Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Training Piggies

MaggieandSeeds

Cavy Slave
I have just cleared out the piggies' room so that they could have floor time in a larger area than just a pen. The only problem is that the room is carpeted. How can I potty train them to only go on the fleece with newspaper underneath?

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
You can't, sorry. Piggies are sort of picky in that they'll either use a designated spot or any spot and even one that tends to be clean in the cage may not be during floor-time. The best thing is to simply cover the entire area in question, then there are no problems, or find a room without carpet if at all possible. You might try putting something on the fleece area that has a bathroom scent to it (ie if you put towels under your fleece put one over there) so they might gravitate towards there. However, no guaranties.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I've had pigs for years now. They are not really trainable. You should also have towels, puppy pads or uhaul pads under the fleece at all times. Newspaper does not soak up pee very well.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Just have some paper towel handy and when they pee, fold a piece up, and lay it on the wet bit and stand on it for a few seconds to blot up the pee. After the piggies go back, just spray it with some resolve pet spray and follow the instructions. No big deal. When my mom used to breed shar-pei (Key word is used to, she no longer breeds) we used to do that with the puppies after their floor/people time.

zoenanai

Cavy Slave
Our piggies have been really good about only peeing on the newspaper in their cage. I have their regular lining of fleece and then a layer of newspaper on one end (opposite where the food/hay is) and they are dedicated to using this area (especially one specific corner) to pee. Even after I clean out the cage and put fresh fleece and newspaper, they go right over to it and pee. There is also a layer of newspaper under their food/hay dishes because they tend to go over there as well. It's rare that I have found wet spots in the middle anywhere. Makes it easy to just dump the newspaper a couple times a day and spares the fleece. Maybe try putting some newspaper down in their play area and placing them on it to see if they will go (or maybe wonder off but come back to it). Or whatever they link to the potty area in their cage. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I got a rug off of freecycle and put that down, then roll it up afte the guinea pigs are done. When I clean the carpets I will just clean the rug too.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I always like to lay blankets down when I do floor time with my pigs. Not only to keep the floor clean from any accidents, but for their own safety. A few years ago when I was doing floor time in my front room, my pig found a sewing pin. He had it half way down his throat. Thank god I noticed and was able to pull it out of his mouth. I felt so terrible and guilty. I have no idea how the heck the pin got there! He could have been seriously injured. From now on, I always lay down a bunch of blankets. That way I know that there isn't anything dangerous they can eat. It's can be a lot of work laying blankets down all over the floor, but at least I know they are safe that way.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have 2 piggies and from day 1 they some how know when it's free time that they can only pee and poop either in there hideyhos or on the white pee pad. Not on the carpet..

Training Piggies

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.