it is expensive transporting them by air. But with them being small you maybe able to carry them on board instead of them being stored in cargo.

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/71 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

If you're driving and making overnight stops, LaQuinta Hotels accept pets for free! We always use them when we have out critters with us (cats, dog, hamster, birds, etc). I've traveled with my guinea pig before when I was in middle school. He did great in the car and at the hotel

User Tag List