Thanks
    64 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Re: Update on GP we found in a bush - Juniper

Quote Originally Posted by Hitosorai View Post
    that is one awesome pig, so cute and so small to when I look at him compared to his kibble, he looks real young :P you've Accquired a very cute and obviously happy to be with you pig, I'm very happy.
    I'm hoping someone, some day can tell me about how old he is. That's not a pellet though, that's some fuzzy part of the timothy hay he's chowing down on. I feel like he's full grown but then what do I know? I haven't had much to do with guinea pigs since I was a young girl.

Speaking of that, there was no way I could have just let him stay out there without at least trying to catch him b/c I do have wonderful memories of my piggies from when I was a girl. I couldn't have done it with any animal (except snakes, those things can all go Hades - don't fuss at me snake lovers) that's in a place they shouldn't be. I'm the idiot chasing stray cats through walmart parking lot with a can of food.

I hope he's happy. I feel like he is. But I need to find some time to sit down and read more about their behaviors and sounds and all the care type things that are more than 'feed, water, clean cage'. I have stuff bookmarked but if ya'll have favorite stuff, please suggest/link it to me!

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieri View Post
    ahhhh! he has such beautiful fur. i take it you are keeping him then?!
    Well, we are for the moment. I have contacted a rescue and he is on their adoption board but he's fine here until and if the right home comes along. She was very honest with me that not many people come to her for a guinea pig. She said she has foster homes though if I feel like it's too much. After a few days I know the care isn't that much or time consuming but I'm not doing this floor time stuff that I read about. He gets loves at night after the kiddo is in bed and that's about his only out of cage time. I think he deserves better. Plus we're military, we know we'll be moving in about a year. And I had a hard enough time moving with 3 dogs, a cat and baby. AND we're about 90% sure we're going to Alaska which means they will be flying us and that is just a whole other ballgame. We'll see though. I'm not going to put him back into a home where I think there is even a sliver of a chance that he will end up outside again. If it comes down to that or us, I would think he's better off with limited out of cage time than to be out in the wild.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mommazilla View Post
    I'm hoping someone, some day can tell me about how old he is. That's not a pellet though, that's some fuzzy part of the timothy hay he's chowing down on. I feel like he's full grown but then what do I know? I haven't had much to do with guinea pigs since I was a young girl.

Speaking of that, there was no way I could have just let him stay out there without at least trying to catch him b/c I do have wonderful memories of my piggies from when I was a girl. I couldn't have done it with any animal (except snakes, those things can all go Hades - don't fuss at me snake lovers) that's in a place they shouldn't be. I'm the idiot chasing stray cats through walmart parking lot with a can of food.

I hope he's happy. I feel like he is. But I need to find some time to sit down and read more about their behaviors and sounds and all the care type things that are more than 'feed, water, clean cage'. I have stuff bookmarked but if ya'll have favorite stuff, please suggest/link it to me!
    Your piggy looks relitivley young either way, I'll say it is younger then two and more than 10 months if thats a bit of hay, hmmmm well just really as long as you do the basics, give the piggy attention and make sure it gets exercise as well as mix up his homes pattern every so often.

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Maybe a vet can tell me.

So tonight he saw my husband walk by and he started raising a stink. So we went to see what was up and he was completely out of water. It was reassuring that he'll let us know instead of going withou. Then before bed I put him in our walk in closet for floor time, he had a friggin blast! Popcorning, stretching, running, wheeking, and even some butt dragging. I just need to piggy proof and I'll put him in there more often.

Excuse my typos, I'm doing this from a phone with flat letters and I have fat thumbs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Thank you for keeping us updated! He is just too cute!

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Today I used some extra grids I had and made a barrier for the kitchen. So he's had floor time twice in my kitchen and he loves it.

And in other news, my kid now 'wheeks' (and it's a shrill of a sound) when Juniper does. I'm pretty sure they think it's a contest.

Thanks
    Thanks
    38 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

OMG beautiful piggy!!! I followed the other thread, it was quite entertaining . I wish you lived closer, I would absolutely adopt him as a friend for my Shelby!

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Super sweet of you , kourt! I'm in no hurry to find a home for him, though. In fact, I'm thinking of fostering another piggie so he has a friend. Color me crazy b/c at first I was worried I wouldn't have time for him. Now my only concern is moving him the next time the army says go (and the likelihood that they will say 'go overseas which equals way too expensive to move all our pets)

User Tag List