Thread: Going vegan--sort of (succesfully!)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Going vegan--sort of (succesfully!)

I have been transitioning my diet pretty heavily in the last month or so. My goal is to be on a veggie based/whole foods diet, with very limited processed foods (almost none, accept oil, really), cheese or yogurt on very rare occasions, and no milk whatsoever. I'll probably eat fish or grass fed beef, free range eggs on occasion, but only once a month or so, particularly in the spring and summer when the farmer's markets are in full swing.

But my day to day diet will be vegan. I've been growing my own sprouts (alfalfa, quinoa, mung beans, and a couple kinds of mixed leafy sprouts), wheat grass--and once I grow enough, I'll be able to have a shot every morning--spices, and lemon grass, and I'll be trying to grow some produce on our porch in the summer. I'm eating only whole grains--lots of rice, whole grain pita, and whole grain tortilla chips that actually are wheat based with buck wheat as well--legumes like lentils (LOVE THEM!), mung beans, and black beans. And relying on quinoa and rice/bean mixes to get my essential amino acids.

Since I've started, I've made my own hummus, which was much cheaper and more delicious than the store bought stuff, guacamole, some delicious lentil and curry dishes, and I'm planning on making Pad Thai for the first time, making some lentil miligatawny soup, vegan sushi, and a lot of other things. The thing is, it's not even a difficult transition so far, and it's so fun to be involved in growing/preparing your own food.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Going vegan--sort of (succesfully!)

That sounds amazing! I think its absolutely wonderful that you enjoy something enough to stick to it and even going the extra mile and grow your own food. Kudos to you! I'm hoping to start a garden for me and my piggies this spring. I love fresh veggies but the price of store bought is sometimes to much. I hope it goes great for you!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd really suggest trying sprouts out, they take up hardly any counter space (I use an easy sprouter) and are ready to harvest within a week after you started them. Leafy sprouts have really high yield too, about a quart of sprouts per two tablespoons of seed, and they are piggy friendly. It costs about 2.50 or more to buy some alfalfa sprouts in a store (that aren't organic and may have salmonella or other bacterial growth), whereas I can grow a ton myself for less than 50 cents a batch.

4. "Thank you, ARrescue, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thank you for the suggestion! If you don't mind my asking where did you purchase your easy sprouter?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got mine on amazon, I've got two now actually, since I tend to go through a batch in a few days: Amazon.com: Easy Sprout Sprouter - 1 set,(Easy Sprout): Home & Kitchen . I also am partial to the Sprout People (you can google them). They have great instructional videos, 80 varieties of seed (all organic, though they do have conventional broccoli seed as well), and everything you need, though they tend to be marginally more expensive, but I love them anyway. I got my juicer and seed there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thank you for all the information its been very helpful!

User Tag List