Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Oxbow vs. KMS

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
Aside from Oxbow potentially contributing to bladder stones, what are some of the differences between Oxbow and Kleenmama pellets? I have heard great things about KMS pellets (I feed Oxbow Cavy Performance now because they are under 6 mnths) and am thinking of switching over the next time I need to order them. Is there a huge difference nutrition wise?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Someone else will have to chime in about the nutritional content, but one of the biggest difference makers for me, aside from the calcium that is used in Oxbow, is the hay that is used. Yes, Oxbow does have some good hay, but it isn't nearly as good as KMS hay, in my opinion. Good hay makes good pellets.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think "boxed" Oxbow hay is as good as KM hay. I've fed both to my guinea pigs and they were both high quality and my pigs love them both. Oxbow is cheaper for me so I buy 50 lbs of orchard grass from Pet Supplies Plus. They contact their Oxbow rep when I order it and it's delivered to my store on Tuesdays when they get their Oxbow deliveries. I don't think any bagged hays are usually very good. I think the bags sit on the store shelves and deteriorate. As far as pellets, I've used both. Oxbow pellets are smaller and seem to be a little harder than the KM pellets. I think my guinea pigs prefer the taste of the KM pellets. I've mixed them both in there bowls and they've eaten all of it, though, so they don't dislike the Oxbow.

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
Ive fed both brands of pellets at the same time to see which the piggies preferred and it was KMS hands down. All 4 pigs went crazy for the KMS ones.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I recently (in last 2 weeks) switched my boys from Oxbow to KMS.
My boys have not taken to it very well.
I am gonna be patient. It may just take them a bit to get adjusted.
And because I bought a 20 lb bag of KMS and will have to donate it somewhere if they don't take to it eventually.

But for me - I think the KMS looks and smells fresher.

Fingers crossed my boys come around soon!

Piglicious

Cavy Slave
i have not tried oxbow but i feed KM's and all 5 of my pigs love these pellets! when i was feeding sweet meadow they liked them ok but not enthusiastic about them...but with KM's they wheek and run laps and popcorn when i rattle the containers that i keep the pellets in

so its KM's hand down for me and my pigs

Delaine

Cavy Slave
If I could get KMs pellets I would use them. Unfortunately we can't get them in Canada. Oxbow uses limestone (calcium carbonate) for the calcium which may contribute to the stones, I don't really know. I looked on KM ingredient list but wasn't able to identify the calcium source. If anyone can locate it I would like to know. Also KM pellet's Vit C is 450mg/lb. and Oxbow's adult pellets are 400mg/Kg. Quite a difference considering there is 2.2 lbs. per Kg. Oxbow's pellets are really shiny compared to my other pellets so I wonder if they are coated in something. Also Oxbow has Lignin Sulfonate (a by product of the pulp and paper industry) to bind the pellets together. I feel like moving to the U.S. just so I can get KM's pellets. My piggies and I are quite jealous.

HolyCowBunny

Cavy Slave
If I could get KMs pellets I would use them. Unfortunately we can't get them in Canada.
According to KM's website, they ship pellets internationally (but not hay.) You'll want to verify, but it's right in her FAQ section.

Delaine

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. I was on the KM site last night but I am pretty hopeless at this online buying. I will look into further tomorrow. Much cheaper than moving.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.