Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Tips on easing baby into living with older male?

alannanee

Cavy Slave
I recently welcomed two beautiful baby piggies, one boy and one girl. While in theory it works great (a companion for both my male and my female!), I'm worried about abruptly moving the little boy. Today I had the two meet in a neutral location. My Tungsten (older male) has been an only child for quite awhile and enjoys his freedom of floor time. The baby boy Polo is only three weeks old. Tungsten is not and has never been aggressive. For quite awhile during intro, Tung continually circled Polo and was rumblestrutting, often mounting and subduing the baby. I know this is important for establishing hierarchy, but he is still chasing Polo around once and awhile to rumble and mount. I thought for awhile it was due to the fact that the baby smells like his mother (whom Tung visits through the bars), but I just need some reassurance or tips that I'm doing the right thing here!

Also considering the psyche of Polo, having been moved with no warning, and mom and sister seem anxious that he's gone.

Any suggestions and tips are appreciated!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're doing fine. If Polo isn't being bitten or harassed to the point that he can't eat and is losing weight, leave them alone. Things will likely change when Polo hits puberty, and Tungsten will get a dose of his own medicine!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, put them together in their cage and leave them there.

If they can indeed visit the mom and other female baby through bars, they may eventually start fighting over them. Can you put their cage across the room or something? Also, it's possible the babies are still small enough to fit through the grids, so you'll want to babyproof both cages. I am assuming you have C&C Cages? If not, definitely check out the cage size standards on the front page of this website.

alannanee

Cavy Slave
Have two 2x4 CC cages and they are on opposite sides of the room. Tungsten visits the ladies during the night when he has his floor time. Polo will have floor time more like I do with the girls, Tungsten has a different routine. I never considered hem fightin over the girls, that's a good thing to keep in mind. My outdoor playpen is a figure 8 shape so they can communicate when it gets nicer out, but the squares are very small so there's no risk of escape.

And yes the cages have been baby proof since before the birth :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.