Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergy to Timothy Hay

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
I am getting severe migraines when I am around my babies Timothy Hay. Is there anything I can do? Any alternatives to Timothy Hay? Getting rid of her is out of the question. I will deal with it if I have to. Just seeing if there is anyone out there who has some tips to make this easier on me.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Orchard Grass or Blue Grass is another option. You can get those at most pet stores. =D

betty

Cavy Slave
My husband is severly allergic to timothy as well, but has absolutely no reaction to orchard grass. Oxbow brand has good quality grass that you can easily buy online or at major pet stores. Also, the pigs love it!

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Orchard grass! I saw that at petsmart. Thanks guys! I am in pain, but I love my baby too much. Its making me so sad. I just went and stood by her cage, and it made it 10x worse. I wonder why I didn't have problems with it before.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Orchard grass! I saw that at petsmart. Thanks guys! I am in pain, but I love my baby too much. Its making me so sad. I just went and stood by her cage, and it made it 10x worse. I wonder why I didn't have problems with it before.

I'm really allergic to timothy hay, too, so I only buy orchard grass.

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
Another tip Crystalkate - If you want to save $$, you can buy some orchard grass in semibulk quantities. For example, you could buy 10 or 25 lbs, depending on storage space you have or don't have. I buy orchard grass from my local rescue. It's about 15 lbs for only $10. Oxbow orchard grass is sold at Petsmart at $6 for less than a pound! Just a thought...

betty

Cavy Slave
I buy my oxbow orchard grass at petsmart too. The small bag lasts at least 4 weeks for my one girl at costs around $6. I just added a new baby so that amount will probably increase.

Overall I find the oxbow brand very good and they grass is nice and green and fresh, it also smells really good!

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Yea sorry for bringing it up after its been discussed. I am blaming this migraine for my stupidity of not searching first... Usually I do lol I am off to Petsmart right now.

Dudleydoo

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to jump in and say that I went through the same thing about a month ago when we adopted our piggie.

I think I even posted about it too, I was getting migraines and hives covering my body. I emailed Oxbow and someone got back to me saying, "Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry and comments...Hay is a natural product and can vary from crop to crop, field to field and even within a field. We have had some crops over the past harvests that were impacted by an extremely dry time. You will find that all of the hay that ships from our docks meets our guaranteed analysis and has the proper stem to leaf ratio that your little one needs, but within the guaranteed analysis there are ranges of moisture etc. so they can differ each time we receive them. All living things produce a type of dust and each hay species will have its own specific type of dust. Those companions and humans that have more of a tendency to be bothered by timothy dust will find they are not bothered by other variety of hay dusts, specifically our Orchard Grass. Our Western Timothy and Orchard Grass are both grass hay varieties, neither one are legumes like alfalfa. Both of those hays have equal guaranteed analysis and do the exact same thing for your guinea pigs physiology."

I know this is what you have been told by everyone else, but I just thought I would share the response from Oxbow as well, it appears they had a dry season for their hays. Anyway, we switched Dudley over to Orchard Grass and not only does he like it better than timothy hay, I no longer itch like crazy and get a headache. I still get a little stuffy, but I am allergic to pretty much anything that grows outside =)

KD006

Cavy Slave
Thanks for this information, I had a cold before New Years and we adopted our furry friend a few days after new years. Now it is 3 weeks later and we are both still coughing and sneezing so I will have to try the orchard hay if I can find it or ask my feed mill to order it in.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It will make a huge difference. I sneeze, can't breathe and get itchy, swollen eyes when I use timothy. I have no problems with the orchard grass.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
I switched her to Orchard Grass and it has helped me a lot!! Just like you though Dudleydoo, it still bothers me a bit, but not enough to get frustrated over it. I just make sure I stuff her hay rack with as much of it as I can, that way I don't have to suffer from it as much. Gosh I cringe just thinking about Timothy Hay now LOL

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Whew I have a hard time even walking past it in the store now! That's some crazy stuff.

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
My daughter is having the same problem with the timothy and I am switching back to the orchard/blue grass today as she was fine with that before :)

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
It's interesting how different types of grass affect us.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I buy my oxbow orchard grass at petsmart too. The small bag lasts at least 4 weeks for my one girl at costs around $6. I just added a new baby so that amount will probably increase.

Overall I find the oxbow brand very good and they grass is nice and green and fresh, it also smells really good!

4 weeks for less than a pound of hay? Are you feeding it unlimited amounts? One of those bags lasts like a day for my two girls...

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
4 weeks for less than a pound of hay? Are you feeding it unlimited amounts? One of those bags lasts like a day for my two girls...

I second that. Granted I have 3 sows and a boar... I found that I was pretty stingy with the hay when I bought small bags. Now that I buy in bulk for SO much cheaper, I give them hay all the time. They eat it, play in it, tunnel through it, pee in it, poo in it, and have a blast. Once a day I toss out the soiled hay and replace!

sfrangu

Cavy Slave
TCTrun, how did you get them to sell their hay to you? Do you volunteer there?

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
No. I did adopt two guinea pigs from them, but I don't think that is even necessary. They get hay by the bale and sell it in good size boxes, probably for a small profit. It's a win-win. You get excellent quality hay for much cheaper than the pet store, and they make some money to fund the rescue. You can call or email them and ask that they bring a box or two to an adoption event near you.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
I am sure some pigs eat less. My girl gets unlimited and her small bag lasts around 2.5 weeks, sometimes 3 weeks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.