Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting On My Way!!

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
OK! So this is EXTREMELY last minute and nothing like me on a regular basis, but yesterday I texted a woman who had an ad on Craigslist that said that she needed to re home her guinea pig because she was having surgery and it would take months] to recover from. [I didn't ask what kind of surgery, didn't think it was any of my business] Anyways! So I told her about myself, she told me about herself and her pig. Then she asked if I would be able to adopt her. I just out-of-the-blue said "Sure thing!" and am now on my way to go pick her up!!! I'll let everyone know when I come home with her. So excited!:cool:

[I'm probably going to be a few minutes late because I'm typing this. haha]

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new piggy. I hope all goes well.

Make sure to check "her" to make sure "she" was sexed properly.

Safe Travels!!!

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Good luck with getting your new piggie, when you get her I am sure plenty of people will want to see some pigtures! :)

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Good luck ! Keep us posted. Ditto on checking the sex of the new pig.

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
I feel like my whole day is ruined. So we had plans to meet at Kings a 4 o'clock this afternoon. After I posted this I made my way over there and while I was about half way, she called me and said she would be in the very last parking spot in the corner of the lot. I, of course being as excited as I was, said "AWESOME! See you in 10 minutes!!" and hung up my phone [because I know. . . it's dangerous to drive and talk on your phone.]
I arrive to at the restraunt parking lot a little over 10 minutes later [it was actually 11. I'm weird and look at the clock a lot.] and I go to the corner of the lot I suspected she was talking about. I couldn't do into the very corner spot because there was a bardboard box in the middle of it, but I parked 2 spots over. She said she would be in a red pickup so I knew what I was looking for. I sat in that spot and waited.

And waited.

And waited. . .:?:

After 15 minutes [which felt like much longer than that by the way] I texted her. And waited.
5 minutes later I just decided to get out of my car because the sun was finally shining and it's felt like so long since I have had it touch my skin. I casually walk around, kicking rocks and checking my phone every ten seconds. I walk the 2 parking spots over to me and go to kick the cardboard box sitting there and saw something move! I'm guessing you know where this is going now. . . She had left the guinea pig in a small cardboard box/ shoe box looking thing and has cut off all contact with me. I don't know anything about her but a voice and name.
This is the guinea pig she "lovingly" called Princess Spike.
DSCN1853.jpg

And to top the whole ruined first-time-adopting feeling, Princess Spike is just this pigs drag queen name. And "she" is a he. With large testicles.
I immediately took him to my vet in a panic and he was given a clean bill of health. Yay? :sorry:

Yeah, this is my first time ever going out of my way to adopt a needy guinea pig and his family and this is what happens. I don't want it to scare me into not ever doing this again but the whole experience has already caused much anxiety and completely ruined any future plans I had for my potential herds.

[I currently have 2 boys, Bocefus and Waylon, who were to be neutered in the next 2 weeks and this "girl" was going to be one of their first girlfriends. I don't have the means or the boyfried-support to start a possible third cage but HATE the idea of going to save this pig and just giving him to my friend who runs a rescue. It's been 20 minutes now since we've been home and I feel terrible and do not know what to do. What should I do? How should I handle this? I know I'm being irrational but my brain is going a mile a minute and I can feel my blood pulsing through my body to my hearts fast beating.]

--He is currently in a store bought My First Home guinea pig cage that I bought when I first got Bocefus. It's set up in the living room, on a completely different floor than my other pigs as to quarantine. He's going to have to stay there until I either figure out what's happening with him or upgrade my current cage. This is one of those times when a lot of different swear words pop into my head. . .

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
Awe hun Im so sorry its been so rough. I too was told one of my pigs was a girl and didnt realize it til one of the girls started looking really pregnant and I checked them all and yup one was a boy. Congrats on seeing that early on. Do you think maybe after quarentine you might be able to introduce them all and see if just maybe they will all get along in the one cage. And you did a very good thing rescuing him from that horrible woman even if you do end up giving him to a shelter.

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
Wow! I think it's a good thing you got him (even though he's not what you expected and didn't go down as you thought it was going to)! Imagine what would have happened had you not investigated the box left in the parking lot? He proabably would have gotten run over. This might be a dumb question, but why not introduce him to your boys? It would save you money because you won't have to neuter them and you could use the money to buy another box of grids to possible expand your existing cage. I believe that sometimes things happen for a reason and it seems like you found this little guy in the nick of time! If she was willing to just leave him in a box in a parking lot she would have probably been willing to give him away as snake food. He is very lucky to have found you. He is really cute too!

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
I've been going over it again and again and I'm not sure what pulled me over to that box. Maybe it was past soccer playing urging me to kick everything in sight or maybe it was some sense of curiosity to see what was inside, but I am SO thankful that I did decide to check it out.

One of the main reason that I was already planning on getting Bocefus and Waylon neutered and split up is that they haven't been getting along. They were both by themselves for a little bit and it seemed to help once I tried giving them a little floor time together. They still squabble but I'm sure a larger cage would help that.

I guess I have questions then if I were to try and introduce him.
1] I would need something like a 3x4 to have them in?
2] If I had another cage in the same room that housed females, would the cage with THREE boys fight once they smelled females or when the females were in heat? [[that scares me so much]]
3] AJGMWSKWOMF?! haha. I guess that's not a question, but that's how I feel right now.

My boyfriend is going to be pretty upset and just give me a lot of I-told-you-so 's. Bleh.

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
Also. I can tell he's obviously a crested guinea pig, but what else would he be if he has such long butt hair? Peruvian maybe?

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
LOL thats what my hubby does and we've been married almost 17 yrs. it never ends :) It will work out and if it doesnt you have your friend with the rescue that can take him in and find him a home :)

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
1] I would need something like a 3x4 to have them in?
2] If I had another cage in the same room that housed females, would the cage with THREE boys fight once they smelled females or when the females were in heat? [[that scares me so much]]

1. Yes, you would probably want a 4x3 for 3 boars.

2. Having the sows too close to the boars can make the boars go nuts. Also, many people have failed trying to have a sow live with two boars in the same cage... are you going to be able to have two cages if moving a sow in with the boars doesn't work out? If you get a female, I would be prepared to have a separate cage for her and a future friend if the boys can't get along with a sow.

Terrible to think that someone would dump him like that. He is really lucky that you are the one who came for him.

sidhashair

Cavy Slave
I think, rather than being bummed your first attempt at rescue didn't go as you expected, you should be THRILLED that you answered the ad, and was able to get a pig away from a person that was willing to leave him in a cardboard box in a parking lot. It's also a bonus that, since he was mis-sexed, that he didn't go to a home with girl pigs, because obviously we all know where that would have led. So, really, pig-wise you did the best thing possible. Even if you can't keep him, you played a crucial role in getting him to a safe place. Who knows where he would have ended up otherwise. Seriously, I would be overjoyed if I were you! Be happy! You did a good thing! Yay! Best day ever! Be filled with the warm glow of do-goodingness!

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
Thank you, @sidhashair for such kind words! I am pretty pleased with myself that I was able to help him out, even if it doesn't end up like either of us wanted. Things do happen for a reason and even if he ends up at the rescue, he wouldn't have gotten there if it wasn't for me. The warm glow of do-goodingness is growing brighter the longer I sit here watching him vaccuum up some orchard grass with his huge pig lips.

And @SurfingPigs , I guess I'm just confused because I've heard such conflicting ideas. Some say that they boars won't be upset at all with females within smelling distance as long as they don't come into direct contact. But I have also read [I think somewhere on this site] that a boar has climbed up grids just to get at a sow in heat. I appreciate your help though!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd just expand the cage and keep the three males. You'll save a fortune on the surgeries. This guy is incredibly cute..... If you still want some females, have a separate cage with females. I have three cages. Three females in one, two females in one and a senior male and a neutered... yes, neutered male in the other cage. I had the neutered male in with the three females and after I took in the senior male, I felt bad for him being by himself. I was going to have him neutered but the woman who runs the rescue thinks he's really old and was concerned it would be too risky for him. So, I decided to house the boys together and it's worked out fine.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thank you, @sidhashair for such kind words! I am pretty pleased with myself that I was able to help him out, even if it doesn't end up like either of us wanted. Things do happen for a reason and even if he ends up at the rescue, he wouldn't have gotten there if it wasn't for me. The warm glow of do-goodingness is growing brighter the longer I sit here watching him vaccuum up some orchard grass with his huge pig lips.

And @SurfingPigs , I guess I'm just confused because I've heard such conflicting ideas. Some say that they boars won't be upset at all with females within smelling distance as long as they don't come into direct contact. But I have also read [I think somewhere on this site] that a boar has climbed up grids just to get at a sow in heat. I appreciate your help though!

I have two males 40" from two cages of females and they have never fought. In fact, they are very compatible and laid back. Maybe it just has to do with their personalities.

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
I have two males 40" from two cages of females and they have never fought. In fact, they are very compatible and laid back. Maybe it just has to do with their personalities.

That pretty much matches up with what my rescue friend was saying, that it really shouldn't be much of a factor. But it still worries me a bit.

Well, after a few hours of just chilling in the same room together he is already comfortable enough to walk around his cage and eat and drink. Even when we stand up and walk and talk he just keeps doing his own thing, which is a good sign I suppose.
I've had problems coming up with names. I have a BUNCH saved in a Word document every time I think of one, but I can't decide. Any suggestions?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Wow! It's a very good thing that you checked the box. I hate to think what would of happened to him if he fell into the wrong hands or was never found at all. I think you did a very wonderful thing.
If I were in your situation, I would upgrade the cage your two boars are in now and introduce this guy to your herd. He is a very cute little guy.

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
Sexing issues happen often. I went to pick up a free to good home pig today that they called "Browny" and said she was a sweet little girl. Browny is...not a girl, obviously.
I don't know what could have given it away to them. Errr...maybe the male parts! D:
But don't worry, it's not always that way. I have gotten pigs from great situations and horrible ones.

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
What a sad story with such a happy ending. So glad he is with you now :)

ItsAmandaYall

Cavy Slave
Ugh, that just makes me sick! I cannot stand when people go out of their way to help and they get crapped on. I was in another forum for birds and a member decided to adopt another members bird. The member selling the bird claimed the bird was in perfect health etc, etc. but when the member got the bird and brought it to the vet it was in need of medical attention and this was like 3 weeks before xmas so she felt terrible b/c she had to think of helping the bird or having presents for her family. So of course she contacted the member asking politely for assistance with the medical bills and the woman started harassing her and claimed she was going to take the bird back and sue her! And this woman was trying to help out, I'm not a member of that forum anymore but just thinking about it fills me with rage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.