Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Switching Pellets....

Ok so before you read this click this link so you can read about my piggies first http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...me-4-pigs.html ok so after you read that so were talking about my 3 piggies right now sugar,nugget and trufflez so ... here is the ages

Sugar,Nugget: 6 months in about 10 days cuz the petsmart said they were born mid august anyways

Trufflez:5 months early march again, petsmart said she was born late sept early oct

so those 3 are together problem is in about 10 days i am going to start switching them cuz there 6 months and sugars like 2lbs 2.5 ounces and nugget is 1lb 14 ounces i think and truffles is only 5 months soon and only 1lb 8 ounces so i do not know what i should do ugh so frustrating

so.. i thought mabey i could take trufflez out and make her a 2x2
    i dont know where i would put it cuz we have like absolutely no room but i would find somewhere so if you could plz give me some ideas i would love it!

Thank You

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Switching Pellets....

I would like to know if my suggestion would be good or not for the pigs....

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ellisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    387 Rec'd/297 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)

Your post is a bit confusing to read. What is your concern? Is it that you are switching from alfalfa pellets to timothy and you're worried about your 5 month old?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

ellisa ... yes and because she is quite small compared to sugar and nugget and young
    Last edited by lovemypigs.; 02-10-12 at 08:22 pm.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ellisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    387 Rec'd/297 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)

At this point, you can switch all of them over to timothy pellets if you would like. You could supplement your 5 months old with veggies higher in calcium such as parsley.

Guinea pigs, like people, come in all different shapes and sizes. She's still growing, and as long as she's eating, happy, and healthy, I wouldn't worry about her weight.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ellisa View Post
    At this point, you can switch all of them over to timothy pellets if you would like. You could supplement your 5 months old with veggies higher in calcium such as parsley.

Guinea pigs, like people, come in all different shapes and sizes. She's still growing, and as long as she's eating, happy, and healthy, I wouldn't worry about her weight.

Thanks... i am stil deciding but one more question do you think if i did take her out for i would say 3 months would it be hard on her or the other 2 ? i have heard of piggies dying wen they got seperated (even tho this would only be 3 months) ... anyways thanks again

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

You could either keep feeding them a controlled amount of a high quality alfalfa pellet, as long as there is no sludge in their urine, or switch them all over to timothy & supplement the younger one with a few springs of parsley daily for her calcium intake. As the youngest one is so close to 6 months, I wouldn't bother with the alfalfa pellets at all.

There is absolutely no reason to separate them, and it would do more harm than good. A 2x2 is also much too small for one pig. Separating them could cause a depression on the young pig, and it could lead to weightloss.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    335 Rec'd/208 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I agree, put them together. Make the biggest cage you can as the more room, the less chances of fighting. Most sows do fine together. Be sure to have many hideys with TWO exits. Cardboard boxes are fine and you can throw them away when soiled. Don't use the plastic pigaloo things. Too many squabbles over them and there is only one exit.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duffinvt View Post
    I agree, put them together. Make the biggest cage you can as the more room, the less chances of fighting. Most sows do fine together. Be sure to have many hideys with TWO exits. Cardboard boxes are fine and you can throw them away when soiled. Don't use the plastic pigaloo things. Too many squabbles over them and there is only one exit.
    I have the 3 girls in a 2x3 right now .. so i cannot have huge houses and such

anyways
    Thank You

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

A 2x3 is not nearly large enough for three girls, it's the absolute minimum for one. Is there any way you could expand?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I agree with the above posters. I just wanted to add that I recently had to separate my youngest male from my other two bonded males. They got into a fight (like rolling around, one was bit and was bleeding). I moved my youngest into a 2x3 c&c and I feel like he doesn't have enough room. If it isn't enough room for one piggy its not near enough room for three! Also he is already sad and he has only been alone a few days. I plan on getting him a friend once I locate one, and of course a bigger cage. I wouldn't separate and I would make your cage bigger.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yes I know .. We are trying to switch around our living room if you guys have any ideas on what types of sizes like other than a 2x whatever if u get what im saying

thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

You can make it an L shape to fit in a corner/around something, or a more square 3x4 - 4x4. As long as it meets the recommended size (13 sq feet) or more on the base level, you could build it in whatever shape you want. (But not any narrower than 2 grids wide.)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalLecter View Post
    You can make it an L shape to fit in a corner/around something, or a more square 3x4 - 4x4. As long as it meets the recommended size (13 sq feet) or more on the base level, you could build it in whatever shape you want. (But not any narrower than 2 grids wide.)
    thanks you gave me some ideas now .... just all the measuring and where to put it is the hard part we were talking about moving the cage for like a month or 2 so once i find out the layout and where to put it i hope to have them in a bigger cage by late feb

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

This was a huge issue for me as well. After switching EVERYTHING around for a month with no luck, I had to bribe my partner with a new computer screen in exchange for throwing out his large ugly desk. Voila! A happy boyfriend, no ugly desk, & space for a really squished in 2x5 cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

well thats what we have to do for our children

User Tag List