Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Pooping/Peeing blood, 3 possible illnesses, & a few other questions for you guys..

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Re: Pooping/Peeing blood, 3 possible illnesses, & a few other questions for you guys.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your piggy. I have been reading the tread but haven't had much to offer in the way of advice. She was a bueatiful girl.

C_Elise

Cavy Slave
Re: Pooping/Peeing blood, 3 possible illnesses, & a few other questions for you guys.

C_Elise, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but I read back through your thread, and I don't see where you said that you force fed her. I see where you said you tried, and you offered her food, but not that you fed her.

That's the point I was trying to get across -- that it's not an option for the pig to refuse. You have to insist, before she gets so sick she can't eat, that she is going to eat what you're syringe feeding her. Most people are way too timid when doing that, and it's the pig that ultimately suffers.

Wow, really? Well if youre going to keep this up, this was a response back to YOU actually, when I was satisfied that although she was not eating pellets or hay on her own, she was eating celery just fine on her own which you took as I had only given her 1/4th a piece of celery, and here was my response:
Picture 2.jpg
And the next screen shot is of me coming to you guys for advice, (because isn't that what a forum is for?..), because I stated what my difficulty was and I was frustrated that she wasn't consuming enough, so I was seeking advice for maybe a better more effective way considering it was taking much longer my way (which points towards the fact that I was force feeding her)
Picture 3.jpg
And the last screen shot response I have to share where I again, blatantly wrote about force feeding her with a syringe, I again was explaining to you all my frustration with how I felt it shouldn't be as hard as it was, hoping I'd get some alternative advice like, "oh hey I had the same issue but I did this ______ instead!", but I wrote that I was accepting the fact that it was difficult as hell and that the syringe would frequently get lodged with pellet pieces and I would have to pause frequently to unlodge the syringe. I even stated that because I was paranoid she wasn't consuming as much as I thought she should, that I was going to feed her more frequently throughout the day than the recommended 4 - 6 feeding times per day.
Picture 4.jpg

Today was in fact the only day since I started this thread that I was unable to force feed her, yes. Thank you for pointing that out to me and hinting towards she died because of me. Don't you think I'm already upset by the fact that I of course realize the possible reason behind her death today is because I literally could not get her to eat a single drop? No matter how much I pumped into her mouth she didn't swallow a single bit of it for hours while I sat there and fought with her to get her to swallow even hopefully ONE bite. She remained perfectly still, where as the previous days she turned her head every which way to fight off the syringe from entering her mouth. Today she just was as still as can be eat time, letting me slip the syringe in and out between her lips and it would just fill her mouth full then begin over flowing out the sides of her mouth down her chin and chest. Today was different. I wasn't timid, I sat for hours working at it, she wasn't going to give. But you're making me feel awfully wonderful 3 1/2 hours after I find my girl dead with Vanek huddled by her side.
I understand you care greatly about pigs, but don't think youre the only one out there. Have a heart, Bpatters. Get over yourself and get off your high horse here. READ, don't skim through, because I made it clear that I was feeding her, having a tough time while doing it, feeling frustrated and defeated at times, but I was determined and kept to it and didn't quit.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

I had a long post written out but decided that it would do no good to go into it now. I just want to say that I think the vet could have done more.

I am sincerely sorry she is gone. It's so hard to put your all into nursing a sick pet only to lose her.

C_Elise

Cavy Slave

[MENTION=13918]foggycreekcavy[/MENTION] I feel the same way truthfully. I mean each visit was 2 minutes max with the actual exotic vet, and then a nurse would come in and we'd chat about what he said and just pigs in general for 10+ minutes. I even said to my boyfriend today when we got back how vague and unclear he was, I've never experienced that before at any vet when I take my cats and dogs. But part of me unfortunately thinks he was avoiding taking serious direction with the situation (like getting her a x-ray like she needed to rule out the two probable illnesses still on the table) because he knew I was in a bind with money and borrowing it, so I think he was holding off and going the cheapest route for me, when I never said to him I had to keep costs low at all ever.
But my father is also upset that I went to this particular vet because apparently my family has a bad history with him and my dad told me he's scum and the worst.. Wish he would have said something SOONER.. ugh.. But apparently our first dog apparently was taken by the dog catcher and brought to the vets because she had no dog tags, he gave her shots and she was held until my dad went and got her, when my dad found out, apparently she had just gotten all of her shots a month earlier, so he went enraged at the vet concerned he had overdosed her because apparently this vet had no idea who she was or where she had come from (even though he'd been seeing my dog for the past 8 years and like I said, we live in a small town) and another instance we had was our first cat ended up dying from that Iams cat food incident.. she had Kidney Failure and my parents had a vet bill from this guy for $1,200 to try and save her, after about a week my dad went requesting to put her to sleep because she was just in SO much pain, and the nurse said, "yeah, pets with kidney failure are pretty much impossible to recover and bring back." so he I guess scammed us out of over a grand.. I mean I knew we had been taking my cat and my dog who passed in October to the Vet the next town over, but I knew this guy was said to be one of the best when it came to exotic pets, but who really knows now.. Not much can be done other than taking my piggies to a more personable, friendly vet whose willing to talk to me for more than 2 minutes at a time. I definitely am wanting to take Vanek (Wednesdays cage mate) to ensure she doesnt have pneumonia also.. There aren't any signs, but I just want to be sure. I also have another concern with her that I just discovered today, so we'll see.... But thank you, it really means a lot.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave

I'm very sorry to hear about your piggy. I'm also sorry that people on this site sometimes forget what it's like to deal with a sick piggy for the first time and how sad you are when they pass. I'd like to say that I really think she may have had a stone. I have a stone pig and her symptoms are pretty spot on. We went through surgery with him and after 5 months it returned. He's on pain meds and antibiotics to help him live painfree until the stone grows too big. Then he'll have to go over the rainbow bridge too.

Force feeding is very hard, I too have struggled with a pig that would just let it run out of his mouth (he was SO zonked out on meds), then you fear sticking it in further, because they warn that pigs have no gag reflex and can choke to death! It's very scary! Now that I (and said piggy) have survived the experience, I know how to do it and feel more confident in my abilities, but I sympathize with your struggle.

This site has very helpful information, and we forget to give the newbies a break sometimes. When you are feeling better, feel free to read through the different forums to get a feel for all the different illness/conditions, so you don't panic at every strange turn of events, like I did. We've now dealt with mites, grease glands, bumblefoot, stones, surgery and every time i learned out the condition for the first time and felt utterly panicked. I've started reading a lot so I least know what I'm looking at when I'm looking at it... :) And, find a new vet now, before you need one.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

I'm also sorry that people on this site sometimes forget what it's like to deal with a sick piggy for the first time and how sad you are when they pass

Okay, not speaking for bpatters, who I am sure you meant by that statement, but I am pretty sure she has not forgotten what it's like to deal with a sick pig and be devastated at their loss.

and we forget to give the newbies a break sometimes.

Actually, this site is one of the better for giving new people a break.

C_Elise

Cavy Slave

Thank you, It is hard.. Especially because I'm in my early twenties, still living at home (damn economy) with my family.. I've never had to deal with the death of a pet like I did Wednesday, each time fortunately, the pet would die or be put down and my dad would be the one to find the body, bury it, etc. I was equally sad each time, especially this past october my dog Jenna, who was 15 (For an Australian Shepherd thats old) died and I still find myself in tears from time to time because I had her for more than half of my life..
But Wednesday was the first body of a pet I had to encounter because it was just my boyfriend and I home when she passed. So it's been very difficult. I always knew it would happen but not this soon into her life. And I did always get anxious/nervous when I thought about it and realized this would be my first time really experiencing a pet die since I am the only care taker, they live in my bedroom with me. So yeah, its hard. Losing a pet is always hard, they really are family.
I'm thankful I found this site to get some ideas and find information, I am having mini heart attacks regarding symptoms of other illnesses I may have seen in my other two pigs from time to time, but they're getting appointments made to cross those bridges before it escalates IF they have anything even.
But thank you, this site has been helpful and I am thankful I was flooded with all the information and advice people had for me and Wednesday during this terrible weekend..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.