Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Guinea Pig URI. NEED ASAP?!

CavyCraziness

Cavy Slave
Hey! I'm brand new to this site. I have two beautiful piggies, their names are Sage and Charlotte. 005.jpgCharlotte in the front, Sage in the back.
Sage has gotten a URI. It is confirmed, because me and my mom took Sage to the vet yesterday. She is now taking a Syrup like cherry medicine, every 12 hours. The two girls share a 2x5 c and c cage, and it is spot cleaned every day. They have a corner litter box, with a towel in it. It used to have Aspen, but people have been telling me it's so bad for them. I've always used Aspen, so I don't know what to do. They're cage is layered by two towels, and two fleeces. The fleece is almost never moist, only in the places they pee the most. I change the fleece 2 times a week now that Sage has a URI. I used to change it once a week. They get fresh veggies every day, about a cup each. I use lot's of greens, and some bell peppers to add vitamine C. Now, to the question part. I didn't quite know that URI's we're contagious. Is it too late to separate them? People say that it's about a 50/50% chance for them to get it. Sage has had it since last week, and we took her yesterday. I'm confused with what to do. :eye-poppi I'm afraid that Charlotte may get it, but all she's been doing is sneezing, not everyday, more like, once every other day. Is this normal? I was going to separate them today, but I'm guessing it's too late to. I only have a 1x2 store bought cage set aside for an emergency. It's obviously too small for one pig, so I don't know what to do. If you could tell me anything you know? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they've been together all this time, there's no point in separating them now. Just watch Charlotte and make sure her nose and eyes aren't runny and that she isn't acting sick.

I don't know who's telling you that aspen is bad for them, but that's not the case. Dusty bedding is sometimes a problem, but aspen is usually not very dusty. I used aspen in my pigs' litter boxes and kitchens for over a year, and never had any kind of a problem.

I don't know what the medicine is that the vet is giving Sage, but I assume it's an antibiotic. That means you should watch her very carefully to make sure she's eating and pooping enough. Weigh her daily, before breakfast, and record her weights so you'll know if she starts to lose weight. Guinea pigs do not usually tolerate antibiotics very well, and you may have to hand feed her.

CavyCraziness

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you:)
People from Youtube, etc. I have been getting things from the same person, telling me it can kill them, I'm just removing it for now, JUST in case. I will weight Sage tomorrow morning before school, or after. She has been eating a lot of hay, and drinking water.
Thank you for telling me that. :) I will keep that in mind. I will watch her carefully. If she doesn't eat, I will most definatly hand feed her.
Thank you so much for your help. :)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I've also used aspen, and with no problem at all.

I wouldn't rely on anything at all from YouTube in the way of animal care advice.

I would weigh both pigs daily for the time being, and be sure to do it at or around the same time each day, because their weights can fluctuate throughout the day and you want to get the most consistent reading.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.