Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

...And then there were seven.

Hello! I'm very happy to be posting here. I hope I can get over my post-phobia, though, as I have lots of questions! I have been reading the forum avidly for the past couple of days and it is so wonderful. Thank you to everyone who gives such wonderful advice daily! How exhausting it must be typing out the same information all the time.

Warning: Pardon my long-windedness.

I never really thought of myself as someone who would ever love a small animal. Cats and dogs all the way, man. Along comes my little Daisy all alone in this little aquarium at PetSmart. It just blows my mind, she was so cute. Her hair was all spiked in weird ways, I totally didn't get it. When the man pulled her out, I tried to smooth it down and was mildly surprised that it was supposed to be that way! So, we clearly knew a lot about guinea pigs at this point in time. This was this past July. We talked to the guy at the pet store, whose knowledge was limited as I recall, and we bought a book from them about guinea pigs. We don't do animals half-heartedly. We went all out with this thing.

So, we got home and I happily cuddled my Daisy as I was already claiming her as my own. She was terrified. The cats were in love. The dog was jealous. After putting her in her (retrospectively, tiny) cage where she promptly hid, we started reading the book. It's pretty neat. It's nothing as wonderful as some of the webpages I've found from reading this forum, mind. But if it was good for anything, it was that it stressed to us the importance of having a friend.

Thus, the next day (as we couldn't find one we liked that night before the stores closed) we bought Lucki. Annnnd we bought a larger cage. Super expensive, still really tiny. At least, in our eyes now. They had that cage for a long time before I realized how small it was. I didn't really think they were that unhappy. I mean, for the most part, they seemed to love each other way more than they loved us. Up until our most recent additions they were both big biters. My Daisy particularly was not happy to be held. Maybe she was just too young, or maybe I didn't handle her enough. Who knows. She's a perfect love-bug now though.

Flash forward to just after Christmas. We were at Pet Supplies Plus and had to walk past the guinea pigs. There was an adorable little black one with these floppy ears. Oh goodness. We told ourselves if we ever got more guinea pigs, we'd definitely, definitely try and adopt! Unfortunately, we were already in love. After deliberating, and the pet store telling us "they don't guarantee sex" well... we still bought her (welcome home, Floppy!). Fortunately, since we didn't know she was a girl, we didn't introduce anyone right away.

So then we found out that Floppy was pregnant. We frantically read up about guinea pig pregnancies and were promptly terrified. We did take her to our vet who checked her out. She was such a little girl when we bought her, and then suddenly her belly was ginormous. She had her babies on January 16, so they are three and a half weeks old now! I wasn't around for the birth, but I hear it was scary. And cute. My other two ladies came around immediately to help care for the babies. I'm a little upset I missed it. Floppy came through astoundingly well, I think. She was a wonderful momma, very attentive. She had four babies, three boys, one girl.

Unfortunately, three of her babies are all black, just like her. These were named Huey, Dewey, and Louie. We thought we were terribly clever. We told them apart by the extremely descriptive "Huey is the big one, Louie is the really little one, and Dewey is whoever is left." Welllll, Huey is a girl. So I don't know! Her name is stuck, it's adorable. The other baby is mostly black with some brown stripes. He has a cute little brown paw, it's so adorable. His name is Dotty, because we were hoping he would be a girl. Alas.

As such we have no plans to give them up. We thought we could do it, but we're too much of saps. My only real concern is raising three boys together. Weening from momma was a terribly loud ordeal.

So we just recently built a new cage and the little boys were in love. They had mostly huddled together in their hidey in our small store bought cage and did nothing all day. The instant they got in their new cage, they started zooming and zooming and zooming all around back and forth oh my goodness is this a ramp!? The older ladies like their new cage, but I think we've upset their pecking order. Lucki has been humping the other girls (we've checked the fact that she is a girl many times) and Floppy seems to do nothing but curl up in the corner and lay down. I'm mildly worried about her. But she always gets up for food and sometimes I'll go by their cage and she is wandering around. I just think she lays down more. I'm considering separating her and her daughter from Daisy and Lucki, but I don't know. I'm worried they are being bullied.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0197.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	20681
    This is hard to tell, but I THINK little Louie is on the far left, clockwise rotating: Lucki, Floppy, Huey next to her, Dewey sticking out of the tunnel, Daisy and Dotty.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Re: ...And then there were seven.

Wow! What a story!

Don't feel bad about getting yours from a Petstore. I got one of mine from one, and I did feel bad about it for a bit, but I figure at least they are in a good home, so I 'saved' them from being in a bad one!

I'd love (and be in heaven) with 7 guinea pigs! Lucky you!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/87 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Wow, that's amazing! 7 piggies...just wow! All of the pigs are very cute, have you considered building a C&C cage for them? You would need to baby-proof it though...oh, how old did you say they were? Have you sexed them yet? If you can, you really need to seperate the boys from the girls. You could easily end up w/ more babies soon if you don't.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Their so cute! the babies remind me of when MY pig had babies, due to an accidental pregnancy. She had 4 babies, a smooth haired lethal, a colicke haired lethal, a smooth brown/black, and one that looks just like Daisy, we kept her and named her Carmen. You're going to have such a big happy family! Good Luck!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Oh, no worries! They are all separated. And checked 20 times. The vet sexed them for us, and then we checked ourselves repeatedly. The boys were pretty hard to miss. Especially now as they are a little older. They're three and a half weeks, almost four, really. We don't want any more babies!

We just finished building them a large C&C cage. They have a ton of room to run around. The girls, I'm worried are a little cramped still. I think that's the biggest reason we are considering separating them from our first two girls. Other than Lucki is a big bully. It is definitely baby-proofed. Huey is a very well-behaved lady. But Dewey, Louie and Dotty are total explorers. Little Louie is the leader of the pack. After putting him in for two seconds and he managed to slip between the little squares on his ramp (very, very close to the bottom) we were all up on the babyproofing. I think we got overeager to introduce them to their new home because it took soooo long to build. But they are all safe now. No worries there.

Seven is a lot of work. It takes a lot of dedication. I'm pretty much learning as I go here. We're both so dedicated, though. I love them all a lot. Even if my boys aren't interested in being held. And are fast like lightning. My Daisy used to be a big biter, and now she's a total cuddle monster. She likes to give me "kisses" through the cage. i.e. I put my face there and she comes to smell me. But whatevs, I'll take it! It's better than "run away!" It's a little overwhelming sometimes, and I have to work through "but I want to be lazy" days and just push forward. Because honestly, I wouldn't like having to run around in my own poop, so I shouldn't make them either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2907.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	20683
    These are the babies on their first day of life. They were so small and tiny! They're still small but I feel like they have grown immensely.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

oh my goodness your abyssinian is huge! the babies are so cute! you'll have to put little bows on them to tell them apart

Thanks
    Thanks
    140 Rec'd/97 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

WOW!!!! Awesome

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thank you! She is a big lady. But she is the oldest of them all. When we got her in early July, she had been at the pet store for almost a month they said. So, she could be who knows how old. I don't know if she's fat. I don't know how to tell if a guinea pig is overweight. She's a lot of fluff, I think. But I'm obviously no expert.

I think we're getting better at telling them apart. Just, when Dewey and Louie get older and their sizes even out, we'll just have to... go with the flow? They're so close right now, I would never want to separate them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

she doesn't appear to be overweight! if you compare her anatomy to the other's, she just looks like a "big-boned" guinea pig. her ear appears much larger and her head appears larger.

i really want an aby in the future, i've read they grow to be a bit larger than any other guinea pigs out there. i have two crested girls right now and they are super petite. one recently turned a year old and the other is probably 7-9 months old now.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieri View Post
    i really want an aby in the future, i've read they grow to be a bit larger than any other guinea pigs out there.
    I've been in love with Abyssinians since many of you were in diapers. My boy is about 14 mos. old and seems to be fully grown. He did go through a late growth spurt. He presently weighs 1130gm/2.8 lbs. I would judge him to be of average bone structure and size based on appearance when bathing him.

I do believe that they tend to be mischievous and quite "busy" based on my experience with them. Surely others will chime in.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ellisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    387 Rec'd/297 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I do believe that they tend to be mischievous and quite "busy" based on my experience with them. Surely others will chime in.
    I've had my aby for almost a month. She's my first female and my first aby so I'm not sure whether to base her personality on gender or breed. She is as quick as a whip! She doesn't miss a thing! She loves to cuddle during lap time, but during floor time boy can she run!!! I've never seen a piggie that can rip as fast as she can
    She's crazy and I love it Can't wait to adopt her a buddy to chase around.

Thanks
    Thanks
    38 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

My Shelby is an Aby too and is crazy! He's such an entertainment, and the biggest love ever.

Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Oh they are all just too cute! My Roger is an Abby and we call him the "Mighty Explorer" he is also our largest weighing in at 3lbs 1oz. He is the only one that helps me with the housework at least he thinks he's helping!
    You may know this already but there is a dirty little secret about raising boys, they need to have their perineal sacs checked and cleaned on a weekly basis. 2 out of 4 of my guys have hoarding issues with junk in their trunks and the other 2 are clean as a whistle??? I'm not sure at what age this starts because I only found out about it after my boys went through puberty. You can type it into the search box above and see past threads with some helpful links.

14. "Thank you, Hhbean, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hhbean View Post
    You may know this already but there is a dirty little secret about raising boys, they need to have their perineal sacs checked and cleaned on a weekly basis. 2 out of 4 of my guys have hoarding issues with junk in their trunks and the other 2 are clean as a whistle??? I'm not sure at what age this starts because I only found out about it after my boys went through puberty. You can type it into the search box above and see past threads with some helpful links.
    Oh, man. Thank you so much! I think I read something like that a very long time ago when I first got my babies, but quickly discarded it thinking "hey, I'll never have boys!" ... Yeah. In any case, I really appreciate that. I knew there was bound to be something different about caring for them. I will research it!

As far as Abyssinians go! Oh gosh. I always thought Daisy was just.... special. If you know what I mean. When we only had two, she was the troublemaker. If I put anything in their cage, it is never in the right place, so she moves it for me. She doesn't like things against walls, while I find it more ascetically pleasing. So I put the cage together, and she rearranges. When we had a pigloo, she didn't like it to be functional and constantly flipped it over and sat in it. Super fun, that was. So my poor Lucki was constantly without a place to hide because Daisy has a huge personality! Haha. Eventually we got a wooden hidey that was too heavy for her to flip. Well... most of the time.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teneraestnox View Post
    If I put anything in their cage, it is never in the right place, so she moves it for me. She doesn't like things against walls, while I find it more ascetically pleasing. So I put the cage together, and she rearranges.
    Chester does the same thing.......I put his cozy sack and cuddle cup in the cage and he pushes it out away from the walls. He has a wooden tunnel that he is almost too big to fit into, and he will go through it and carry it on his back like a turtle until its location suits him.

User Tag List